Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default iPhone: Turn-By-Turn Voice Navigation “Just Around the Corner” with xGPS!

Ever since the release of the iPhone/iPod Touch, users have been eagerly awaiting a viable Satellite Navigation software that, unlike the built in Google Maps application, includes Turn-by-Turn voice Navigation. Well, for some time now, the team over at xwaves have been working on, and constantly improving their xGPS software and there have been many public releases with none comparing to the latest one.

In the last couple of days, the team announced that they had a fully working beta version (1.2) that supports Turn-By-Turn, and voice instructions to tell you when to turn, which currently only supports English.
    The previous version of xGPS was almost everything that iPhone users wanted, real-time GPS navigation. In an official statement released on the xwaves website, the team listed all the improvements and bug fixes since the last release;

• Bookmarks for saved directions now work correctly, so you can save all the bookmarks you want in an improved way.
    • GPX logging now works correctly. Save GPX data into multiple logs. Logs will be saved per calculated trips, and now adds the proper end carriage.
    • Current Location and Recompute Itinerary now work correctly. For those area’s where it didn’t work before, i.e USA, your location status now works. There is no more “you have to have a hard address” errors. Plot your destination and roll out.
    • Wrong Way indicator can now be hidden, should you feel adventurous during your routing, or need to make an extra stop.
    • Better stability in the Map Manager for the iPhone.
    • Overall program stability and performance upgrades.

Even with all the updates, improvements and fixes that have been included in this release, there have also, and probably most excitingly, been some expansion of the xGPS Program! What’s new to xGPS in this latest release?

• Wireless transfer of your map files. No longer do you have to dig around in your iPhone directory to find your map file or put it in the right place. Simply download your maps from your computer and wirelessly push them to the xGPS program on your iPhone. It’s that easy!
    • Google Terrain maps are now supported and added as another option for maps. All you hikers, bikers, and adventurers can benefit from this new feature.
    • GPS information. Access your GPS’s latitude/longitude specs as well as altitude and speed of your unit, and send it via e-mail.
    • English voice instructions are now supported. Now included is the ability to receive verbal commands on your next turn as you approach it.
    • Night Mode for all you road warriors travelling across the country at all hours of the night. A new, easy view for the eyes when driving at night.
    • Access your GPX traces on your computer using a normal web-browser using the wireless transfer feature.

The xGPS Maps Manager has also been renamed to xGPS Manager, and with a new name comes new software. The manager has thus been completely rewritten from scratch and now includes these exciting new features;

• Name your map sections and keep them organized. When downloading maps you can now name each region, allowing you to know what you downloaded, at what zoom levels and it’s size.
    • Ability to download multiple zoom levels at a time now added.
    • Keep drawn region outline when download of map is finished, should you want to download another zoom level or terrain maps of the same regions already downloaded.
    • Google Terrain Maps is now supported.
    • Wirelessly push and retrieve maps to and from your device.
    • Manage and sync your GPX routes from your iPhone/computer and show them plotted on a map.

As you can see, alot has gone into the next release of the xGPS iPhone Application. The planned release date for xGPS 1.2 is for the end of this month. iPod Touch users would need to use this software in conjunction with a GPS module and both iPhone and iPod touch would need an audio output cable either connected to the car sterio, or lighter port.
    The current version can be downloaded by adding their source - http://cydia.xwaves.net
    I was hoping to get sneak preview of the beta release, but the video below shows xGPS 1.2 in action.

Source: http://planet-iphones.com/2009/02/12...ner-with-xgps/

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: iPhone: Turn-By-Turn Voice Navigation “Just Around the Corner” with xGPS!

This has long been my biggest gripe about the iPhone, I'm glad a solution is finally on its way.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: iPhone: Turn-By-Turn Voice Navigation “Just Around the Corner” with xGPS!

I'm looking forward to getting this, the screen on the iphone is huge compared to my old Nokia so should be ace for satnav

Thanks
    Karma Level

so to use this you still have to have a gps module with an iphone 2g??? , ive installed it but not tried it in a car
    Last edited by Freaky; 2nd March 2009 at 01:26 AM.
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hmmmm very interesting if you can get it to link with an external bluetooth gps dongle

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't get this to give me directions (i know spoken directions are v1.2 but should 1.1 give text instructions?).

I have been searching for a decent 'sat nav' package
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I didn't get on with it either. It struggled to start directing me from work to home. The maps app that comes on the phone works fine but I can't change it to landscape Tried to download the maps for the NW of England and it wanted over 8gig of space lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is something I have been waiting for, for a long while now.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out later.

Thanks
    Karma Level

1.2 is out now with voice guided navigation.
    ©lubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    1.2 is out now with voice guided navigation.
    You managed to find it anywhere and install? Just having a look now

edit to say i can't find it on Cydia, its only got version 1.1. Would be good to find a working repository for 1.2

edit again to add this link with more info

http://xgpsdev.xwaves.net/
    Last edited by liveseytowers; 3rd March 2009 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I opened Cydia and under changes it showed up xgps was available to upgrade.
    ©lubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Installed it now, looks a bit better than the previous version.

You can download the manager for it which im hoping will let me download maps for it.

http://xgps.xwaves.net/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Another update from me, i've tested it and it works a treat. One thing to note is that the volume comes from your iPod volume so you need to make sure you have it on full before you set off. Plus the voice is a Stephen Hawkings voice but thats still OK.

I've got the maps downloading from London to the Scotish borders on my PC at home and its 650meg. Not too bad IMO. A tip for the maps, when downloading them you can select the detail that you download on a scale of 1 to 17. If you select say 2,17 then it will be huge but if you just download 2, then the file size is massively reduced. Now all I need to do is go somewhere I don't know how to get too?

Thanks
    Karma Level

bugger, just spotted this, will seriously need to consider quickpwning my 3g now !

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tested this earlier too and found that the sound is just too low to be heard in a car. The mph reading is useless as it just jumps up and down randomly. I was doing 70mph and it said 111mph at one stage.

Other than that it is good and will get better with updates. They need to sort out the Stephen Hawking voice (nicely put livesy) as it is really annoying.
    ©lubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber Lang View Post
    I tested this earlier too and found that the sound is just too low to be heard in a car.
    Did you turn your ipod volume on full before using it in the car? That def made it audible in my car. Seeing as its only just been released i'd expect a few bugs but can't grumble for free. I've got a USB port in my car as well so I can have it on charge which will help for long journeys. Can't imagine it doing much for battery life!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep iPod volume was on full but it just wasn't loud enough. I have a car charger and as Livesy said it probably is a necessity.
    ©lubber Lang

CHAMP19NS

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree. I had a drive from Heathrow to Liverpool yesterday.

Maps were good
    Voice tooooo quiet
    Battery went flat around stoke
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just wish they could implement vector maps to keep the size down. The whole of Europe will ever POI imaginable shouldn't be more than 2GB.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

so anyone of you using this on a 2g fone then do you HAVE to use a gps dongle?? and if you are where u getting them that fit the iphone, and the audio adapter thing that goes in the tape deck of a car like in the vid

and has anyone tried downloading a map from the pc program manager thing, when i click download nothing happens then the program crashes
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see.
    One chance out between two worlds. Fire Walk With Me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast