Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Proper NOOB questions....read on...

OK I know that you are all techies out there in DF land, so some questions from a complete idiot when it comes to web stuff.

Here goes...

I have just joined a small business, they know I know a bit about PC's (mostly hardware and also mostly gleaned from DF) Among other things computer related they want me to set up a website on the cheap, they think that anyone who knows about PC's should be able to do this.

I don't !!

This is where you come in.

I have bought a domain name for 10 USD per year on google sites, probably my first mistake. Then tried to build a site on google sites, pretty sure that this was my second mistake because I can't do anything that I want to do - there are VERY basic templates and it looks rubbish. I have not shared this with the world yet so at least only I can see it.

I think I need a proper web hosting service that I can transfer the domain name to and upload pages ??
    Using FTP ??

Also I need email for 5 people (or departments e.g. me, the director, enquiries, etc.)

Feel free to flame me as this may seem like a toddlers query, but hey ho, my philosophy is that the only really dumb questions are the ones that are never asked.

Hope you can help - my job is on the line here !!!

pete
    What if the Hokey Cokey "IS" what it's all about?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Proper NOOB questions....read on...

I've always used 1and1 hosting, heard they are a bit more expensive than others but their service is spot on in my opinion, teceh support always open with short waitings times. I'd recommend them.

I'm pretty sure you can transfer the domain to anyone easily. Uploading pages is quiet easy and so is setting up email addresses.

Regarding the actual site, i'd love to help but the websites my company are outsourced.

I will be able to help on small parts of the site when you're creating it.

When you get a hosting package if you need help pm me and i'll gladly set up your email addresses and ftp etc.