Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Top tips for Orlando

We went last November. Absoloutely loved it! We got the 14day disney pass and also Orlando flex tickets which got us into Sea world, Bush gardens and Universal. Little tip dont leave your tickets on your tv or next to your mobile phone as our friends accidently wiped all the info of the magnetic strips on their Dineys passes, was a right pain in the hoop but managed to get it sorted in the end.
    Ponderosa or Sizzlers do great breakfasts and you'll usually get discount vouchers for both remember "all you can eat buffets" are not a challenge (reckon i put on about a stone and a half in 2 weeks). Red lobster, crab shack, kobe where all good restaurants, youll also find all you can eat buffet places on the nightime too but didnt think that much of the quality of food in them. Look out for shuttle launches, when we went in November there was a night time launch and we went to cocoa beach to watch it, was absoloutely AWESOME. You DO need to hire a car! Driving out there altho daunting at 1st is an absoloute piece of piss and so much more enjoyable than over here.
    We did the fireworks at Disney Epcot and Magical kingdom and can totally reccomend them.
    Probobally going to go out again next year as we felt that 2weeks probobally wasn't enough to see everything

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks to everyone so far, some great info.

When you book the park tickets online do they send tickets or do you simply get a reservation number to collect them from the parks?

This is my hire car choice so far, although I might extend the period -

http://www.netflights.com/Carhire/Qu...09-12-00&pax=2

I'm wondering if I'll need a car during the time we intend to be in the parks. The hotel has free transfers.
    Stu.... :-)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You can have them sent to you or you can pick them up from one of the local booking offices ! We stayed in private accomodation so we needed the car all the time. If the difference in hire is not much I would take the car for the whole duration. Are you on full board with the hotel you are staying at ?

You may get a good deal on an extra few days when you pick the car up !
    Last edited by flik; 2nd September 2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by RSV View Post
    remember "all you can eat buffets" are not a challenge
    Incorrect! You have to make sure you are getting your monies worth

Ponderossa, Sizzlers etc.... all fantastic for Breakfast. Coffee can be grim in them places but get in early enough and get to the parks early as said. This time of year you are looking at 4pm Electrical Storms every day! They will last for about an hour and then 30 mins later everywhere is dry as a bone!!

Sat Nav is not needed, the roads are all straight and you can't really go wrong, you can pick up a decent map anywhere for free. Just remember that you can turn Right at red lights if it is safe to go ,a rule they should bring over here (only it would be left turns here).

For the park - Island of Adventures! Just simply Awesome!!!

Don't forget to grab a load of Root Beer too
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

We are room only - On the advice of people who've been before.

The hotel offers free WiFi so I'll have my Macbook with me and have contemplated seeing what is to be had locally and if it's better buying online then doing it that way.

I'm not being tight I just don't want to get raped.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another tip (sorry if you have been to the USA before), the price you see in shops is NOT the price you pay. Sales Tax is added on at the til (excluding food I believe?). I think Florida is about 6%? This does not apply to online sales though.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by stu99 View Post
    We are room only - On the advice of people who've been before.

The hotel offers free WiFi so I'll have my Macbook with me and have contemplated seeing what is to be had locally and if it's better buying online then doing it that way.

I'm not being tight I just don't want to get raped.

If your room only I would deffo get car for the full duration so you can enjoy all the fantastic places to eat. Your Hotel food will probably be more costly as well than eating out. I would still take Sat Nav if you have it as there is so much to look at when just driving around !

Get your tickets online mate they are not cheaper over there !
    Last edited by flik; 2nd September 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Incorrect! You have to make sure you are getting your monies worth

Ponderossa, Sizzlers etc.... all fantastic for Breakfast. Coffee can be grim in them places but get in early enough and get to the parks early as said. This time of year you are looking at 4pm Electrical Storms every day! They will last for about an hour and then 30 mins later everywhere is dry as a bone!!
    Ah man, Poderosa. First year I went, it was absolutely brilliant. Went back and it's absolutely shite now and expensive compared to Golden Corral! I was really disappointed, loved the place. Go to Golden Corral for your buffet needs, you'll leave with your belt undone and wanting to chuck, it's quality The huge draw there for me is that their breakfast buffet has a chef who cooks eggs to order (and makes omlettes etc) and for dinner, steaks to order! Absolutely brilliant.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ah sorry regarding tickets, we usually use Undercover Tourist and have generally found them to be speedy with delivery and very good price wise!

http://www.undercovertourist.com/

This year we got the dining plan and fourteen day ultimate Disney tickets included with the hotel price!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This thread is making me so fuckin jealous I need an Ihop damnit

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ahh there's one I forgot, iHop's a fookin' must! It's absolutely brilliant in there and I really, really recommend their cinnamon swirl french toast with a brekkie, it's to die for!

When I was there last year, there was an English "lady". I swear it was David Walliams.

"Is your soup home made miss? If so, please tell him that the English "laydeee" thinks it's delicious and would love to have the recipe".

I wouldn't have minded if "she" actually was eating it but she had most of it in her 'tache for later..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by eripmav View Post
    Ah man, Poderosa. First year I went, it was absolutely brilliant. Went back and it's absolutely shite now and expensive compared to Golden Corral! I was really disappointed, loved the place. Go to Golden Corral for your buffet needs, you'll leave with your belt undone and wanting to chuck, it's quality The huge draw there for me is that their breakfast buffet has a chef who cooks eggs to order (and makes omlettes etc) and for dinner, steaks to order! Absolutely brilliant.
    First time I went to Ponderosa I made the mistake of thinking that the Cinnamon bread was 'eggy' bread... Not good after you have whacked sauce, bacon, eggs etc.. all over it lol.. Still woofed it all down though!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd check into what US customs might want to do to your macbook if you're thinking of taking it in terms of seaching your hard drive etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    First time I went to Ponderosa I made the mistake of thinking that the Cinnamon bread was 'eggy' bread... Not good after you have whacked sauce, bacon, eggs etc.. all over it lol.. Still woofed it all down though!!

soooo hungry lol $4 for all you can eat its the future!!!

the yanks do that mix the sweet with there bacon eggs Ect i love the yanks but thats plain weird lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassy34 View Post
    I'd check into what US customs might want to do to your macbook if you're thinking of taking it in terms of seaching your hard drive etc.

i packed my laptop in its bag in my case had no issues

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    . dont forget the hospitality areas in seaworld and busch gardens free beer.
    Not there anymore, these parks have been bought out by another company, who have closed the hospitality areas down. Very disapointed and thirsty by mid afternoon!!!
    This is why there will be new park tickets soon just for Busch, universal & wet & wild.
    Food cannot belive no one goes to Dennys for breakfast and Longhorn for steaks!
    Utd Road Take Me Home

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cantona View Post
    Not there anymore, these parks have been bought out by another company, who have closed the hospitality areas down. Very disapointed and thirsty by mid afternoon!!!
    This is why there will be new park tickets soon just for Busch, universal & wet & wild.
    Food cannot belive no one goes to Dennys for breakfast and Longhorn for steaks!

since when!! i was there only last year(june) and they was still doing it then?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by steve10574 View Post
    since when!! i was there only last year(june) and they was still doing it then?
    Yep same here went in June last year, had to go in August this year NO Free beer
    Utd Road Take Me Home

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well guys thanks for all the top tips so far.

We are 5 days in to our 2 weeks and as expected fooking knackered.

Got a car all sorted ok, bastards tried to rip me off with extra charges like fuel refill (oh don't worry about filling it up sir, return it as you wish and we'll bill you $89 - Yeah fcuking tempting loser!!) I booked the car through netflights.com who had quite a bit of good info posted when you make the booking regarding the extra's they'll try to charge you when you pick up and it assures you that what you've paid them is exactly what you need - everything is covered.

Had Breakfast at The Golden Corral 3 times now, excellent food and excellent vfm. Tried Sizzlers and it was shite, we walked out, but I have a feeling it may have been a rip off as when we tried to use a voucher they said oh that's not us it's another Sizzlers.

Paid the obligatory visit to Hooters, just to make sure the girls were ok of course

We bought a 7 Day Park Hopper for Epcot/Magic Kingdom/Animal Kingdom/Hollywood Studio's. We've done Epcot and Magic Kingdom so far. Just got back from Seaworld which was good, the new Coaster, Manta, is pretty good.

So far it's been really quiet which is nice as we've not really had to wait more than about 10 mins for a ride.

Next up is to do a decent Steak House and Lobster Feast.

Will be taking in Busch gardens soon and we are thinking of doing the Dolphins at Discovery Cove.

We're not thinking that stuff is cheap to buy here yet although we've not been to the Prime or Premium Malls, we have been to Florida and Festival Malls as well as Wal-Mart. Festival Mall has an awesome 'boys' shop, full of guns, boats, fishing gear and all sorts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good news Stu99 glad you are enjoying. Only 27 days till we go...

Keep and eye out for all of the coupon books and 2 for 1 vouchers and if you can send me a load i will send you some df dollars...!!!

Try Logan's Roadhouse for a steak. They have monkey nuts all over the place and you chuck the shells on the floor.

Last time we went i had a porter house steak which was a lift changing experience.

But watch out for the starters, because you get a salad between starter and main that is feckin MASSIVE...!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast