Close

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant this is what sharia law ends up doing to a country

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7804613.stm

Gambia is now a muslim majority country and this couple have been sentenced to 12 months hard labour simply for critising the ruling party. this is what happens when the islamists take over the courts. free speech, rational sentencing are thrown out of the window.

Couple jailed for Gambia sedition

Mr and Mrs Fulton were sentenced to one year with hard labour

A Scottish missionary and his wife, who pleaded guilty to sedition charges in Gambia, have been sentenced to one year in prison with hard labour.
    David and Fiona Fulton were arrested last month after sending e-mails to groups and individuals which criticised the country's government.
    The couple changed their original not guilty plea last week.
    Mr Fulton, 60, is from Troon in Ayrshire. His 46-year-old wife is from Torquay in Devon.
    Last week the couple pleaded guilty to charges of sedition against the government of President Yahya Jammeh.
    Hard labour
    They issued a public apology but their remorse did not mollify the judge.
    The Fultons admitted publishing e-mails with seditious comments with intent to bring hatred or contempt against the president or the government.
    Presiding magistrate Idrissa Mbai said: "I found the offences of the accused party to be very shocking and they have shown no respect for the country, the government and the president of the republic. I will send a clear message to the offenders.
    "I therefore sentence you to a fine of 250,000 dalasis (about £6,250) and mandatory jail time of one year with hard labour."
    If the couple do not pay the fine they face an additional six months in prison.
    'Seeking clarity'
    They can lodge an appeal within 20 days, but it was not clear if they would do so.
    The tiny west African country inside Senegal, has been criticised in recent years for its human rights record.
    Mr Jammeh, an outspoken military officer and former wrestler, has ruled the former British colony since seizing power in a bloodless coup in 1994.
    A spokesman for the Foreign Office said consular staff had been providing assistance to the Fultons.
    He said the Foreign Office was "seeking clarity" over what hard labour meant "in this context". He added that it was a decision for the Fultons with their legal representative as to whether they appealed against the judgement. The spokesman said that the couple's two-year-old daughter was being cared for by a family friend in the family home.
    Last edited by Detector; 30th December 2008 at 06:51 PM.
    A wise man once said " "

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: this is what shia law ends up doing to a country

I just fixed the other thread you started in this section, if you don't fix this post and copy/paste the article into it I'll delete it as per section rules.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...st/7804613.stm

Gambia is now a muslim majority country and this couple have been sentenced to 12 months hard labour simply for critising the ruling party. this is what happens when the islamists take over the courts. free speech, rational sentencing are thrown out of the window.
    Robert Mugabe would have done a lot worse, as would most tinpot dictators... religion is not an issue here.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

what is shia law?

Thanks
    Karma Level

se⋅di⋅tion/sɪˈdɪʃən/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [si-dish-uhn] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1.incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government.

That is what they are being charged with which is a very serious thing that could lead to riots and the deaths of many people.

I doubt very much it has anything to do religion.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry i watched a sky news report and they were doing a decent section on this story, they were on about how gambia is now a majority muslim/islamic state and that the courts are also run under this rule.

i agree that robert mugabe is exactly the same but the fact that someone can get 12 months hard labour just for sending a few emails out critising the ruling party shows how ridiculous a justice system is in a majority islamic state.

does anyone think that if it was still under british rule (which it was until 1994) that they would have got the same treatment for the emails???
    Last edited by Detector; 30th December 2008 at 07:03 PM.
    A wise man once said " "

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    what is shia law?

Oops thank you for pointing that out to me, it was meant to say Sharia Law. i think its topical because we had the archbishop of cantebury saying that sharia law is unavoidable in the uk. my point being this is what to expect. punishments that far outweigh the crimes.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

like chopping your hands off for stealing?

or not making money from lending money? e.g interest? are you not surprised that sharia compliant banks have been little affected by the credit crunch? and that many more banks are looking to this way of banking?

Inactive
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yes thats right you hit it on the nail, same as chopping your hands off for stealing. maybe in the middle ages this was acceptible but in todays world many civilisations have moved on and we dont do that anymore.

just because they give you a flower and a welcome pack after chopping your hands off dont mean its ok.
    A wise man once said " "

Thanks
    Karma Level

here some of the fantastic laws of the u.k

Free after 23 years in jail for curtain fire

A man who has spent 23 years in prison for setting fire to a pair of curtains in an empty village church was freed yesterday.
    David Blagdon was 27 when he carried out the arson attack at St Laurence's church in South Hinksey, Oxfordshire, in 1978. Because he was given a discretionary life sentence, under which an inmate can be kept in prison for as long as they are considered a risk to the public, he has served a longer jail term than most murderers.
    The 51-year-old was released yesterday morning from HMP Wayland, near Thetford in Norfolk. His freedom had been delayed for some years by the Parole Board because his behaviour in jail had been "difficult", a prisons source said.
    Mr Blagdon committed the offence on the day of his foster mother's funeral and pleaded guilty to arson at Oxford Crown Court. The blaze caused £1,270 of damage. He has since said it was a "cry for help" and that he was at breaking point. The court was told he had a disturbed childhood and had appeared in court on several occasions accused of burglary, assault, theft and setting fire to rubbish bins.
    The judge, Christopher Young, gave him the discretionary life sentence, but wrote to Merlyn Rees, who was Home Secretary, to say that, "Blagdon should not be in prison at all, but in a secure place where he could be offered and given treatment".
    There have been at least two confidential medical reports since 1992 that concluded he posed no threat to society. He absconded from jail twice in the past six years in attempts to highlight his case.
    He said in a newspaper interview: "I have lost nearly half my life. Sometimes I feel like giving up hope of ever getting out of here. Just to wake up in my own room with a view and be free to walk out of the house and maybe get on a bus. Most people take that for granted, but for me, it is a dream that has still to come true."
    A Home Office spokesman said: "In directing Mr Blagdon's release the Parole Board stated that they were satisfied that it was no longer necessary for the protection of the public that he remain confined."

please don't mention sharia law and says its any worse than laws in place all over the world, there is flaws everywhere !!!!!

few good things with sharia is murderers and paedo's get wot comes to them and it aint 3 meals and plenty of exercise and allowed to commit more crimes when they get out !!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...re-640784.html
    Last edited by Bald Bouncer; 30th December 2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: correction

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    like chopping your hands off for stealing?

or not making money from lending money? e.g interest? are you not surprised that sharia compliant banks have been little affected by the credit crunch? and that many more banks are looking to this way of banking?
    Nothing to do with them being owned by oil rich nations then ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rudey you need to come back and add a link to your post otherwise it will be deleted.

I can now see why you didn't post the link

Free after 23 years in jail for curtain fire
    By Jason Bennetto Crime Correspondent
    Saturday, 24 August 2002
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...re-640784.html

Come on mate surely you don't need to go dredging up something from 2002 to try to make a point.

There must surely be countless of present day or recent such articles to give weight to your argument ?
    Last edited by 4me2; 30th December 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Detector View Post

does anyone think that if it was still under british rule (which it was until 1994) that they would have got the same treatment for the emails???

That is just not true.

On 18 February 1965, The Gambia was granted independence from the United Kingdom and joined The Commonwealth. Banjul is its capital, but the largest conurbation is Serekunda.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambia

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4169557.stm

the amount of people who have tried coups in africa is quite a lot so you can see why they are a lil paranoid with foriegners in their countries
    mark thatcher is a just a drop in the ocean

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3643250.stm
    Last edited by rudey; 30th December 2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: add

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rudey View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4169557.stm

the amount of people who have tried coups in africa is quite a lot so you can see why they are a lil paranoid with foriegners in their countries
    mark thatcher is a just a drop in the ocean

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3643250.stm
    The first link fine but surely the second link doesn't really tempt a second look. In the current climate as soon as anyone sees Zimbabwe in the story they just think of the thug Mugabe and aren't interested in reading further.

There are so many current cases of things you can use to support arguments but chose to dig up old stories , why ? You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about anything non muslim or white skinned, why ?