I called the Sony store at Heathrow T5 about 2 weeks ago to reserve an item for collection on the 29th January. The bloke on the phone was extrememly helpful and suggested that I call a week before I intend to travel and he would put one under the counter for me, but as things stood they had plenty in stock so it shouldn't be a problem .

So call again today and get some woman who first of all makes me give her my name, address and telephone number. After I explain what I want, she tells me its company policy not to reserve items or take pre-orders. I mention that contradicts what I was told earlier and she moronically repeats company policy to me and then asks for the name and time of the person I spoke to?

Sensing that I'm getting nowhere, I ask if she can tell me how many they have in stock so I know whether to look elsewhere. I'm sorry sir, but I don't have access to that information, the only way to find out is to come into the store. "Now Listen you fucking tart, either I buy one from a shop in London or I get it just before I leave the country. Obviously I would rather buy it Duty Free and save 15%".

I hate to be sexist, but the same call to the same store. One answered by a matey sounding bloke which took all of one minute and ended in me being extremely satisfied. The other answerd by a woman which took 5 minutes of arguing and bickering and ended in me slamming down the phone in disgust. It seems to me that women are absolutely and thoroughly incapable of excercising discretion.