Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Shit Faecal transplant … (yes, it’s just what you think it is)

Before we get to the mechanics of the procedure, a digression is in order to explain the disease it is designed to treat. The problem is also unpleasant, but a serious, and growing, danger to our health. The technical name is Clostridium difficile enteritis, but is more commonly known as C. diff infection.

C. diff bacteria are everywhere in our environment, and many of us carry it in our intestines. Normally, it is kept in control by the many other forms of bacteria that reside in our gut. However, when a person takes powerful antibiotics, the majority of bacteria in the gut may be killed off. This allows the C. diff bacteria, which are hardier, to overgrow and produce large amounts of a toxin that inflames the intestines. In effect, this is similar to what happens to many women when they take antibiotics and end up with a yeast infection. The antibiotics kill the normal bacteria of the genital tract, allowing the yeast to take over and cause an infection. Yeast infections, while very unpleasant, are usually not dangerous. C. diff, on the other hand, can be very serious.

Some cases of C. diff infection are mild, causing diarrhea and abdominal cramping. But new strains of C. diff are emerging that produce more powerful toxins and can cause severe, even deadly illness. A severe infection with C. diff can lead to profuse diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, fever and debilitating illness.

Since C. diff infection is invariably the result of antibiotic treatment that destroys the normal bacteria of the intestines, some scientists and doctors have reasoned that restoring the normal bacteria could allow the body to heal itself. Yet it is not as simple as isolating one or two different kinds of bacteria to use for replacement. It is the complex interaction and interrelationship between many different kinds of bacteria that prevents the overgrowth of C. diff. And where can you find a combination of the right bacteria in just the right proportions? You guessed it … in the gut of someone who does not have a C. diff infection.

Spoiler:

Typically, patients ask a close household member, usually a spouse, to produce a sample of stool, which is tested for disease and infection.
    On the day of the transplant, donors provide the feces, which is blended and filtered. A tube is fed through the patient’s nose into the stomach and several teaspoons of the sample are injected through it.
    “I refused to look at it,” said the patient. “All I felt was a coolness. It didn’t smell.”
    The patient said they felt better immediately and hasn’t suffered a C. diff relapse since the treatment…

Anyone have it on their list of "Top Cures" ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fecal transplant … (yes, it’s just what you think it is)

Sounds lovely
    It was mentioned on Grey's Anatomy the other week too.
    Leechr will grab your tv-ep nzb's for you :)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fecal transplant … (yes, it’s just what you think it is)

Yep heard about this also!

Its not as shit as it sounds!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Faecal transplant … (yes, it’s just what you think it is)

Well if anyone is feeling a bit rough and needs some help , I'm sure I could curl one off to help you on your road to recovery

Thanks
    Karma Level

When I was reading, I thought they were gonna shove it straight up the arse. I can't decide what would be worse tho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've always told my kids to never go sniffin shit up your nose, but that makes it seem a good thing lol.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol. i didn`t look. no kidding,