Close

Thread: am i mad?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help am i mad?

i have been trying to get freeview on the tv down stairs..............

a good while ago i bought myself a new aerial and coax cable and managed to get my self freeview in my bedroon... the tv down stairs is connected to another aerial and does get freeview but not as many channels.....
    MY PLAN ... to connect the downstairs tv to my new aerial. MY freeview is set up like so .... aerial to booster .... to tv ....... so i first tried to connect the downstairs tv by adding an extra piece of coax to the existing piece so it would reach the spare output socket on my booster.
    YES it worked all the same channels as upstairs except 1 (virgin1) ... so i went and had a look ... the booster has a gain switch on it so i turned it up.......this made things worse...... now the upstairs tv was distorted....... so i turned it down......no help.....so i checked all connections and just redone them to be sure........now here is where it gets really strange . now i can get the upstairs tv to work only when i unplug the downstairs coax from the booster but the same is NOT true for the downstairs 1 it gets nothing now........after scratching my head for a few days i decided a new piece of coax would help
    i bought a kit from maplin that had 25m of coax 2 connecors and a booster . i took the new coax fitted the connectors and wired it up to the existing booster. upstairs tv fine down stairs tv nothing.

since doing this i have tried all manner of things to try and get the tv downstairs working...
    i have tried switching around the cables and outputs
    i have connected it straight to the aerial NOTHING
    i have connected it straight to the aerial but added the booster right next to the tv NOTHING
    i even tried aerial to booster to 25m coax to booster to booster to tv NOTHING (i know)
    at the moment it is back on its original aerial and has the channels i started with
    has any 1 any ideas why i can't get the same channels as upstairs
    my limited knowlege says that if the upstairs is getting it then by connecting the downstairs to the very same booster they should get the same

AERIAL.....i forget the name but its for digital tv
    BOOSTER...http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...27097#features...... I HAVE 2
    TRANSMITTER ....... DURRIS
    .any help is needed and appreciated SORRY FOR THE ESSAY

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: am i mad?

To be honest mate, I'm thinking you're making yourself a lot of additional work - you'd be far better off biting the bullet and paying 15 or so notes and getting a second set top box. With that, at least you can change channels without 1st having to use the stairs etc...

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry i must have explained it wrong.....
    i have ..... aerial to booster/splitter....... 1 output to upstairs freeview box and the other output to downstairs tv with built in freeview

Thanks
    Karma Level

try a different booster, the slx one from argos is quite good

i'm sure argos have a try it and return it policy

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol i have another booster a samsung 1 also 2 of the type i linked to........hhmm another booster i'll look it up

THIS 1? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C10199214.htm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Take your freeveiw box downstairs and connect it to your TV with a scart.
    Connect the aerial from upstairs and try that. Then you will have tested the cable downstairs.
    If it works then your built in freeview is stuffed.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by thinbloke View Post
    Take your freeveiw box downstairs and connect it to your TV with a scart.
    Connect the aerial from upstairs and try that. Then you will have tested the cable downstairs.
    If it works then your built in freeview is stuffed.
    Agreed, but quite inlikely. Although process of elimination is the best way... (Tried taking your downstairs TV, upstairs?)

I reckon you've gone and gotten yourself a dodgey cable. Seeing as the old one done something (albeit not enough) and the new one doesnt.

1 word of advice, when you return it to Maplins. Explain it's faulty (more than likely a break in it someplace) and tell them you want Satellite High Quality Coax. Instead of normal Standard Ariel Coax. There is a a big difference, especially when transmitting a Digital signal through it. The satellite cable is slightly thicker and harder to bend, but is much better and the picture will be constant as opposed to keep getting the 'pixel effect'.

Social Networking Bookmarks