Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Is there a differance between unlocking and relay unlocking from a provider?

Hiya chaps, is there a difference between unlocking a phone at the market (for example) and unlocking it from a providers relay?

Cheers,

Devs

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is there a differance between unlocking and relay unlocking from a provider?

Depends

Generally no difference - an unlock is an unlock - BUT depending on who does the unlocking and what equipment they use can do different things

Unlocking by code - regardless of how the code is generated your phone is unlocked correctly

Unlocking with box or clip - generally the same results as code unlocking - i.e. a good unlock.

Just be aware that some of the cheaper boxes or clips and some specific phones/firmware levels on certain phones can be unlocked by "patching" the phones firmware to bypass the lock checks making the phone work as if it had been unlocked "properly"

Unlocking using a yessim/turbo-sim/similar card - doesn't actually unlock the phone - the card just intercepts the request for sim data between the phone and sim card and responds with whatever data it's been programmed with to make the phone think it's unlocked.

Clear as mud huh
    Last edited by Northernbloke; 22nd April 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Is there a differance between unlocking and relay unlocking from a provider?

Jeees, quite a bit to it then

Cheers for the info Northernbloke - its appreciated.

What it is... My missus has just been given a blackberry 8300 that was on 02 from a friend. She's on Orange so I just popped the Orange SIM in the phone and it all worked fine other than the email. So I thought it must have been unlocked previously? The guy at Orange said that it needs to be unlocked from 02 relay and that they are the only people that can do this?

I just want to be sure of what I'm doing before I buy an unlock code from ebay as they charge less than 02.

Cheers mate,

Devs
    Last edited by devs; 22nd April 2009 at 08:58 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't know much about blackberry phones so can't help a lot further

If it can wait a day or 2 then I'm sure mobileman or some of the other guru's on here will offer there advice now you've told us exactly what it is you want unlocking.

Personally I wouldn't trust any unlocking "solutions" from flea-bay - I've seen far to many tales of woe when codes don't work and folks read the small print on the sellers adverts stating that it's not their fault if the codes don't work and there's no refund.

Much better to get it done a local shop/regular market stall guy who you can go back to if there's any problems.

good luck whichever way you go - I like the Yessim myself and it has the benefit of being generic for most phones so you can just take it with you and use it on future phones - although Nokia in particular currently seem to be throwing out firmware updates that stop these beauties working

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the advice buddy - very helpful. I'll wait and see if any of the guys reading know of a solution for a Blackberry.

Cheers again,

Devs

Thanks
    Karma Level

devs, in the same boat here fella.. looking for the same advice, searching thru all the other mobile forums..off site.. makes my head hurt !

Thanks
    Karma Level

just take it to a local place that unlocks. Its pretty straightforward the application generates the MEP code which you enter and your phones unlocked. It does not require any reflashing or etc. I know someone that can do it remotely for you if you want. So you plug your blackberry in and he will take control of your PC and unlock it for you. Give me a PM if your interested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by c0axial View Post
    devs, in the same boat here fella.. looking for the same advice, searching thru all the other mobile forums..off site.. makes my head hurt !
    haha yeah its a little head doing

amepani thanks for the help mate - I'm on a Mac so will take it to a guy tomorrow and hopefully get it sorted. I was just a little dubious as the phone appears to be unlocked and the guy at orange was adamant that only 02 to take it off there relay.

Devs