Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: XBOX 360 & Windows 7 Media Centre - List AVI's Like DVD's !

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyMan View Post
    OK. I am still stuck on this. I have all my DVD rips looking wonderful. But I still have my AVI's although looking decent now, in my video library and not my dvd library. I know Video_TS is a notepad file edited. But is the .wkv file simply a notepad file saved with the extension .wkv? Also I am using Mymovies for the dvdid files and the cover, as when googling I assumed mymovies would add the AVI files to my dvd library. Why can't microsoft ever make things simple, and why do they have to stop all their products from having the support you need? lol
    Firstly, the 'wkv' file is a WVX file that is read by Windows Media Center to find the files. It tricks it into thinking it's a compatible file. It IS a Notepad file with the above code inside it (The Code Tag keeps removing it for some reason).

A quote from file extension explanation website explains -
    Windows Media Video Redirector (.wvx) files are Windows Media Metafiles that reference Windows Media Video (.wmv) files
    OR in this case AVI files!

I've never used 'MyMovies' for the DVDID's, but so long as it creates DVDID.XML files, I dont think it should be a problem, although DVDXML.com is the Official online site (ATM) for DVD information, including Synopsis as far as I have found, hence the reason that the only list released DVD's as it goes by the DVDID physically on the DVD itself.

Due to my XBox360 recently dying, I havent really been to bothered about since I've bought a PS3. However, I've sent it back to MS to see if they'll fix it. Once it gets returned I'll set it up again to make sure this method still works (I cant see why not though).

The reason they are only adding the files to your 'Video Library' is because of this part -

Transcode-v0.7.zip
    Not to be confused with Transcode 360. This file creates the DVD Folder selection in Manage Libraries.
    You need to copy the .DLL file to your Extender folder which is C:\WINDOWS\EHOME
    Then import the .REG file into your registry.
    Go to your Extender on your XBox360 (Tasks > Settings > Manage Libraries) Select DVD Movies and add the Parent Folder of your files.
    Do as it says and you can Import the files into the DVD Library.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DejaVu View Post
    Firstly, the 'wkv' file is a WVX file that is read by Windows Media Center to find the files. It tricks it into thinking it's a compatible file. It IS a Notepad file with the above code inside it (The Code Tag keeps removing it for some reason).

A quote from file extension explanation website explains -

OR in this case AVI files!

I've never used 'MyMovies' for the DVDID's, but so long as it creates DVDID.XML files, I dont think it should be a problem, although DVDXML.com is the Official online site (ATM) for DVD information, including Synopsis as far as I have found, hence the reason that the only list released DVD's as it goes by the DVDID physically on the DVD itself.

Due to my XBox360 recently dying, I havent really been to bothered about since I've bought a PS3. However, I've sent it back to MS to see if they'll fix it. Once it gets returned I'll set it up again to make sure this method still works (I cant see why not though).

The reason they are only adding the files to your 'Video Library' is because of this part -

Do as it says and you can Import the files into the DVD Library.

Cheers. It's just the more 3rd party apps and hacks I add to Windows the worse it runs. I have borrowed a Popcorn Hour now, and if that works out, looking to dump windows and just have a NAS running and using PCH's in each room.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Coming back to this soon, gonna get this fucker using MKV's if it kills me (and it probably will!). Should my XBox not get repaired I'm just gonna use it as a media extender in the bedroom.

Will update this when I get it back.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 7th August 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Typo's (I'm crap at typing on the fly!)

Thanks
    Karma Level

any luck with this DejaVu?

Thanks
    Karma Level

just to let people know that a handy programme called YAMMM can download the artwork and create the XML for your movies which works a treat with this MCE tweak, it also works with newer films that are not yet released on DVD http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/73390/359121.aspx

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am now trying to look into a revised way of using Media Center on the XBOX360 to play MKV's streamed across a network or from a HDD.

I'm going to make a new tutorial once I've sussed it. I will also implement YAMMM into this to help get the covers for the movies automatically.

Will keep you posted.

I already had MKV files streaming to my XBox360, but the quality is NOT HD as yet.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Update

Now Streaming a MKV directly to my XBox WITHOUT Transcode 360. Making a much better job of it. Also implementing MediaBrowser Coverflow into the mix. Will update shortly.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 12th March 2010 at 06:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Social Networking Bookmarks