Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question MAC Code Problem

Hi Peeps,

I've decided to change ISP's as I'm paying £19.99 a month for 2.1 - 2.6 meg (DL) and 0.250- 0.270 (UL). The service has been reliable but having searched a number of forums and carried out some research I decided to change my ISP despite having been with them for 6 years. I now have a deal where I can get 7 meg DL and 1 meg UL (BT provided this information) and can save £12.50 a month with an increase of speed. The problem is they tried to get me to stay by offering me a 8 meg line and reducing my monthly charge to £8....I've decided to go and try another ISP but my old ISP have yet to provide my MAC code. Does anyone know how long I should have to wait? I've contacted them again and they promised to send it but I'm still waiting. I've tried to contact OFCOM but they say "Make a formal complaint to your Service Provider"....... I can't not have broadband as I work from home....... Can anyone offer any advice????

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MAC Code Problem

BT's estimation of what your line can sustain is just that, it's an estimate.

If you are only pulling between 2.1 - 2.6 Mbit downstream now on standard ADSL (up to 8Mbit), then nothing is going to change by you moving over to BT's standard ADSL service.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

I contacted simplify broadband and they did a search and said that using another ISP could increase my speed as my exchange has been upgraded?? ADSL2 or some thing....I also contact Be and they said they could provide speed up to 5.5meg on my line.....

Here's hoping, besides that I'm saving some monies. It's a shame that my current ISP didin't offer to reduce my monthly charge until I requested a MAC having been with them for some years.

B

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you request your MAC code in writing like on their website or a letter your service provider has 5 working days to provide the code or they can face a fine from ofcom.

If your on an up to 8mb line at the moment changeing provider will not do much to increase your speed unless your moving to an adsl2 provider like be.
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corbei View Post
    If you request your MAC code in writing like on their website or a letter your service provider has 5 working days to provide the code or they can face a fine from ofcom.

If your on an up to 8mb line at the moment changeing provider will not do much to increase your speed unless your moving to an adsl2 provider like be.
    I telephoned them to request my MAC code as they refuse to issue a the code from an Email request (I read their T & C's) The phone line is also at 10p per min so presume this is why, but they say security reasons. I've tried the OFCOM route as per my first post and they say make an formal compaint to your ISP.....

I've read a few more threads on the net and found that the ISP i'm with has been reported several time for not providing the MAC code and that someone was even without BB for over a month due to the type of TAGS??? on the line??

B

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    Name and shame dude! if you get adls2 from your exchange shop around. read www.ispreview.co.uk or thinkbroadband site and read what other users say, on think broadband site use comparator. also DSLzone is quite good to gain feedback.
    I cannot get adsl2 here but I read BEthere are the best and cheap enough.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would love to name and shame but don't want the board to have any hassle. Cheers for the links etc, I've done a few bits of research and decided to go with 02, it was a close call between O2 and Be but after reading a few reviews and considering costs and free UK telephone support decided to go with O2.....

OMG i've read a few reviews mostly about my ISP on ispreview site.....I wish I hadn't now as my current ISP get a slating about providing MAC codes.....

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 16th November 2008 at 11:08 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    BE and O2 are the same company I believe m8, and I don't think you will have many problems there. I believe its a 12 month contract though! with O2 you have a 30 get out clause though, so if after 30 days u think they suck ass get you money back and leave.

LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

I Requested my MAC Code and they emailed it to me within 4 days

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    From who m8? he hasn't told us who he is with, just who he wants to migrate too.
    cheers
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing not to do is to try to move with out a MAC as youe new provided can take over the line with out buit it takes at least 10 days to get the tag removed then 5 to 7 days for them to put boardband on it.

It will be best to ring them to request it and ask them to email you confirming you have requested it so they have no comeback saying you never requested it. If you don't have it within days ring up and complain stating ofcom states they need to be provided within 5 days.

Also try not to let them put you off as it only takes a minute or 2 for it to obtained from the BT broadband system.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Corbei View Post
    One thing not to do is to try to move with out a MAC as youe new provided can take over the line with out buit it takes at least 10 days to get the tag removed then 5 to 7 days for them to put boardband on it.

It will be best to ring them to request it and ask them to email you confirming you have requested it so they have no comeback saying you never requested it. If you don't have it within days ring up and complain stating ofcom states they need to be provided within 5 days.

Also try not to let them put you off as it only takes a minute or 2 for it to obtained from the BT broadband system.

I was told that they would email it and post it to me, but as yet nothing has arrived. I''ll call them tomorrow morning again.......

I'll ask O2 to hold off until I get my MAC code.

Cheers

B

Thanks
    Karma Level

i don't see any reason why they can not give it to you over the phone if its been more than days aske to speak to a manager and no doubt for an easy life they won't argue and give it to you if tyou mention ofcom

Thanks
    Karma Level

Peeps,

Just thought I would let you know that my MAC key arrived today after spending a fortune on the phone @ 10p per minute waiting on hold and finding out that due to a high volume of calls they cannot take my calls and sending several emails.

The bad news is that the MAC key issued is not valid with BT or 02. I have now logged a complaint via OFCOM who have no teeth, and suspect that nothing will come of it and that if I wanted to I can log a complaint with CISAS which could take up to 12 weeks to look into the matter. I have also found that my current ISP has registered with OFCOM agreeing to their policies, whilst stitching up their existing customers (me)

I have also learnt that I cannot cancel my subscription as this will mean that tags will be left on the line and O2 or others will be unable to connect to it.

The whole process of switching ISP's should be simple but is unfair and given the fact that there is very little I can do believe the process should be reviewed hence a letter to my MP now.

If you are looking at changing your ISP, avoid at all costs " P1PEX "......

The battle continues.

B
    Last edited by bomberman; 18th November 2008 at 07:50 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi m8
    sorry to hear, It could be that they have already unbundled your line and its an LLU line, if this is the case then you have a few problems ahead.
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lou_smorals View Post
    Hi m8
    sorry to hear, It could be that they have already unbundled your line and its an LLU line, if this is the case then you have a few problems ahead.
    LS
    Hi L S

I've searched my local exchange and they have LLU Services, what does this mean??? what further problems can I have?

Cheers

B

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi M8
    If your line has been unbundled to a tiscali or similar line then it becomes much more dificult to migrate as you no longer have a BT line, surely these people advised you of this?
    You really need to read the websites I posted and see what u can do. I believe that BT need a payment of £125 to migrate you back to them..
    LS

P.S> check if your line is deffo LLU - if so I am sorry to say If your chosen ISP cannot accept LLU migration, then you will have to go through a full cease and reprovide of adsl which may involve several weeks of down time.

pps this may help => http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?...43042324e13ab9
    Last edited by Lou_smorals; 18th November 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The important thing is wether your phone line is on BT equpment or not if it is having a LLU broadband should not matter in the migration process.

From what i remember pipex don't talk over your phone line completely (watch talk talk for this they have an small clause in contracts to allow them to do this)

If you can find your exchange via the link below you should be ok

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi LS and C

Thanks for the info. It states on my local Exchange that Pipex are not LLU enabled but Tiscali are. Hope i'm on a normal BT line after reading a few posts....

Latest email comments from them "Unfortunately, our records show that there appears to be a problem in issuing this code. We will fix this problem as soon as possible, and will re-send it to you in the next few days by e-mail." and "On the other hand, if you wish to request for a new MAC, please call our dedicated Cancellation Team" and finally "We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 48 hours."

B

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I thought Tiscali owned Pipex now??? if they do your line is almost certainly LLU and if it is then O2 (as far as I know ) do not accept tiscali llu lines. If this is the case you can either pay to have your line back to BT or you can find a provider that does accept tiscali llu, a list of such companied is on one of the links I sent you in my last post and I believe they need a premium price for migration.
    However, first things first you need to establish whether you lin IS llu as if it isnt then none of this applies.
    LS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast