Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help need some help here please

ok, the wife has got me one of them acer aspire one little notebook things for xmas and i cant wait to get me hands on it..

a few questions..

everything i want to get for it says comp for 98/xp/vista but it has linux on it i think (she wont let me near it no matter how much i plead)..

so does this linux thingymebobby do what xp will or can i/should i put xp on it instead ??..

i want an external cdrom to use at work and i have seen a neat little bluetooth dongle the goes in the usb port but it sits flush its that small but they both say nowt about linux..

its the one with a 120 gb hard drive and 1 gig of ram an its blue ..

thanx a lot and any help would be great..

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: need some help here please

Quote Originally Posted by kry0genik View Post
    Not jealous much...

I've been periodically flashing this netbook up on the lappy trying to get a nod from the missus!

Have a play with the Linpus that's on it - you might like it.
    I've loved arsing about with all flavours of Linux I've tried. It'll run very quickly with Linpus and 1GB of ram, but there's nothing stopping you putting XP on it (not sure if you can dual boot but would presume so).
    The bluetooth dongle will work with the Linpus OS - you might need to connect to the Linux database thingummy for drivers though.

Can you show me the USB dongle? I will be getting one of these netbooks eventually - by hook or by crook.

m8 take the missis into tesco there on the shelf.....point at it and drool it worked for me..

the usb thingy is here..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=009

theres also some on for a fiver but look a little tacky..

got me eye on one of these as well just incase i find i can run some kind of satnav prgm on it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=024

thanx for the reply and help...

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive tried 2 differnet bt dongles that are tiny and this one works WAY better than the other one and is much better made
    Nano Bluetooth EDR Dongle: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

this is the 1st one i got and it caught on everything and i lost it in the end (although i prefer to think of it as stolen lol)
    Amazon.co.uk: BlueNext Super Mini Bluetooth USB Adapter Dongle: Electronics & Photo

ive been playing with the idea of that one that your getting for christmas its just the battery only lasting 3hrs is a bit of a worry, im used to my macbook pro only lasting 3hrs (i carry 2 batterys to get a days use out of it) and would have thought something with less power would last longer, maybe a new extended battery would be a good idea

Thanks
    Karma Level

oh i forgot personally id stick with the linux version thats on it cos then your only a sudo-apt get away from cracking the neighbours wifi (check the securitys section )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    oh i forgot personally id stick with the linux version thats on it cos then your only a sudo-apt get away from cracking the neighbours wifi
    Only if they are using WEP, and you can get the same software for Windows anyway.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    Only if they are using WEP, and you can get the same software for Windows anyway.
    didnt know there was one out for windows to do the same thing, normally i use backtrack3 for any reasearch such as this

i thought you can crack wpa-psk and wpa2 using rainbow tables although they are a huge download, i got some a while ago and that was a 33gb download of just the rainbow tables (not backtack as well) just not found time to have a play with it yet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
    The same software is available for Windows but Windows wireless drivers don't support packet injection. When cracking wi-fi you need to collect packets of encrypted data, around 50,000 of them to be sure of cracking it. With packet injection you can send a packet to the router which makes it thinks a data packet failed and re-sends it. This way you can get the router to generate the data you need to capture to crack it. Without this you're reliant on capturing data packets sent to a legitimate client. This could take weeks.

Linux is the only way to go if you want to crack it in under half an hour...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post
    didnt know there was one out for windows to do the same thing, normally i use backtrack3 for any reasearch such as this

i thought you can crack wpa-psk and wpa2 using rainbow tables although they are a huge download, i got some a while ago and that was a 33gb download of just the rainbow tables (not backtack as well) just not found time to have a play with it yet
    I was looking at trying to crack a sky router's password by creating a brute force dictionary. Their standard passwords are 8 characters, capital letters and numbers only... So I thought I'd be able to create a text file with every possible combination in it...

So a total of 46 characters per digit, 8 digits...

46x46x46x46x46x46x46x46
    = 20,047,612,231,936 combinations

Each digit is 1byte in a text file and a carriage return is 2 bytes so at 10 per line it would make my file:

200,476,122,319,360 bytes

=182.331971081439 TeraBytes...

At this point I thought it was time to give up lol

I'm gonna have a google of rainbow tables though... sounds like it could be interesting...

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive had a bit of success with them but ive not had a really good go with them, so let me know how you go fella and if i find any tips that work for me i'll send you a pm

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had a look at the rainbow tables and dug up this:

http://www.renderlab.net/projects/WPA-tables/

Reading into it I don't think it's gonna work. WPA uses the network name (SSID) as part of the encryption key. Most new router SSIDs will be something like SKY-83CYJ8N. Because of this you will have to generate the rainbow table for each router that you want to crack. Some guy hashed 1million passwords (for a 1000 SSIDs) and it took 14x3ghz PCs a month to generate, so 1 SSID will take about half a day on one PC.

Thing is because I want to generate a table with 20,047,612 million passwords it's gonna take around 10 million days, 27.5 thousand years...

Only way you're gonna get into a WPA encrypted network is if they've changed the SSID to something simple (or default) AND changed the password to something simple... Which most home users are probably not gonna do all that often...

Thanks
    Karma Level

i think that was where i got the 33gb rainbow tables from, like i said ive not had chance to play with them yet, and if its going to take that long lol i dont think im gonna bother lol especially when i only want to practice on my own old router lol

i remember reading a while ago about how long it would take to crack the password which is why i was suprised it could be done at all,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just noticed Pissy World and Currys have these blue 1GB ram/120GB HDD Acer's with Linpus on for £219 now.
    Just off to get one ..

:edit: Actually, they're the 512mb version for that price.
    So I went to Comet where the 1GB one was £239 and told them PC World were doing them for £219 and they priced matched. lmao.

you said you would get one didnt you......

i been looking on youtube and they have some good vids and tutorials on there...gaming, xp/vista installs, upgrading and taking apart...

worth a look m8..

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

whats the keyboard like? is it a bit small?

Thanks
    Karma Level

the battery and small key board are the only things putting me off getting one,

id seriously consider dropping xp and not bothering if i were you, youve got a nice fast machine thats doing what you need, is there anything it cant do that windows can? (other than fill up with spyware/adware and virus's lol)

Thanks
    Karma Level

after a couple of weeks of use has the battery life changed much? and did you get the 3 cell 2200mah or the 6 cell 6600mah battery?

im thinking about getting one instead of a telly/dvd play for the car with the big hdd that its got it seems tempting, i had a go with one and the keyboard seemed very small but its not like im going to be writing/much code on it

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive just been having a look around and found the 6 cell 6600mah battery pack for £49.99 inc postage so i think im going to take the plunge

Thanks
    Karma Level

nice one m8 i shall be having a read at that before i pick one up (at the mo its a toss up between the samsung (i wanna say nc10 is the model but im not 100%) with the 7 and a half hour battery life (theres only 80quid between them and if i buy another battery for the acer theres even less)

edit - the samsung has windows xp installed so if they do a linux version thats probably the only one other than the acer that id have

Thanks
    Karma Level

for the car eh casio....

i just got one of these m8....looks cool .....cant bloody try it yet though as i aint allowed the acer till xmas..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...809c80ffca07ec

i also got some satnav software for it so i can use it as a big tomtom lol....

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

These are bloody light mate, but that mount best be a super, super sucker and of decent build!!

the sucker goes on the windscreen and the base of the mount sits on the dash held with velcro so its better than the piccy tells m8...

the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

i just dont trust them ciggy lighter adapters as they seem so cheap and nasty with not a lot of care put into them....get an inverter for your car and use the original psu m8.....

the same thing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Social Networking Bookmarks