Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Soul of Football

Guys...

This afternoon, something made me sit down and think. How the F**k can £32m be paid for one footballer? Surely now, we have entered a new age of madness.

I was drawn to do this graphic.

I know, I know, I need to get out more ;-))

Happy new year y'awl.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Soul of Football

How much money will robinho generate in shirt sales and other tat in the club shop and keep employment for people??
    how much will the starving kid generate.
    Every time beckham moves clubs he sells tens of millions worth of shirts with his name on..
    Makes sense to me...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by t00lbox View Post
    How much money will robinho generate in shirt sales and other tat in the club shop and keep employment for people??
    how much will the starving kid generate.
    Every time beckham moves clubs he sells tens of millions worth of shirts with his name on..
    Makes sense to me...
    FFS the point is not about generating money it's about the world in which we live. Probably about 20p a day would save that starving child. I don't think you get the point of that advert mate.
    Last edited by Argyll; 31st December 2008 at 12:03 PM.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i wonder how much clubs give to charities
    and most importantly

HOW MUCH MONEY GETS TO THE PEOPLE WHO NEED IT !!!

admin/corruption would swallow up loads of it

Thanks
    Karma Level

1 days wages will really break the bank there "I Think Not"
    Arsenal players donate wages to charity

17/12/08

Charity fundraising can be a tough challenge for even the most high profile of organisations but support and backing always helps any cause.

That was definitely the case for the Teenage Cancer Trust, the chosen charity of Arsenal.

Luckily for the trust, Arsenal's players, staff and directors all joined forces to and donated a day's wages to the charity.

Arsenal Captain, Cesc Fabregas, who is also donating his wages said: 'I visited the Teenage Cancer Trust unit back in August so I know what this means to the charity and the teenagers it helps. I encourage all supporters to follow our lead and give what they can.'

The gunners players have also appeared in a short promotional film with children who have cancer. The film is entitled 'Do What I Say' and aims to show others how they can support the charity.

Last month Arsenal's Theo Walcott visited a Teenage Cancer Trust unit at University College Hospital and got the chance to meet some of the patients there.
    just 1 CEO's wages some earn even more
    This is one of the commonest questions in the charity world. And I don't know the answer.

Although it’s easy to mock charities like the Royal Opera House, which last year paid its top-earner over £500k, there is another side to the story: charities need to attract talent. That needs to be paid for. And however altruistic charity workers are, they’re not saints.

Yet at the same time, the fact that the CEO of Cancer Research UK earns over £200k a year rankles with me. Yes, I know he’s an extremely qualified man with the potential to earn many times that in the private sector. And I know that he manages a charity which spent over half a billion pounds last year. And I know that it’s better to have a well-run charity with a highly paid Chief Executive than a poorly run one with a pauper in charge.

But I still don't like it. £200,000 is simply a lot of money, and the fact that CR-UK’s boss takes home that amount makes me wonder why he thinks he needs it. Because, of course, he doesn’t ‘need’ anything like that amount. Why doesn’t he give some of his salary up, and spent the money on medical research?

On the other hand, however, I can hear CR-UK’s defenders decrying that argument as nonsense. Surely, they’d counter, I wouldn’t put a cap on charity bosses’ earnings? And who would decide when a salary was ‘too much’?

These are good questions. I don't think charity wages could, or even should, be regulated. Likewise, I have no idea when a wage would count as ‘too much’.
    So should I just stop worrying and assess what good work the charity does, and judge it by that criterion alone? Do I even have a right to be morally outraged at such large pay-packets? Even I get paid more than the vast majority of people in the world, after all.

I’m in a moral quandary. Can anyone help me get out of it?
    I'm sure that charity is TAX deductible

Guy Fawkes come back, your country needs you!!