Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Comedians and repetition of Jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    Or when they just rip off another comedian's jokes... Dennis Leary's "No cure for cancer" - 75% was ripped directly from Bill Hicks!
    Really? I'll have to get some Bill Hicks stuff then. I really liked No Cure For Cancer.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BBK View Post
    I think you're all being a bit harsh. We don't expect musicians to have a completely new set each time they perform.
    We don't expect musicians to come up with new songs for each tour/show but you can hear a good song several dozen times before you get start to tire of it, where as a joke is never funnier than its first time around.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As has been mentioned, the best for this is Jimmy Carr. When he tours, he does a different set to whatever is out on his latest DVD.

I think Frankie Boyle is great, but I watched his DVD and I don't think there was a single joke that i hadn't heard him do before, recently

Best place for comedy is to get yourself to somewhere like a comedy store. A couple of hours and usually 3 or 4 comedians, plus the compere. You'll see some stuff that would never make tv or dvd, plus loads of great people that you might have never seen (eg. Paul Zerdin. He's a ventriloquist ffs, and i'd never had seen him out of choice, but check out some of his stuff on YouTube) Human Dummy

(note: if you live near london, don't waste time with Jongleurs, get yourself straight to The Comedy Store, Leicester Square - cried with laughter evey time i've been there, and go to the late night showing)
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get the same thing at the comedy clubs as well though. Went to Jongleurs twice a year apart (m8's birthday) and one of the 3 comedians was there both times and doing the same routine. Worst thing is some of his jokes weren't even fresh the first time

Thanks
    Karma Level

Went to see Frankie Boyle this year and was very disappointed, as has been said just about everything Id heard him say before. The plus point for his show however was his warm up act, forgot his name but I thought he was actually funnier than Frankie. Been to see Jimmy Carr twice aswell (different tours), the second time we saw him he did say a joke that he said the previous tour to which a heckler told him soon after. His reply was something like 'Its ok for you to wear the same suit to work so why cant I use the same material to work'. Id have replied 'yeah but I only paid for my suit once'.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I thought the Frankie Boyle DVD was utter mince. I hardly laughed at all throughout the show. The only guy I know who has personally given totally different shows over a full tour is Billy Connolly. I think the guy's a genius but I must admit over the last few years I've sort of gone off him, but still an incredibly funny guy.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    We don't expect musicians to come up with new songs for each tour/show but you can hear a good song several dozen times before you get start to tire of it, where as a joke is never funnier than its first time around.
    Sorry to digress but imo one of the traits of a good song is that it doesn't get old.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive seen Billy Connerly a couple of times and he always seems to have new jokes.
    'Sausages! Hot sausages! Inna bun! Meat pies! Get them while they're hot!'
    ... Hole food! Hole food! Rat! Rat! Rat-onna-stick! Rat-in-a-bun! Get them while they're dead!'

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dibbler View Post
    Ive seen Billy Connerly a couple of times and he always seems to have new jokes.
    He doesn't really tell jokes per se just observations about life
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12