Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dreambox 800 clone - Review

DM800 Clone

This week I bought a dm800 from linuxsat, it cost £280. I could have got it around 30 quid cheaper if I bought direct from china but didn't want the hassle of money transfers. Went for the clone because of the significant price difference, £120 quid can go towards my HDTV. I ordered the box Monday evening and it arrived Wednesday morning.

Opening the dreambox packaging and I was amazed at how small the box is itself. See pictures, it came with the dreambox ofcourse, dreambox remote control, batteries, dvi to hdmi lead (something to with licensing issues here), scart connection, sata cables for internal hard drive. The power supply is quite different to what you normally find, this is more like a laptop power supply that can be split in two ( don't know what the official name is). Also contained is the user manual, second half is in english and talks about the default image..

Plugged everything in minus the satellite connection, intially nothing came on screen, that is probably because it didnt recognise the scart connection. Anyway I took the power out and plugged it in straight away, this time the box didn't boot. Took power supply out and waited a moment and then plugged in, box booted, and tv detected. I repeated the process of taking the power lead out and plugging in immediately, again the box didn't boot. I think this is some kind of electrical safety feature but not fully sure. The box takes around two minutes to boot.

I cannot compare this box to the original as I haven't seen one. In the other thread it was mentioned that the newer images require bootloader 70 but the clone fails on that, at the moment we can install nabilosat 0.6 with bootloader 70 and then use dreamup to flash bootloader 69. Alot of people seem to be calling bootloader 70 a clone killer, i don't think it is, if it was then dream are doing a really crap job targetting clones.

The seller installed nabilosat 0.6 with UK channels, so it was really plug and play from here. Nabilosat 0.6 with bootloader 69 image exists on various upload sites.

I setup my network connections and uploaded my own channel settings and bouquets. You must remember to enable the use of multi-bouquets otherwise you can't see your favourite bouquets.

Satellite connection was plugged into check the tuner was working and after that it is just playing around with the software.

Nabilosat seems very good, did manage to crash the box a few times but that is to be expected on these early images, and I'm sure the same would happen on an original.

Temperature wise -- It feels the same as my sky box (one of the early model when sky first launched). I wouldn't say it is too hot, I haven't opened the box up yet but have been told that it contains a heatsink whereas the original doesn't.

I have yet to try out the various features, cccam, movie recording, timeshift etc etc.

In my opinion it is a good purchase for HD ready box, especially with the kind of support dreambox receives from image creators. Technomate 6900 costs around as much but i think dreamboxes are far superior.

If you have any questions just ask

pics here
    http://s555.photobucket.com/albums/jj462/deadman23456/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dreambox 800 clone - Review

any idea on how good the psu is on em...do they run hot left running for an extended period?...any hit and miss with the tuner?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I will test out for you this weekend, packed everything up for the time being.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As a friend to the DM600pvr, which I think would be the same as the dm800 but without HD, I can't rate these boxes highly enough.

I can't see why a clone wouldn't be pretty much the same, but personally, unless cash really was an issue, I would go for the original. Just my own own stuck up opinion and not based on much else!

I've not witnessed the power issues UT had, but sure the "soap on a rope" style PSU is the norm. Box is literally not much bigger than a double dvd box.

These are not DBoxes. They are a lot more complex and functional than they are. They are also better supported and have more images than you can poke a stick at. They are not for n00bs IMO.

Great review UT.

I may do a similar one for the DM600pvr now!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I understand its not a fully comprehensive review and appreciate the critical review of my review .

Maybe when someone gets an original here we can do some sort of comparision on how they each perform

the power problem is not really a problem, i've spoken to someone with a genuine and the same thing happens, you need to wait a few seconds before replugging in.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Like I say I have an original DM600pvr, which is essentially the same IIRC bar Engima2 and the DVI.

I'll write up on it when I get my arse in gear.

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi undertaker

did you expereince any trouble with the reception of the remote control on this box.

I have a dm800 and a dm600
    and feel that the dm800's infrared reciever is really badly positioned or very bad quality. U have to be right infront of reciever to actually get anything working.

Cheers
    Last edited by hamster; 17th January 2009 at 01:16 AM. Reason: subscribing to thread

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep same here, it's seems the problem exists on originals as well as clones

might get an extender and see if that changes things

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have brought one from linuxsat ive had no problem even the remote works fine, the only this is bootloader but i am sure it will be fixed, but its not an issue as nabilo 6 is doing what its suppose to do so no need for updating. One other thing I am impressed with the service i got from linuxsat very helpful and honest replies. I have seen websites selling clones and lying so goto give credit to linuxsat for not lying about them and selling at good price.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pakmafia View Post
    I have brought one from linuxsat ive had no problem even the remote works fine, the only this is bootloader but i am sure it will be fixed, but its not an issue as nabilo 6 is doing what its suppose to do so no need for updating. One other thing I am impressed with the service i got from linuxsat very helpful and honest replies. I have seen websites selling clones and lying so goto give credit to linuxsat for not lying about them and selling at good price.
    I've been looking to get hold of a DM 600 PVR and it's a minefield with all the clones. The official site doesn't list any distributors for the UK. The Linuxsat advert I found for the 600 doesn't mention it's a clone or not but the £115 price is a bit of a giveaway.

I'm just conscious I could as easily pay £229 for what I think is a genuine one to find it's not ...

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont think its a clone, if you click on dm800 it clearly states made in china, and sais it has extra heatsink which is the clone.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    Not sure dream multimedia can take any moral high ground here, just my opinion but wasnt the dreambox just a clone in the begining of the Nokia Dbox2 and the people who developed the tools to use that then also adapted for the DM7000.
    As I had a genuine DM7000 (blue screen) which was released with woeful power supply and a DM7020s which was released with wrong chips on the network. Both these boxes were 100% genuine and 100% kack.
    In my opinion Dreambox have now priced themselves out of the market on the back of many hard working hobbiests who developed tools and software.
    I have no issue with original posters review and thank him for it.
    best wishes
    LS
    Last edited by Lou_smorals; 27th February 2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just bought a DM600 and am on the whole pretty pleased with it. I wanted it for news feeds hoping MPEG 4:2:2 could be saved to disc and converted or played back on the PC. Whilst this is the case, sadly the box is really deaf at low symbol rates so it's just being used as a freesat box for now.

I went for an original unit mainly to avoid any issues with certain images toasting the box but then having tried a few images I settled on PLi IoLite anyway.

My other concern with the Chinese clones is whether they have been built with any sort of safety in mind. At least the DM original units are (genuinely) CE marked so things shouldn't catch fire etc ...

There was a temptation to go for the half-price clone and maybe if money were tighter and I realised it wouldn't do low symbol rates, that's the way I'd have gone. Could be the clone unit might have better performance!

Thanks
    Karma Level

hows the STB undertaker?

was thinking of getting one myself, but heard a few horror stories of it over heating and crashing all the time, any issues?