Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Comedians and repetition of Jokes

Call me naive, but does anyone else feel disappointed when you sit down to watch a comedian only to realise that you've heard all the jokes before. In this age of YouTube its painfully obvious that many comedians do the exact same routine (verbatim) from beginning to end. I watched the Brendan Burns DVD which was pretty hilarious, and then straight after a BBC 3 comedy special with him and realised that his entire routine, including his seemingly random shrieks at the audience were identical to the DVD. Even the late, great Bill Hicks was guilty of recycling old material but never an entire show.

Perhaps there is some truth to the observation that many comedians are not so funny in real life.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Comedians and repetition of Jokes

I too was surprised at how much stuff they regurgitate. If you've seen their latest live show then it's pointless watching them on any panel show, chat show or comedy show such as Live at the Apollo as you'll have heard all the shit before.

I'm not even sure how often they freshen their shows up, is it just once a year? How long does it take them to come up with 60-90 minutes of material? I suppose that's why SNL in the states is usually shite, 7 days just isn't long enough to come up with enough decent material.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Frankie Boyles new Live DVD is just all his best moments from Mock the Week put together in one show.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Peter kay has for the last 2 years brought out utter shite, first we had stand up UK which was all of his "best" routines with some sad twats from the estates inbetween saying how much they liked them. utter shite number 1. Then this year he brought out "special K" which was basically loads of clips from his telly appearances over the years. utter shite number 2.
    this latest dvd would have been better as extras because youve seen most of it before.

Im thinking of setting up a website to campaign peter kay bring out some better shit instead of ripping people off each year. do yourself a favour and head to amazon and just look at his feedback for his last 2 dvd's
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post
    Frankie Boyles new Live DVD is just all his best moments from Mock the Week put together in one show.
    I too noticed that, how many times is he going to compare himself to "that wee bear from bo selecta" or the twin Proclaimers?
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Lee evans does this. same shit over and over.

Jimmy Carr ive noticed changes his stuff - his DVDS are great. Saw him live couple of weeks back and he was quality.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dalboy View Post
    Jimmy Carr ive noticed changes his stuff - his DVDS are great. Saw him live couple of weeks back and he was quality.
    I saw Jimmy Carr interviewed and he says he uses the same material for 1 tour (Apart from some heckler-bashing) and writes his next tour material too. He then has a break of a couple of weeks and starts all over again.
    Last edited by coin-op; 29th December 2008 at 01:33 PM.
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats understandable. Dont buy Lee Evans DVD's as they are all the same!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive saw Jimmy Carr 3 times and it was different everytime, you do hear the same anectdotes though from him when he appears on chat shows though, still funny as hell though.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pissed me off to realise that they do exactly the same routine including all parts which seem to be mistakes. I saw Ricky Gervais on the fame tour, hilarious until I got the DVD and saw every last detail was copied. And no the DVD was not recorded at the gig I saw

Thanks
    Karma Level

Or when they just rip off another comedian's jokes... Dennis Leary's "No cure for cancer" - 75% was ripped directly from Bill Hicks!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont like it when they tell jokes that have been around for ages, posted on the net etc etc and then try to blag them as "i was in bed thinking last night and had this brilliant idea for a joke...".

ala Russel Howard and the "Phillip do i look like a stamp" queen joke.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you want a comedian who (almost) NEVER repeats himself then I recommend you check out ROSS NOBLE. Geordie with long hair is IMHO the funniest man on the planet. Every show is unique because he doens't really tell jokes as such. He just rambles and picks up on wacky observations. Check out you tube, particularly the faces in muffin sketch.

Have all the DVD's and all are completely different and going seeing him live in May...cannot wait!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post
    I dont like it when they tell jokes that have been around for ages, posted on the net etc etc and then try to blag them as "i was in bed thinking last night and had this brilliant idea for a joke...".

ala Russel Howard and the "Phillip do i look like a stamp" queen joke.

I was gonna say the same thing, it's cringing when a comedian tells a joke that's been knocking about for ages and they think they can get away with making out that they came up with it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Pissed me off to realise that they do exactly the same routine including all parts which seem to be mistakes. I saw Ricky Gervais on the fame tour, hilarious until I got the DVD and saw every last detail was copied. And no the DVD was not recorded at the gig I saw
    To be fair m8 you've gotta expect if you buy a DVD from a particular tour a la "Fame" that its gonna be exactly what you've seen!

The "mistakes" gag is as old as the hills....I can remember seeing Bottom live and every out-take was scripted!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Stand up comedy has changed since Ah were a lahd...rather than know tonnes of jokes and tell different ones every set, comedians seem to prepare a show like an actor for a play: the play never changes nor do the lines and you use it til the end of the run....so you always get the same old guff...I was mighty pissed off with Live at the Apollo the other week with Dara O Briain and Frankie Boyle cos, as I'd watched both their 'new' DVD's beforehand, LATA was the same crappy material...

Do they think ppl are stupid ffs?
    IT people slash forward.

Also, lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by brumbino View Post
    Do they think ppl are stupid ffs?
    It's not just comedians mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw Ricky Gervais do Fame, and the question that begs to be asked is... if you saw it live, why buy the dvd? It was his worst show to date imo. Saw Chris Rock in manchester last year too, he wasn't good either. Shame, as his dvds are usually great.

Jimmy Carr is quality, saw him 2 years back and recently watched his new dvd and there was hardly any recycled stuff in it at all.

Best comedian i've seen live would have to be Frank Skinner, about 1 year back, slow starter but had me in pain and tears by the end. His recent live dvd was good too.

Frankie Boyle is funny as fuck, but i was disappointed that i'd heard a lot of it on Live at the Apollo only a week prior to getting it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think you're all being a bit harsh. A good comedian puts on 90 mins+ show, and often its fucking funny, depending on your tastes (Lee Evans has me pissing myself every time). For them to change the format every time would be next to impossible. We don't expect musicians to have a completely new set each time they perform. Admittedly repeating the same show on a different tour would be a little hard to swallow.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

no one would ever beat manning in a comic show down !! it would be too difficult, not even that hicks character!!
    hes all rehearsed routine like that george caplin fuck!! correct in many ways but they let it get to their head too much!!
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast