Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Current accounts and savings accounts

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on current accounts and savings accounts. Who do you think is the best bank to be with? are there any that stand out? I personally think smile is a good bank. What do you think? My darling mrs wants another account to save in and use day to day. Thanks
    Life is good...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Current accounts and savings accounts

Current accounts are a no no for saving, most ISA's arent that good either these days. You can snag an easy £100 if you switch your current bank to A&L, funding it with £500 each month. My CS experience with them though has not been that great though. I like HSBC, Ive always had good customer service from them.

There is talk of rates being cut to 1% in a few days so Id move fast to try get a decent fixed deal. Your best reading MSE saving forums or fool.co.uk for the best deals. The way its going lately under the matress might be your best bet though.Sorry i couldnt advise more on the best accounts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fett View Post
    Current accounts are a no no for saving, most ISA's arent that good either these days. You can snag an easy £100 if you switch your current bank to A&L, funding it with £500 each month. My CS experience with them though has not been that great though. I like HSBC, Ive always had good customer service from them.

There is talk of rates being cut to 1% in a few days so Id move fast to try get a decent fixed deal. Your best reading MSE saving forums or fool.co.uk for the best deals. The way its going lately under the matress might be your best bet though.Sorry i couldnt advise more on the best accounts.
    You have told me much thankyou!
    Life is good...

Thanks
    Karma Level

First direct are also giving a £100 incentive to move your account to them, and if you aren't happy after 6 months they'll give you another £100 and help you to transfer away. I've been a customer though for about 15 years and have never had a problem at all, would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to jump on the post but i need info on this aswell im 25 on feb 15th n have over 45k comein to me from inheritance i got left ive got to bank it untill i get a house end of this year just wanted to know sum ideas on wot to do cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crack_it View Post
    sorry to jump on the post but i need info on this aswell im 25 on feb 15th n have over 45k comein to me from inheritance i got left ive got to bank it untill i get a house end of this year just wanted to know sum ideas on wot to do cheers
    Well max out your ISA allowance - but right now returns on capital are low. I would leave it in as high rate savings account you can find - then at the tail end of the year, buy a house and rent it out - using your money as a deposit.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crack_it View Post
    Like gunner has said deffo use ya isa allowance, prob best rate though is at 4.3 at the mo, so hurry. You will get a good rate on drip feeding saving accounts that mature in a year (£250 a month), so set up multiple accounts. Also id think about renting for a while longer, the money spent renting would probably be less than the amount lost in future house price drops, at least till we reach some sort of bottom or plateau and you should be in a better position with 45k then.