Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info New SKY Card (Question)

With the new SKY cards being issued over the coming weeks/months. When I receive mine, would I be able to put this card in a new SKY box, as my current STB is on its last legs (without having to call SKY)

Also, I presume when the new card is inserted into the STB, this will deactivate the old card, if so, would this deactive the freeview channels???, as I was think about using this card with another feed as a freeview box upstairs. So I would not have to fork out for a freeview card.

Any information would be grateful

Corn

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New SKY Card (Question)

depends if you have any premium channels and if you have Sky+. Cards need to be paired for sky+ and any premium channels (sports, movies). AFAIK for just the very basic sub it doesn't need pairing (well the Mrs dad's card works in my box for basic sub).

Not too sure what they do to the old cards. I would suspect they will be OK for FTV stuff but cannot gaurantee it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CornStopper View Post
    With the new SKY cards being issued over the coming weeks/months. When I receive mine, would I be able to put this card in a new SKY box, as my current STB is on its last legs (without having to call SKY)

Also, I presume when the new card is inserted into the STB, this will deactivate the old card, if so, would this deactive the freeview channels???, as I was think about using this card with another feed as a freeview box upstairs. So I would not have to fork out for a freeview card.

Any information would be grateful

Corn
    If you are putting the card in a box that your current card isnt paired with then yes you will have to contact Sky, it will work for all channels except premium channels (Sports & Movies) assuming you have a valid subscription.

You can use the old card upstairs, however, once the switchover is complete it will cease to work, and you will have to buy a new freesat card.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    depends if you have any premium channels and if you have Sky+. Cards need to be paired for sky+ and any premium channels (sports, movies). AFAIK for just the very basic sub it doesn't need pairing (well the Mrs dad's card works in my box for basic sub).

Not too sure what they do to the old cards. I would suspect they will be OK for FTV stuff but cannot gaurantee it.
    Plus functions are not paired with the box.

You can take an active card from one box put it in one without a Sky+ sub and the recording functions will work, as will all subscription channels other than the premium ones. The plus functions are stored on the card as are the recordings you make with that card.

I know cos I've tried it!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yes, have premium channels (Sports).

Thanks for the heads up, when I get my new card will put it in my current stb and update at a later date. When the old cards are defunct and a get a freesat card and install a dual LNB and cablling for other STB.

Thanks all for the quick replies.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Plus functions are not paired with the box.

You can take an active card from one box put it in one without a Sky+ sub and the recording functions will work, as will all subscription channels other than the premium ones. The plus functions are stored on the card as are the recordings you make with that card.

I know cos I've tried it!
    Was going off my experience of when I had to pair my card that came out of a Sky+ box to a Sky HD box as the recording functions didn't work. Once paired they started working.