Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention New motorbike test is under fire

New motorbike test is under fire

The new test was introduced in April

The government is under pressure to rethink its new motorcycle test following a series of crashes in the first few weeks of its use. Some instructors blame a new "swerve test", which they say is dangerous - particularly in the wet.
    Bikers e-mailing BBC News said it could be difficult to safely achieve the 50km/h speed the manoeuvre required.
    The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) said the test was needed to help reduce deaths of motorcyclists on the roads.
    It said the test was designed by professionals in conjunction with the motorcycle industry and 300 trials were carried out before it was brought in.
    During the test, learners have to reach 50km/h (31.2mph), then perform a swerve, on special test centre tracks.
    A brake and swerve manoeuvre on a wet road is fraught with danger for even an experienced motorcyclist

Jeff Stone
    British Motorcyclists Federation

But some instructors say that if riders brake and swerve at the same time they are likely to come off, particularly in the wet.
    The new test was brought in at the end of April and in the first three and a half weeks there were 15 incidents during the exam, with at least one rider left with broken bones.
    The Motorcycle Action Group says it has warned the government that the test is unsafe and asked for changes.
    Its national chairman, Paul Turner, told the BBC News website the new test had been brought in without enough consultation or consideration for riders.
    "We don't mind improvements in the test which will make for better riders, but putting people at risk during the test is ludicrous."
    He said the new test had been very poorly implemented as many test centres were not ready, and the number of centres had been reduced from 200 to 60.
    I have been riding for 30 years and I would not want to do the test they have to do

Barry Kenward
    Instructor

Jeff Stone, of the British Motorcyclists Federation, said: "There is no real argument with the actual test, but the DSA really do have to take note of 'real world' conditions.
    "A brake and swerve manoeuvre on a wet road is fraught with danger for even an experienced motorcyclist, so there needs to be a safer option for inclement weather conditions."
    Mr Stone pointed out that car driving tests were postponed in snowy or icy conditions.
    "A motorcyclist's competency can be best judged in the dry," he said. "Wet conditions introduce a chance element that should not be part of the test."
    Unsafe acceleration?
    Phil Woolley, 28, of Liverpool, told the BBC News website that he recently failed his test after completing the swerve slightly below the required 50km/h.
    But the size of test centre sites made it difficult to reach the speed without accelerating unsafely, he said.
    "Do it at a controlled speed and you will almost certainly fail," he said. "Or you just floor it as hard as you can and there is a good chance you will pass, but also a risk you will come off."
    The hazard avoidance manoeuvre was the only part of the test he had failed, Mr Woolley said.
    "I know I can ride a bike, so it's frustrating," he said.
    Barry Kenward, deputy chairman of the Driving Instructors Democratic Union, has put in a Freedom of Information request to find out how many accidents have occurred on the test so far.
    He said: "In the dry the test is fine but the stopping distance is not enough for the stop to be carried out safely when it is wet.
    "I have been riding for 30 years and I would not want to do the test they have to do."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8067212.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New motorbike test is under fire

what a load of old cock - i have taken 15 students up for mod1 and have had 15 passes.

even in the wet, this AVOIDANCE exersise (not swerve) is very safe if taught right.

the rider must go through timing lights at 50kph/32mph then go round a cone that is 30cm off to one side then pull up with the front wheel spindle within a 1m square box 31m away.
    if the rider goes through the timing box at a slight angle and throttles off when he passes the yellow timing cones then starts to brake after the swerve cone, there is loads of room to casually brake.

the problems are coming from instructors not ensuring the students are only braking when the bike is upright and not measuring the speed accuratly- meaning the student now runs out of space and has to perform an emergency stop.

the other problem is people thinking they dont need any lessons because they are experts at riding then binning it because they actually dont have a frigging clue what they are doing

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    But some instructors say that if riders brake and swerve at the same time they are likely to come off, particularly in the wet.

you brake and swerve at any time and you will fall off, full stop!
    no one is asking anyone to brake AND swerve, its avoid a cone then brake - simple as!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

funny that I can brake whilst having my footpeg, knee slider and toe slider all decking out and I seem to stay on OK

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lighty View Post
    funny that I can brake whilst having my footpeg, knee slider and toe slider all decking out and I seem to stay on OK
    best you pop along to yamaha motogp team and show Rossi a thing or two

Thanks
    Karma Level

tell me about it, he's having a nightmare in these wet/dry races, and having his team mate finish in front of him consecutively has never happened the times may well be changing mate.Best I get him down to anglesey or the 3 sisters or dare I say it Darley Moor and show him what its like to race round a real gritty circuit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just thought I'd add my point of view as an idiot new rider who was skint so had no lessons after the CBT. Basically, hadn't seen the layout or manoeuvres of the Mod 1 except for the vids on the DVLA website. There's honestly nothing difficult about the swerve except getting up to speed on a worn out old 125.

I wasn't going fast enough first time around, but they give you one opportunity to redo it if that's what you screw up about it. For someone who's a fairly cautious rider, feels like you have to belt it round the bend before the last straight to stand a chance of getting up to speed, but the examiner's advice of aiming for 20kph out of there is spot on. Oh, and don't change up a gear as you come out of the bend, you lose needed acceleration time, lol.

Ofc, that's irrelevant if you're doing DA and have something which actually moves when you open the throttle.
    A friend on the subject of me becoming a Mistress, if neither Swedish Massage nor Web Design take off:
    "actually it kinda makes sense, you'll have learned all the appropriate anatomy from the Massage, and the neccessary distain for all human kind from having to support IE6"