Close

Thread: CV joint?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info CV joint?

I had half day today so i've been fixing the car - Megane 1997 (I crashed the van ).

It's been making a noise that gets louder as I go faster and sounds like a WW1 fighter plane shooting when I turn on full lock. I thought it was the 'exhausts back box' as it was hanging off - so I replaced it myself today. The cost was £28 versus a £170 quote at the garage!
    My problem is the noise is still there - although it's more distinguished now. The back box was obviously 'adding' to the overall din but not the whole problem.

Do you think my problem is a CV joint? Possibly both sides?
    It's been making a noise that gets louder as I go faster and sounds like a WW1 fighter plane shooting when I turn on full lock
    I'm thinking of having a go again after work tomorrow but it's looking like £30 per joint and a bitch of a job. I don't want to be in the situation of doing it and finding out it's something like a steering rack. I've had it up on the jack today and when I spin the wheel it seems to have a 'bit of play' when I spin the wheel. Is it dangerous to be driving on screwed CV joints? I drive a lot!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: CV joint?

If it's that badly gone the balls won't fit in the joint tracks poperly, this will affect the geometry & lead to further breakdown of the joint which will likely lead to joint siezure as the cage breaks up. The end result is fracture of the interconnecting shaft which will then flail around. It might sound more dramatic than it would be, since you wouldn't drive on a joint that worn. For £30 I would change it, and it does sound like it's the cv joint that's gone rather than the wheel bearing.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's easy to spot shot CV joints, usually the cause is the rubber gaiter slipping it's clip on one end and therefore emptying it's greasy load all over the road. They could also split, again emptying out everywhere.

Because of the corner turning noises I'd say this is most likely, the other option is a wheel bearing. Get the torch out, get on the floor and have a look at the gaiters and their condition. Look for leaks of grease on there, especxially at the ends, if they have let go they will have made a mess.

K
    What is it with steel wool? Is it steel? Or is it wool?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think it's a wheel bearing as the wheel is solid when I test it, i.e. no play when I shake the wheel. It makes the noise when I spin it tho and more so when it's on full lock. The offside is deffo making more noise.

I've also been to the local motor factors and I have to buy a drive shaft (they don't sell just the CV joint) for a Megane. Check with a garage and they said the same. It costs £57 each side

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

there not that bad to change just remember there's a circlip holding the cv in place so have some circlip pliers at hand
    undo the centre nut ( impact wrench comes in handy here ) undo bottom ball joint be carfull not to split the rubber on the ball joint when you pull it from the hub
    get somebody to hold the drive shaft into the gearbox so it doesnt leack it gear oil all over the floor
    take off the rubber boot ( best to buy a new one there only cheap ) remove the grease so you can see the circlip at the back of the cv joint and open the circlip the joint will fall off then reasemble in reverse order using the new grease you'll get with the new cv boot

job done

good luck.....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ERU View Post
    I don't think it's a wheel bearing as the wheel is solid when I test it, i.e. no play when I shake the wheel. It makes the noise when I spin it tho and more so when it's on full lock. The offside is deffo making more noise.

I've also been to the local motor factors and I have to buy a drive shaft (they don't sell just the CV joint) for a Megane. Check with a garage and they said the same. It costs £57 each side
    That's a pretty good price for a full driveshaft, although no-one wants to spend money like that. Out of interest what's the mileage of your megane?

Technicaly speaking, what you're experiencing from the driveshafts is called NVH - noise, vibration, harshness.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

57 quid isn't too bad really imo..

very easy job too. don't forget to buy gearbox oil, and be ready for the smell

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    Out of interest what's the mileage of your megane?

I'm going to have a crack at doing the offside CV joint on the weekend.