Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Fifa 'to allow GB football team'

Fifa 'to allow GB football team'

Blatter has publicly supported the idea of a Great Britain football team

Fifa is set to back plans for a Great Britain football team to play at the 2012 Olympics, despite opposition from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    The issue will be discussed by Fifa in Tokyo and the sport's world governing body is expected to agree to a British team participating at the London Games.
    However, it will not yet sanction its participation beyond 2012.
    Fifa president Sepp Blatter has already expressed his desire to have the hosts represented at the Games.
    And it is thought he would be happy for all the players to be English if the other home nations refused to allow their players to take part.
    The one Fifa figure who might have opposed the move, vice-president Jack Warner from Trinidad and Tobago, now looks unlikely to do so, and insisted: "I remain open on the matter."
    606: DEBATE

Scotland are anti-Team GB because they realise if a team was picked on merit hardly any, if indeed any, Scottish players would feature

Huldrych_Zwingli

The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have openly expressed their concern that a Great Britain football team would threaten their ability to compete in future international tournaments as separate teams.
    Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke has attempted to assure these bodies that this would not be the case but Uefa president Michel Platini has said he understands the nations' fears.
    And an SFA spokesman responded to news of Fifa's likely impending approval of a Team GB by saying: "Our opposition to Team GB remains resolute. "Our concern is that FIFA members and FIFA executives in the future would not have the same view as this one - and, subsequently, our status as an independent member would be threatened." By 2012, it will be 52 years since a British football team has participated in the Olympics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...es/7785935.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Fifa 'to allow GB football team'

This is just the chance the Jocks have been looking for to play alongside English players for years now.

At least this way the jocks will qualify.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Were all doomed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck that. Sepp Blatter is a cunt.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    Fuck that. Sepp Blatter is a cunt.

Yep your right, how could he wish the jocks on us ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The other nations don't want to join forces because they know they won't get in the team

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Yep your right, how could he wish the jocks on us ?
    No Jock would make the team, I'm trying to save their blushes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    No Jock would make the team, I'm trying to save their blushes.
    If they wear their dresses they could still attend as cheer leaders.

Thanks
    Karma Level

There has never been a reason not to enter a GB team, other than the objections of Scotland. FIFA and the OIC have no connection whatsoever, the rules for participation in all events and tournaments overseen by both differ so greatly that there is no chance of FIFA invoking any rule or even introducing one, whereby they could force the football associations involved to merge.
    Blatter has threatened simliar things before, but he has no foundation to do so.
    Fuck 'em-let the Jocks make twats of themselves. by entering their own team. they may well be good at sliding stones along ice, riding bicycles and dancing in skirts over swords laid flat on the floor (VERY daring!) or chucking logs around but they can't kick a fucking ball into a net.
    Apathy? can't be arsed.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Or maybe it's because the other nations want fuck all to do with England.

Maybe it's because when the Scots, Irish or Welsh get beat we accept perhaps we weren't up to scratch rather than blame the pitch, Beckham, Southgate or Pearce and hound that individual so much that it invades his privacy and his family life. I don't recall Chris Iwelumo or his family being harrassed after his easy miss cost us qualification!
    Maybe we don't want burning effigy's hung from every lamp post swearing death to that individual.........just a thought.
    Last edited by Argyll; 17th December 2008 at 03:50 AM.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. People with racist beliefs might hate certain groups of people according to their racial groups.

BTW I don't think any of this is racist thinking...just fucking English thinking

Bless wikipedia

Thanks
    Karma Level

There's going to be a team representing GB at the Olympics, it would be a serious crying shame if we didn't. If the Scots, Welsh and Irish don't want to play I don't care, there will still be a team, and they will get to the QF's and lose to Chile.

I hope we play a proper under 23 side, no stars, put someone like O'Neill in charge and see what happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wijit View Post
    Fuck 'em-let the Jocks make twats of themselves. by entering their own team. they may well be good at sliding stones along ice, riding bicycles and dancing in skirts over swords laid flat on the floor (VERY daring!) or chucking logs around but they can't kick a fucking ball into a net.

Now thats debatable my friend but if they are good at these things is another thing, I mean what other civilised nations partake in such activities ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post

Maybe it's because when the Scots, Irish or Welsh get beat we accept perhaps we weren't up to scratch rather than blame the pitch, Beckham, Southgate or Pearce and hound that individual so much that it invades his privacy and his family life. I don't recall Chris Iwelumo or his family being harrassed after his easy miss cost us qualification!
    Maybe we don't want burning effigy's hung from every lamp post swearing death to that individual.........just a thought.
    But it's only the Scots'Association who are objecting!
    As for accepting that you weren't up to scratch, that's just accepting defeat and that says more about you lot than it does us. On the other hand, you're absolutely right about the hounding, that is typically English and this is a fault that unless we accept we have will only get worse.

Just in case it comes across as such, I don't hate the Scots, though I do dislike with a passion certain ones (Alex "deluded" Salmond for example), but the anti-Englishness of some will only ever damage Scotland, don't forget-we're used to not being liked!
    Apathy? can't be arsed.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seems pointless.....

1) The GB team will not win. It's basically been used as Hype to get more people involved in what is a pointless and very expensive show! In addition, would the GB team live on until the next Olympics.... If we really want to introduce a team into a sport that we think we will win, why not bring in 'Stabbing on the Streets of London', or 'Chavism' ffs!

2) Premiership managers will be reluctant to let 'big name' players go.... How many times have we seen players get injured in International 'Friendlies'.....

What exactly does 'Olympic Champion' mean anyway.... OK we had a good haul in the last one, but ask yourself if the Olympics would be missed........ Really.....

Pick a GB team for the Olympics and ask yourself if it could win. Fucking hell we couldn't even manage one place in the last European Championships between us!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post

of course this is absolute nonsense lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Seems pointless.....

1) The GB team will not win. It's basically been used as Hype to get more people involved in what is a pointless and very expensive show! In addition, would the GB team live on until the next Olympics.... If we really want to introduce a team into a sport that we think we will win, why not bring in 'Stabbing on the Streets of London', or 'Chavism' ffs!
    Yeah, I really don't understand this part. I mean seriously, if Beach fucking Volleyball can be introduced how come no Darts or Snooker, sports we actually stand a decent chance of medalling in?

2) Premiership managers will be reluctant to let 'big name' players go.... How many times have we seen players get injured in International 'Friendlies'.....
    the point is its MEANT to be an under 23 with a couple of overage players involved, so its good exposure for some younger players who may not necessarily get the chance usually because of age

What exactly does 'Olympic Champion' mean anyway.... OK we had a good haul in the last one, but ask yourself if the Olympics would be missed........ Really.....
    Well, it may galvanise sport in this country, and maybe in some "lesser" sports too, like cycling for instance. Who knows, but if it does, it has to be a good thing IMO. We've had all this "its not about winning" shit thrown at us for too many years now. Sport IS about winning, and maybe Beijing and London will see a turn about in attitude towards sport. Cant be a bad thing can it?

Pick a GB team for the Olympics and ask yourself if it could win. Fucking hell we couldn't even manage one place in the last European Championships between us!
    Ouch. Well, if I was to try and pick a starting XI of UK players right now, all 23 or under, I'd probably look at a team like this:

GK: Ross Turnbull (23, England - Middlesborough)
    LB: Gareth Bale (19, Wales - Spurs)
    CB: Jonny Evans (20, Northern Ireland - Manchester United)
    CB: Micah Richards (20, England - Manchester City)
    RB: Chris Gunter (19, Wales - Spurs)
    RM: Theo Walcott (19, England - Arsenal)
    CM: Tom Huddlestone (21, England - Spurs)
    CM: Michael Johnson (20, England - Manchester City)
    LM: Ashley Young (23, England - Aston Villa)
    SS: Wayne Rooney (23, England - Manchester United)
    CF: Fraizer Campbell (21, England - Manchester United)

OK, so its dominated by English players (sorry Scotland, I had planned on including McGeady but he just lost out), but thats more down to my knowledge than anything, and maybe heavy on the United front too, but again thats just my knowledge. I look at that team and I think yeah, there's already some good defensive experience there, and enough talent and skill to create and score goals. An attacking foursome including Ashley Young, Theo Walcott and Wayne Rooney - well, thats good enough for England NOW, so surely would be good enough for an U23 side? Yes, of course a lot of these players will be too old when the time comes around, but there's so many young players coming though that I reckon we could genuinely put out a team that COULD win. Give them the right manager - Martin O'Neill springs to mind - and you have a team that the whole country could get behind and support.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What about Aaron Ramsey?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    What about Aaron Ramsey?
    I ummed and ahhhd about him, just thought the players I picked have more experience at the moment. Of course, in 4 years time I reckon he's an almost definite IF he gets a chance to play at Arsenal and develops how they think he will.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaruseifer View Post
    Not one Liverpool player in there... :@
    OK, you give me a Liverpool player, under 23, British, who would knock ANY of those players out of the squad. I looked at the Liverpool team and couldn't see any, I asked a Liverpool fan and he suggested Stephen Darby at Right Back - but as I said to him, Gunter has more appearances for Spurs and 12 full international caps for Wales, so in my eyes is - AT THIS TIME - the person who would get in the squad.

I did also state that this was based on my personal knowledge, and I've never seen Stephen Darby play, so I couldn't possibly rate him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast