Close

Thread: Fraud

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fraud

Got had the other day. Had no money in my account at all when i went to use a cash machine, got a mini statement from the hole in the wall and there was a few amounts taken out that i didnt recognise. Went into the bank yesterday morning they said it was for Vodafone topup, 1. I aint on Vodadone 2. i dont topup coz im on contract. Rang TSB fraud people up said their sorting it. What gets me is that someone has used your card to top their phone up but because of privacy laws or watever they wont give the mobile number out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fraud

If it's a pay&go it could belong to anyone. When I used to topup my O2 phone using a card it just asked for postcode digits and certain card info I think. Easy information for someone to get hold of, even easier if they know you.......

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dont think it be anyone i know i dont leave my card lying about and doubt any of my mates would do something like that anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Strange. This is exactly what has just happened to a friend of my sister. Don't know which bank or mobile phone company it is though off hand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Had the same thing myself a couple of years back and it was nearly a grand on topups on Vodafone in Italy. There were also peoples phone bills paid in Italy as well. Got all the money back but was fucking annoying when I was trying to buy stuff and my card was getting refused.

Thanks
    Karma Level

/me Checks bank statement online...

I suppose that it is easy to do. You'll just need someone's credit card bill. But should think you still need the cvs number and expiries. Someone could skim the card or even photograph it and get that data tho. Then they just need the post code...

I thought you needed to register cards before using them tho, how that works I don't know as also on contract mobile.

DJ OD

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They mostly seem to use card details for gambling sites (whether they own them or it launders the money I don't know), petrol or top-ups. I suppose they are the safest to use them for really. Luckily enough I havn't been done yet but I wouldn't be suprised if they get me sometime.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah petrol and top ups are common because they can use pay at pump with a cloned card so no interference from staff as well as topup mobile phones from cashpoints, same again no risk for them

Thanks
    Karma Level

Took me last few hundred quid so got fuck all money and fuck all petrol. Cant think how they would of got my details.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I was in a car park in Reading not so long ago and noticed I could pay by card so popped it in. Thankyou for using xxx car parks was the message on the display, it spat out my ticket, a receipt and my card. I didn't type in my pin and have checked my statement and the transaction went through ok. Just shows how fucking shite the whole credit card system is. It could have been a stolen card or a card I'd just found in the street.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This has happend four times to me now, twice for O2 topups and twice with foreign gambling site. (and another two that were pending we got stopped early) Always got money back but it is a fuck on. Personally I think its just when you order summit like on the phone the person just writes some details down and either sells the info or uses it him/her self.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    I was in a car park in Reading not so long ago and noticed I could pay by card so popped it in. Thankyou for using xxx car parks was the message on the display, it spat out my ticket, a receipt and my card. I didn't type in my pin and have checked my statement and the transaction went through ok. Just shows how fucking shite the whole credit card system is. It could have been a stolen card or a card I'd just found in the street.
    Not only that, imagine if a scammer installed a fake front and reader like they do on the cash points, imagine how many cards go through that machine in a day! Talk about mass harvesting of details. Not sure how it took money without a pin for authentication though...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post

Tescos self scan tills used to be like that - no pin no., just swipe the card.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thought all this chip and pin stuff was supposed to prevent fraud i know of 12 friends its happened too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Not only that, imagine if a scammer installed a fake front and reader like they do on the cash points, imagine how many cards go through that machine in a day! Talk about mass harvesting of details. Not sure how it took money without a pin for authentication though...
    Within the last 7 days, I've seen a shop accepting signatures for card payment, sorry can't remember where it was.

Thanks
    Karma Level

funny enough a few years ago i was trying to get a credit card , for the first time. couldn`t get one and thought it was because i was self employed but thought it was funny because i always paid cash and had no debts.
    check with experian and lo and behold i had quite a few and a american express card maxed out , all in my name . got it sorted but the CC company wouldn`t give me any details at all, just that they knew it wasn`t me and they were on a big trail. got it taken off my credit report so that was good, but i was livid and make sure everything is shreaded now. thing was the date of birth wasn`t right at all,

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am in the middle of trying to sort out a £30 top up that was taken out of my visa card. The best thing is I haven't used my card for a long time. I know it isn't a lot of money but it is the principal of the thing. I have noticed that when we have been to the cinema in Staines they dont take a pin number when you buy your tickets from the machine. That is so dodgy, Come to think of it I think that was where I last used my Visa card........ I wonder ....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My card on our joint account got used last year - funny thing is I have never ever used the card or had it out of my wallet (don't even have a pin for it) - Missus does all the shopping etc. and she's the only one that really uses the joint account - Bank (HSBC) insisted it must have been someone in our family or someone else who had access to the card. Bank werre adamant it was my card and not the missus's because of the different issue numbers

Personally I'm sure the details came from the bank themselves, probably from one of their nice foreign call centres but I'll never be able to prove it - they refunded all the missing money the same day and got me new card withing 48 hours though - only reason we still have accounts with em