Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Cave dig unearths important finds

Cave dig unearths important finds

The dig is part of a study into why and when Neanderthals became extinct

Teeth and bones from late Ice Age animals, including hyenas, deer and woolly rhinos, have been discovered by archaeologists at a cave in Devon. The dig at Kents Cavern, Torquay, also unearthed a 15,000-year-old spearpoint, known as a "sagaie", which is made from reindeer antler from the same era.
    The spearpoint is thought to be the first complete one found in the UK.
    The dig, organised by the University of Durham and the University of Sheffield, is part of a study into Neanderthals.
    Improve understanding
    The team at the helm of the privately-funded dig is trying to discover exactly when and why Neanderthals became extinct.
    It is also hoping to discover when our own species first came to the UK and if it is connected to the death of Neanderthal Man, as well as finding out more about the nature of later Ice Age life in the cave.
    Some items found during the dig are sent away, after cleaning, for radiocarbon dating to accurately check their age.
    It is believed that the teeth and bones from the hyena could date back more than 25,000 years.

Teeth and bones from late Ice Age animals have been found in the cave

Dr Paul Pettitt, senior lecturer in archaeology at the University of Sheffield, said: "Our excavation is still in its early days but has already unearthed excellently-preserved fossils and a spearpoint of antler from the Ice Age.
    "Our research will dramatically improve our understanding of life between 10,000 and 50,000 years ago."
    Before the dig could go ahead, permission had to be sought from the government because Kents Cavern is the oldest recognisable human dwelling in Britain and is classed as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.
    The site has already played a key role in helping to unlock the secrets of the past - previous excavations there have revealed that humans have been on earth longer than the previously estimated time of 6,000 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8253091.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cave dig unearths important finds

I don't mean to be funny but why are these important finds.Who really cares that much about when things died out or how life was 50,000 years ago? what benefit does this actually give us other than a gang of archaeologists being able to have a conversation about it.

The sad twats who funded this could have given the money to cancer research and actually tried to save lives instead of examining why things died milleniums ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quite scarey to think we as a species have only been round a few thousand years in comparison to many others. I wonder how long we'll last.

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G. View Post
    I don't mean to be funny but why are these important finds.Who really cares that much about when things died out or how life was 50,000 years ago? what benefit does this actually give us other than a gang of archaeologists being able to have a conversation about it.

The sad twats who funded this could have given the money to cancer research and actually tried to save lives instead of examining why things died milleniums ago.
    If I believed 'cancer research' would lead to a cure I'd agree. But I don't, so I won't lol.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

History, mistakes, learn.

This is just on a different timescale to most.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    History, mistakes, learn.

This is just on a different timescale to most.
    In what way?

Maybe i am being ignorant as 4me2 says but i just don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read in a while.
    Instead of making just a basic statement of my ignorance could you not embelish it a little and maybe help me see the error of my ways and possibly i may agree that indeed i am/was ignorant with what i said.

Thanks
    Karma Level

In what way?

Maybe i am being ignorant as 4me2 says but i just don't see the point.

Instead of making just a basic statement of my ignorance could you not embelish it a little and maybe help me see the error of my ways and possibly i may agree that indeed i am/was ignorant with what i said.
    I'm not here to try to make a horse drink water from the trough, especially if the horse can't even see the significance of the trough. (Flat world society and all that.)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    I'm not here to try to make a horse drink water from the trough, especially if the horse can't even see the significance of the trough. (Flat world society and all that.)
    Fair enough you continue to believe it has masses of relevance and i'll just continue to believe it's a complete waste of time and money.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fair enough you continue to believe it has masses of relevance and i'll just continue to believe it's a complete waste of time and money.
    Well, I love Time Team so I'm happy with what they do lol.

An example of this sort of research and relevance to modern day is what we've found by spending time researching Easter Island.

As I say, my personal views on cancer cures and charities to achieve that are very sceptical to say the least.

Not having a dig mate ('scuse the pun lol), just view things differently I guess.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

i for one just find stuff like this interesting, i'm always watching history and nat geo on sky, altho i'm a bit of a snob and will only watch it in hdlol
    :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Article
    The team at the helm of the privately-funded dig is trying to discover exactly when and why Neanderthals became extinct.
    It's their money, let them do what they want with it. I'm sure it will be of more benefit to mankind than how load's of us spend our money on consoles/pc's/av kit/drink/drugs.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This is interesting and I think important to us. Through understanding how we were in the past, what we did and where we came from, we will eventually come closer to each other.

Discoveries like this fill in the gaps we may have about a certain era in human history. I'm sure we all have one or two things, or perhaps a photograph we hold on to and cherish. And if asked we could tell a long story about that item and it's meaning to us. The people who lived before us are not here to tell us these stories, so it's up to us to piece together their stories.

Just letting my imagination fly here and giving an extreme example. The Minoan Phaistos, it has never been deciphered, who knows what secrets it's hiding? maybe even the cure to cancer a knowledge that has obviously since been lost.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    It's their money, let them do what they want with it.
    I know it's privately funded hence me not going on one about it being publicly funded...if truth be told i don't really care it's just the "important finds" part that irks me as it's only really important to people who study that kind of stuff to the majority of us how and when neanderthal man became extinct is irrelevant and of no benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Over carl View Post
    I'm sure it will be of more benefit to mankind than how load's of us spend our money on consoles.
    I take it you've never seen a little cinematic gem called "THE LAST STARFIGHTER"
    Last edited by B.I.G.; 13th September 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    Well, I love Time Team so I'm happy with what they do lol.

An example of this sort of research and relevance to modern day is what we've found by spending time researching Easter Island.

As I say, my personal views on cancer cures and charities to achieve that are very sceptical to say the least.

Not having a dig mate ('scuse the pun lol), just view things differently I guess.
    Fair play i look on archaeology as more of a hobby kind of thing that people would do as oppossed to some thing we actually benefit from, it's like glorified stamp collecting in my view.

My views on cancer cures i am guessing is pretty much the same as yours although i believe a majority of cancer charities do so in good faith.

Thanks
    Karma Level

OT I know, but I had to reply to this post....

Quote Originally Posted by B.I.G.
    I take it you've never seen a little cinematic gem called "THE LAST STARFIGHTER"
    Seen The Last Starfighter? I've played it!! Have you come across this site yet?

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php