Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Festive hope for gas blast homes

Festive hope for gas blast homes

Supplies could now be restored before Christmas Day
    Engineers have restored supplies to almost half of the 18,000 Lancashire homes left without gas following an explosion.
    Supplies were disrupted after a gas main ruptured on Monday, setting light to an overhead power cable at Holme Lane, in Rawtenstall.
    Initially National Grid said it was unlikely services would be fully restored before 25 December.
    However, supplies have since been restored to 9,000 homes.
    National Grid today pledged that residents who were at home to answer the door to their engineers would be reconnected by Wednesday night.
    Thirty nursing homes were among the properties where gas supplies have been reconnected.

The ruptured gas main set light to an overhead power cable

Engineers need to gain access to each affected property, so those vacant over the festive season will be left without gas until the householders return.
    Temporary repairs have been made to the power line damaged in the explosion.
    About 300 engineers worked "around-the-clock" to restore services, a spokesman said.
    Director of operations Jon Butterworth said "This is a mammoth task but local people have been fantastic.
    "I want to apologise for the inconvenience but also to thank people for their patience while we have been fixing the problem, and also for letting us into their homes during the night to get their gas supplies on for Christmas.

I can have a bath tonight, that's what I've missed most
    Pat Holden, resident in Rawtenstall
    The blast on Monday morning left 18,000 homes without gas and 17,000 without electricity in the Bacup, Waterfoot, Rawtenstall, Newchurch and Crawshawbooth areas.
    Pat Holden, 63, who lives on Lomas Lane, Rawtenstall, had her gas switched back on earlier.
    She said: "The first night was a bit miserable because it was really cold.
    "It was a godsend when the electric came back on because that meant I've got a microwave, toaster and kettle and I've been boiling hot water to keep clean.
    "My ex-husband brought me a heater and it was warm last night. I can have a bath tonight, that's what I've missed most.
    "It's the Dunkirk spirit, you just get on with it."
    Work to repair the damaged gas pipe was completed on Tuesday morning, but engineers had to re-pressurise and test the system, as well as checking each individual property.
    They advised residents without gas to check all appliances were switched off.
    National Grid said on-call engineers would be visiting as many homes as possible on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to ensure gas is restored.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/7798623.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Festive hope for gas blast homes

lets hope it all back on for them xmas day