Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Want a DSLR, what should I get?

I've decided to get a DSLR for my 30th Birthday in a couple of months but i've no idea what I should get. I'd probably want a Canon as thats what most people on here seem to use. The Mrs is going to put the first £200 in and i'll put another £200 in (could stretch to £300 but rather wouldn't).

So what is the absolute minimum that I should be looking at getting? What lens comes with the camera and whats it good for? I've seen so many posts about new lens for this and that i wouldn't have a clue where to start! I'll mainly be taking scenic shots rather than portraits.

I'm assuming i'll be needing a tripod as well. Do i need spare batteries, what memory cards should I get etc???

So what's out there for me thats within my budget? I'm not interested in 2nd hand equipment as I prefer to buy things new. I don't want to rush into it and want to make sure I get the right gear for me

Cheers in advance peeps

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Want a DSLR, what should I get?

I'm jumping onto this as also looking to do exactly this (sorry Livesey :-P)

I fear the budget might not be enough for new

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've seen this on the jessops website but its just too pricey. I'm sure my mate at work bought one for £300 but not sure what it came with. 450D with a lens but i'd want a Tripod, spare bat and memory card for £500 as its the very top of my budget!

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...3523/Show.html

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

£500 not gonna go far unless u opt for the 1000d or 400d m8
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

That's the cheapest 450D you'll get.

My advice on your budget is to go for the 400D. The difference between it and the 450D is not enough to affect a starter to DSLR's and in 6 months to a year you'll want to upgrade to a 50D or better anyway.

7 Day Shop are doing the 400D for £274 which will leave you enough to get an 18-55 IS lens for it from Harrison Camera's for just over £100. Plenty left in your budget for a decent tripod and head, Memory Card and extra batteries (dont buy Canon official, get the Hahn or other copies off Ebay as they work as well if not longer). Look up "Kerso" on Ebay and buy off him, cheap and reliable.
    Get a 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III card or 2 (about £15 each on Amazon, link below)

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=102548

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pro...Productid=7166

SanDisk CompactFlash 4GB Extreme III Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers Neo, i was thinking about a 400D last year but couldn't afford it but didn't think you could get them any more now the 450 is out but I might as well try and get a 400D and spend the rest on Lens etc.

I'm not looking to buy until end of the month or maybe even end of Feb, do you recon there will still be some 400D floating around then as well or should I skint myself and buy one straight away? I can always get the lens and other bits later.

Bloody expensive hobby though but I need a DSLR as its so frustrating not being able to get the shot that you want

Thanks
    Karma Level

A m8 gave me a 350d and I love it. Lots to learn but defo worth it. I will upgrade at some point but only when the 350d doesnt do what I want anymore, and tbh, I can't see that happening anytime soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Cheers Neo, i was thinking about a 400D last year but couldn't afford it but didn't think you could get them any more now the 450 is out but I might as well try and get a 400D and spend the rest on Lens etc.

I'm not looking to buy until end of the month or maybe even end of Feb, do you recon there will still be some 400D floating around then as well or should I skint myself and buy one straight away? I can always get the lens and other bits later.

Bloody expensive hobby though but I need a DSLR as its so frustrating not being able to get the shot that you want
    Don't jump in if you're not ready. The price may drop durther by Feb (It's certainly not going to increase).

When you're ready, use http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ to check the cheapest prices of cameras, lenses, memory cards, tripods, heads, etc... Great site.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

This really hurts me but *** CRINGE*** you may even want to consider picking up a Nikon D40 with kit lense for £225 from John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/230411289/Product.aspx

Just bear in mind you'll be shunned forever and stuck with their limit range of lenses

PS: It's a great little starter camera.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    This really hurts me but *** CRINGE*** you may even want to consider picking up a Nikon D40 with kit lense for £225 from John Lewis: http://www.johnlewis.com/230411289/Product.aspx

Just bear in mind you'll be shunned forever and stuck with their limit range of lenses

PS: It's a great little starter camera.
    lol Cheers Neo,I don't know fuck all about camera's but I do know that not many people on here use them so thats good enough reason for me not to get one

I'll keep my eye on the 400D and buy at the end of Feb I think. I don't want to buy a cheaper more basic cam as i'm hoping i'd pick things up quite quickly.

Just spotted a lens on Jessops for 6k I didn't realise you could buy stuff for that much!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use a Nikon D40x and I would personally recommend that if you dont have wads of cash to spend then buy a Canon.........

Why?...because the D40 / D40x(and other Nikons I think) do not have Auto focus motors built into the cam and therefore you need to purchase either AF-S or HSM lenses. As you can imagine these are a lot more expensive than their Canon equivalent (AF motor in Cam). When I got my DSLR, the first thing I wanted was more lenses (A 10-20mm to be exact) and I couldn't believe the price difference. I really want to say "Buy a NIKON" but look at lens prices first

//Bod

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post

LOL loads of lenses actually, just cost a bit more......

Thanks
    Karma Level

OK, don't shout at me, I own a Nikon D50. Love it and have a very good reason for choosing this one 2 years ago. The old man has a dozen or so Nikon Lens' I can 'borrow' so there isn't a lot I need to purchase in that department.

If it wasn't for him, I would have bought the Canon.

Quite simply, it's better (and cheaper in the long run)

Thanks
    Karma Level

f your planning on buying loads of lenses etc ,then i would say Canon ,if on the other hand you are going to stick with a stock lens ,or 2 or 3 lenses then Nikon simply because the camera is cheap but the cost of lenses is not as you need AF lenses for the D40 . I personally wouldnt say that there is much in the way of a difference between the two makes (technically or performance) ,but both canon and nikon are probably the best choice out of all the dslr's out there .
    The only difference i would say is that a nikon is 'easier' to change settings etc initially because of the way it is set up ,but after a little time you will get an idea on how both camera's adjust as they are very similar .
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to jump thread but i also been looking at a DSLR, i,vew been considering the fuji S5 pro or the nikon D300
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

all the major brands offer great cameras at entry level, dont limit yourself to nikon or canon. Sony, Fuji and a few others offer cheaper and often better spec'ed cameras, while the range of lenses isnt as vast, but theres certainly plenty to choose from. Its only really the very upper scale of things that the main 2 have the advantage and unless you intend to be spending £3000 on a camera and a grand on a lens, this isnt anything most of us will ever worry about.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1302...html?srcid=867 (there should also be a £30 cashback offer with this.
    Last edited by {{909}}; 19th January 2009 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is no one interested in Olympus here?

I would have tought you get a good entry camera for decent money and addidtional lenses don't cost the earth either.

I'm using Olympus for quite some time now and haven't beeen dissapointed.

As to follow up on the link above, this one is a nice entry set:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/8943...tal-ed-14.html

Maybe look also for the predecessor E410 as a double lens kit. This should leave you some spare cash for a memeory card and maybe even a spare battery. In case of Olympus BLM-1, look for the Uniross replacement.
    Greetings :)

Hogwart

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

[quote=neo2810;2711287], Memory Card and extra batteries (dont buy Canon official, get the Hahn or other copies off Ebay as they work as well if not longer). Look up "Kerso" on Ebay and buy off him, cheap and reliable.

Just to let you guys know incase you buy from Kerso advertised batterys at 1500mAh @ £7.99 each, i ordered 2 and when they landed they were 750mAh sent him a message and refund £10 so not a bad result in the end i would say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can pick up the 300D quite cheap off eBay these days. That's what I use and I love it
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil