Close

Thread: Sausage skins?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Sausage skins?

Does anyone know where to buy sausage skins?

My sister got a new toy, a kenwood major mixer with loads of gadgets includeing a mincer and sausage maker so she wants to play and I like the idea of makeing my own sausages. But we can't find anywheret hat sells skins either the real intestine jobs or the fake stuff so does anyone know where to buy them?

Thanks

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sausage skins?

Balls to slow.

On the subject though i used to work in a factory when i was about 18 making sausages and i'd ask a local butcher for some intestines as it's trickier than it looks and those artificial skins make it even harder because they are a bit brittle and if slightly overfilled will just burst when you twist them.
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 1st June 2009 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I eventually found a butcher who would let me buy some, I went round all the butchers in Walkden, Farnworth and Boltons market, Morrises in Farnworth make their own but wouldn't sell any and everyone else sends their meat away to be made in to sausages Everyone was going on about how expensive skins were. One guy in Bolton market told me about a butcher on Chorley old road who he used to work for who made them so I went up there and he sold me a length of real skin for about 50p enought to make about 2kg of sausages. Plenty to have a play with.

Well the first attempt tonight, about 1kg of meat half beef and half pork, a few slices of bread turned in to bread crumbs with the processor attachmant for the kenwood and some salt and pepper. The meat all went through the grinder attachement on the kenwood, and was then mixed with the other bits in the mixer with the K beater and an egg.

then the fun bit putting the sausage skin on the feeding tube its like a huge condom even bigger than the ones I use . then stuff all the meat mixture for the grinder thing with the sausage feed tube on and turned it on. I did video it in the hope of makeing £250 from You've been framed but it didnt work out. so here are some photos for you.

All squeezed in to the skin and ready to be twisted in to sausages

out of the grinder/sausage stuffer in to the pan

All the sausages twisted in to sausages they look like real sausages

And look even more like sausages when cooked

Ok so the recipe needs a little work but these were ultra lean sausages and tasted very meaty but were very edible, a bit of reading has told us we need to include a lot of fat in to sausages they recon about 30% needs to be fat I hope not but we will try it, I also think the ratio of beef to pork needs changeing to 66% pork to 33% beef as they are a little dry but I guess more fat will sort that out and bit more salt and pepper will be good.

The only problem is I was putting the skin from a bowl in to a sealable storeage tub and it ended up in the sink so I need to go buy some more.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Try doing a search for Butchers supplies in your area you should be able to buy sausage skins from them. They will also do flavourings as well!

Saturdays kitchen on itv a couple of weeks ago had Heston Bloomingheck making the perfect sausage. Bit extreme!!
    Rallying .... Because Football, Cricket and Golf only requires one ball.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have found a Heston sausage recipe it seems quite normal for him I will give it a try. Im not a huge fan of pork sausages I prefer pork and beef but will try anything.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The best place for info on this is the forums at www.sausagemaking.org

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/index.php

Fantastic place with loads of helpful members and tons of recipes and advice, well worth joining if you want to keep making more sausages and perfect them.

The main site also sell the skins (i bought some hog casings myself recently) and they also sell pre-mixed sausage seasonings to add to your meat to give them specific flavours, ie, lincolnshire, pork and apple etc etc, they have loads to choose from.

Done my own first batch a couple weeks back using some pork shoulder and their breakfast seasoning and they turned out spot on.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That looks pretty good mate.

River Cottage fame looms.