Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Game freezing when played from HDD

I am playing Tomb Raider from my 360 HDD. On the last level I was about halfway through and it just froze. I rebooted and had to start from the begining of the level again and it froze near the very start.

It is an Arita disc from Shopneo which havn't been causing me any problems at all and a Benq drive. I was wondering does the 360 just check that the right disc is in the drive and leave it at that or is it looking for something on the disc the whole time? I thought the idea of HDD loading was to stop having to check the disc but I don't understand why the HDD would freeze unless it was a bad read when I loaded it on there, but if it were a bad read surely it would freeze at about the same point everytime?

The original freeze was during a video sequence but now it is during gameplay.

Cheers

EDIT: Just saw this thread, looks like I'm not the only one. Well done microsoft...

Uninstalled from my HDD but the disc is having the same problem, in fact everytime I try it it locks up quicker. Now about 5 seconds into the level it locks up... 360 is about a year old, has only been played regularly recently, used to go a month or two without playing it. Benq drive, 12x read speed.
    Last edited by evilsatan; 13th December 2008 at 06:59 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Game freezing when played from HDD

Just burnt Left 4 Dead, 2.4x as usual to Arita discs and same problem once copied to my HDD. I assume I will get the same problem from disc. What I don't understand though is why it happens in different places when played from HDD. I guess it must be my laser, will try Mirrors Edge which I completed without any lockups and is also an arita disc. This is the first time this console has ever had a problem.

Will try some of my other Aone backups too.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i read that thread and did a bit more digging, seems to be only the old 20 gig drives affected, the 120s seem to be the fasted with game speeds and reads, followed by a close second by 60s. odd.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by lithho View Post
    i read that thread and did a bit more digging, seems to be only the old 20 gig drives affected, the 120s seem to be the fasted with game speeds and reads, followed by a close second by 60s. odd.
    Is there any reasoning that the 20GB drives have this problem? Is it drive speeds? I might have to give xbox a call for a replacement drive. Problem then is it's a bitch transferring all data accross, takes ages using Xplorer360.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tried with tomb raider again this morning, was going to test if it froze with HDD unplugged running from disc and I managed to complete the game without any lockups at all. Very strange and only explanation I can think of is maybe corrupt sectors on the HDD? So when I played from the disc it might have affected the gamesave rather than the game ripped to HDD?