Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help $ky Multiroom at different address?

I have recently moved house. The folks have sky at their place and I was wondering if I could order Multiroom and bring the second box down to my new address or will they call back every few days to make sure that both boxes are at the same addy?

Anyone with any experience of this would be great!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: $ky Multiroom at different address?

Dunno what the frequency rate is, but they do expect a bit of talkback from the box.
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    I have recently moved house. The folks have sky at their place and I was wondering if I could order Multiroom and bring the second box down to my new address or will they call back every few days to make sure that both boxes are at the same addy?

Anyone with any experience of this would be great!
    Peg is right...and they will normally send you a warning letter or two to tell you they are on to you!

Eventually if you do not connect the box to the registered telephone line they will charge you full sub for the time you aint had it connected.

However, you could be lucky!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

my multiroom box isent connected to phone line and hasent bee for 2 years and ive not had a problem.but i might just be lucky.

Thanks
    Karma Level

couldn't you do a manual callback from the box every week or fortnight?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by us View Post
    couldn't you do a manual callback from the box every week or fortnight?
    Its certainly worth a go...I'm just listing my own personal experience form a few years back here....I deffo got reminder letters when I thought my box was connected and the phone extention was fubar.

I also think PSX confirmed it had happened to him.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I took multi room off last year - I only had it because it was part of a deal when I upgraded to Sky+. The box was in the spare room and only got used when friends or relatives so it was usually switched off at the mains. I got sick of the letters and phone calls from $ky threatening me with increased subs and even termination of my subscription - I explained the situation to the numerous times, even offered to allow them to make unannounced visits to check the box was still in position - they refused, and also refused to pay for the electicity they were demanding I use to power the box so they could talk to it whenever they wanted

soon as the 12 months was up I cancelled the multi room - I still have a pile of the letters - must be around 20 of them

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive never connected my HD box to the telephone line. Never had any probs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

But do you have multi room? Our box also hasn't been plugged in for years - only single room though. The manual call back sounds interesting.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi,

If you buy a box and just subscribe to $ky, you don't need to connect to a phone line even though they like you to. I got $ky for years, but never connected the box to a phone line and never have. It just can be difficult explaining this to the call center guys overseas as they insist "you have to connect it to a phone line sir", but this can be sorted by getting trough to the call center they have in Scotland (very helpful bunch with the problem sorted in 2 minutes after I was faffing about for a while with the other guys). This was the only "hurdle" I had when I registered a replacement box as the old one was busted.

I see two possibilities:

The folks you wish to share with, take out multiroom and you pay them for it and connect the box you receive periodically to their phone line somehow if it was supplied by $ky. The maximum time you will have some hassle with this arrangement would be 12 months (or initial contract time, I'm not sure how long this might be).

Or you buy a box, sort out the registration details for this box with your hosts and pay them for the multiroom sub. I.e. they have to phone $ky, register this particular box for the multiroom option (may order an additional card etc.). This way you should have no hassle at all, as you don't have to connect the box, as it is your own box. Only problem with this would be the necessary upgrade of the dish (a bit larger and a quad LNB).

So far as I understand the system, if $ky supplies the box, i.e it has being subsidised, they want you to connect it to the phone line as to collect info from you (plus updates, movie payments etc.). I haven't heard anything that this has changed. If it has, please someone correct me.
    Greetings :)

Hogwart

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have Never connected my sky phoneline in. Never had any issues, if this is the case how are people getting UK subs and sending their boxes of to spain and greece.

Thanks
    Karma Level

All boxes regardless if you buy the box yourself have to be connected when taking out the multiroom package.

The only time you don't have to the phone line connected is when you have a single sub of which you own the box, or if you sign up as a new sub and you pay them £25 pound not to have the phone line connected.

After a year on a single sub you can disconnect the phone line but the multiroom subs reqiure you to still be connected after the year.

All new mutlirooms subs do get call backs within the first few months, it's down to riding out the letters etc they will send you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kroner View Post
    All boxes regardless if you buy the box yourself have to be connected when taking out the multiroom package.

The only time you don't have to the phone line connected is when you have a single sub of which you own the box, or if you sign up as a new sub and you pay them £25 pound not to have the phone line connected.

After a year on a single sub you can disconnect the phone line but the multiroom subs reqiure you to still be connected after the year.

All new mutlirooms subs do get call backs within the first few months, it's down to riding out the letters etc they will send you.
    Ah, learned something new, thought somehow there might be more to this on a multiroom installation... The £25 fee must be new, defo didn't have to pay that.
    Greetings :)

Hogwart

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by amepani View Post
    I have Never connected my sky phoneline in. Never had any issues, if this is the case how are people getting UK subs and sending their boxes of to spain and greece.
    Because they by 2nd hand boxes which never need to be connected to a phone line, and obviously sub via a UK address!

Who says their sub needs to be a multiroom sub anyway?
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

My mate used to do this and had no hassles

Would just swap over the boxes every 2-3 weeks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for all the info lads! I reckon I might just swap the box with the folks box every 2 or 3 weeks, they don't live that far from me and it would be no hassle at all to do. Seems like the way to go. I'll keep ye posted