Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Freedom for Ronnie Biggs

Justice Secretary Jack Straw has granted Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs "compassionate release" from his prison sentence.
    Mr Straw said the decision was based on medical evidence that Biggs's condition had deteriorated and he was not expected to recover.
    Biggs, who turns 80 this weekend, is severely ill in hospital with pneumonia and doctors have said there is "not much hope".
    Last month the Justice Secretary rejected Biggs's application for parole on the grounds that the robber was "wholly unrepentant" about his crimes.
    Biggs was rushed to the Norwich and Norfolk Hospital from his cell at Norwich prison on Tuesday and will remain on bed watch overnight.
    The three Prison Service staff watching him will be withdrawn tomorrow, once the licence for his release is finalised.
    The decision means Biggs can celebrate his birthday on Saturday a free man. It will be 46 years to the day since the robbery.
    Biggs was a member of a 15-strong gang which attacked the Glasgow to London mail train at Ledburn, Buckinghamshire, in August 1963, and made off with £2.6 million in used banknotes.

Source - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090806/...n-dba1618.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Freedom for Ronnie Biggs

hmmm, thats 'justice' for ya

Thanks
    Karma Level

Joke!
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cunt shood die in prison he took part in a robbery where a man suffered serious injures and died a few months later.
    this cunt stuck two fingers up at the british system for over 30 years

justice hasnt been served.
    it makes me mad when that son of his is on tv making out his old man is seriously ill.

biggs only got his sons mother pregnant because of an extradion treaty woodnt allow him to be extradited if he fatherd a brazilian child.
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

What happens if he recovers then?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What is this turning into digital-daily-mail-forums ? The bloke is seriously ill & has been released on compassionate grounds, not pardoned. He returned voluntarily to Britain & jail and has since served 8 or 9 years in jail. He has been made an example of & that's it. The train driver died after being coshed & this was after a long period, 7 or 8 years later in 1970. If Biggs recovers this time then he's a free man, free to be pushed around in a wheelchair & fed by someone while pointing at things to communicate.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tbh, I don't really give a shit. However, I do remember reading another post on here which went along the lines of this.

If you knew you had to spend say 20 years locked up, I'm guessing most of us would defer it to our last 20 - get to live life in your prime, enjoy the money and set up a family, etc, then waste away for your final years, and if you are lucky, time it so you don't even serve the full stretch.

No-one who commits crime gets to defer their sentences in such a fashion, but he pulled it off. With that in mind, I can't see a reason for knocking a day of his sentence, regardless of any factual or even hypothetical circumstances I can think of.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    cunt shood die in prison he took part in a robbery where a man suffered serious injures and died a few months later.
    this cunt stuck two fingers up at the british system for over 30 years

justice hasnt been served.
    it makes me mad when that son of his is on tv making out his old man is seriously ill.

biggs only got his sons mother pregnant because of an extradion treaty woodnt allow him to be extradited if he fatherd a brazilian child.
    He gets ill, returns to the UK to ponce off the NHS for free treatment and then gets let off!

Is that justice? What message is this sending out.

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    He gets ill, returns to the UK to ponce off the NHS for free treatment and then gets let off!

Is that justice? What message is this sending out.

B
    Totally agree with this. The cunt helped steal today's equivalent of £38 million, which is fuck loads of money. He then spends 30 years living it up in the sun, effectively sticking two fingers up at our society, appearing in movies etc, clearly having a whale of a time, and then gets sick and comes back because we have the best, free, medical system there is. The cunt should have been welcomed back and thrown into solitary confinment with no fucking medical care at all.

I don't understand why people get so sentimental because someone is old. We hear of old people commiting crimes, getting asbos etc and people seem to find it funny, and want to let them off. Just because someone is old doesn't mean they're not complete cunts who are worthless pieces of trash, and Biggs falls into that category for me. Put him back in prison and let the cunt rot. And his son can go fuck off back to Brazil and stop leeching of our state too, as soon as Biggs dies his British citizenship should be revoked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am undecided where to stand. I agree with all the points above. But I don't want to sit too far right or left. I know he's a scumbag. But obviously very ill too.