Close

Thread: Pain in wrist

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Pain in wrist

Hi all,

I do a lot of pc work and a lot of xbox 360 gaming. The mouse I use on the pc is a microsoft trackball optical like this:

and I use the standard official 360 pad. I have pretty harsh pains in my right wrist that are slowly getting worse. Is it to do with overusing my thumb? I use my thumb to move the trackball and the right analogue stick of the pad.

Could it be an RSI, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis or something else?

Anti-inflamatories help a little but not completely.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
    Russbeer

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Pain in wrist

If you think it may be related to overusing your thumb why not try a standard mouse for a week or so and see it it clears it up a bit

Thanks
    Karma Level

Which hand to you wank with?

Is it stiff in the morning and eases off during the day? shit that sounds worse than the first line. LOL

My left wrist the other week started playing up I couldn't lift anything with it at all, it was painful to move in the morning but eased off during the day but I still couldn't support any weight with it. I went to the doctors who give me anti inflammatory and sent me for blood tests I'm still popping the pills which do ease the pain but if I forget to take one I know about it a few hours later. The doc should have the test results i by now I hope I have no idea what it is and I'm right handed so I'm not sure about RSI. I turn 30 and start to fall apart. My worry is that my mums side of the family have all had arthritis I hope it isn't that just yet.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its likely to be Carpal Tunnel (trapped nerve), RSI or tendonitis. Perhaps you can ask your GP for a cortisone steroidal injection in the affected wrist.

At work I use massive wrist pads for my keyboard and mouse, and I also have small weights on my desk which I sometimes use to excercise my wrists. Needless to say I'm very worried about developing some sort of RSI since I'm chained to a computer.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    Anti-inflamatories help a little but not completely.
    NSAIDS (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) are one of the worst things you can put into your body on a regular basis.

Google it............

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can get wrist supports which will help, also ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and pain killer which will also help, but as CJ says, not good for long periods. Next thing is rest it as much as you can.
    Its almost certainly carpal tunnel / tendonitis problem, I had this some time back and can be feckin painful. Follow the above and it will go over time. Probably not very quickly TBH tho.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    NSAIDS (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) are one of the worst things you can put into your body on a regular basis.

Google it............
    Shit. I used to use diclofenac on a regular basis for my back, although I've not used it in a while.
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Russbeer do you use a PC at work?
    If so speak to your HR department, they should be able to provide you with information, wrist rest and do an analysis on your desk / seating / PC setup etc.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Google it............
    I suppose a more natural remedy could include capsaicin cream.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    I suppose a more natural remedy could include capsaicin cream.
    I think the best way to treat inflammation in the body as naturally as possible is to ensure the omega 3 to 6 ratio is correct.

We should ideally be getting these essential fats in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio, however, the typical western diet has the ratio at around 1:20 and sometimes as high as 1:40. Omega 6 intake (usually as a result of too many processed foods containing sunflower/ generic 'vegetable oil') causes inflammatory processes to increase in the body. Omega 3, on the other hand, decreases inflammation.

This is also one of the main reasons we have such high incidences of heart disease in the west too, as heart disease is essentially a disease caused by too much inflammation in the body.

So, reduce your intake of omega 6 by cutting down on prcessed foods and sunflower/vegetable oils and increase your intake of oily fish such as salmon, mackeral sardines etc. If you can't get enough oily fish then consider an omega 3 supplement.

Ginger is also a very potent natural anti-inflammatory. It's very easy to make an iced ginger tea using a good 1-2 inches of root, a little honey and some cinnamon to taste.

Place the chopped ginger into a Pyrex jug or similar and pour just boiled water over it. Add a little honey to balance the flavours - again to personal preference - not much is needed. Stir well and cover (a plate will do) and leave for about 10 minutes. Sieve the contents from the jug into a flask / container and leave to cool, then place in the fridge.

All the above is not going to cure you, but it will help the body reduce the inflammation and it should bring some relief without the need for excessive dependance on NSAIDS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

great advice people. Thanks!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the best way to treat inflammation in the body as naturally as possible is to ensure the omega 3 to 6 ratio is correct.

We should ideally be getting these essential fats in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio, however, the typical western diet has the ratio at around 1:20 and sometimes as high as 1:40. Omega 6 intake (usually as a result of too many processed foods containing sunflower/ generic 'vegetable oil') causes inflammatory processes to increase in the body. Omega 3, on the other hand, decreases inflammation.

This is also one of the main reasons we have such high incidences of heart disease in the west too, as heart disease is essentially a disease caused by too much inflammation in the body.

So, reduce your intake of omega 6 by cutting down on prcessed foods and sunflower/vegetable oils and increase your intake of oily fish such as salmon, mackeral sardines etc. If you can't get enough oily fish then consider an omega 3 supplement.

Ginger is also a very potent natural anti-inflammatory. It's very easy to make an iced ginger tea using a good 1-2 inches of root, a little honey and some cinnamon to taste.

Place the chopped ginger into a Pyrex jug or similar and pour just boiled water over it. Add a little honey to balance the flavours - again to personal preference - not much is needed. Stir well and cover (a plate will do) and leave for about 10 minutes. Sieve the contents from the jug into a flask / container and leave to cool, then place in the fridge.

All the above is not going to cure you, but it will help the body reduce the inflammation and it should bring some relief without the need for excessive dependance on NSAIDS.
    Czar how have you become some knowledgeable? I like it

Thanks
    Karma Level

It never ceases to amaze me. I'm referring to CJ's totally contrasting post styles, he's a definite Jeckyl and Hyde.
    One minute he can post something totally repulsive/rediculess/hilarious/obscene, yet the next he comes out with ones like the above which are incredibly helpful. It's obviously something he cares about.
    Do you work in the health sector, or do you just make sure you look after yourself?
    Ooh, ooh, ooh, the funky gibbon.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by funkyg View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me. I'm referring to CJ's totally contrasting post styles, he's a definite Jeckyl and Hyde.
    One minute he can post something totally repulsive/rediculess/hilarious/obscene, yet the next he comes out with ones like the above which are incredibly helpful. It's obviously something he cares about.
    Do you work in the health sector, or do you just make sure you look after yourself?
    After the beastiality/ dolphin episode its part of his community service!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im screwed the only fish I like comes battered from the chippy or in cake form from captain birdseye

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    Im screwed the only fish I like comes battered from the chippy or in cake form from captain birdseye
    Try fresh tuna steak, lightly seared or grilled. Absolutely fan-bloody-tastic.
    Do not over cook tho' It could seriously change your mind about fish!
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fresh Tuna loin is gorgeous, especially with some noodles and sweet chilli sauce. Don't think it counts as an oily fish though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I forgot, I like tuna but don't eat it that much forget to get it while shopping there is always tins of the stuff in. but its not the same I love the meaty texture of tuna steak.

I phoned the doctors earlier and they want to repeat the blood test in a few month for the blood test antinuclear antibodies, I know its something to do with the immune system and that. im booked in for July 7th