Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

News Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

This gold strip with a Biblical inscription is one of 1,500 items in the hoard

The UK's largest haul of Anglo-Saxon treasure has been discovered buried beneath a field in Staffordshire. Experts said the collection of 1,500 gold and silver pieces, which may date back to the 7th Century, was unparalleled in size.
    It has been declared treasure by South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh, meaning it belongs to the Crown.
    Terry Herbert, who found it on farmland using a metal detector, said it "was what metal detectorists dream of".
    It may take more than a year for it to be valued.

(It is) absolutely the equivalent of finding a new Lindisfarne Gospels or Book of Kells

Leslie Webster, British Museum

The collection contains about 5kg of gold and 2.5kg of silver, making it far bigger than the Sutton Hoo discovery in 1939 when 1.5kg of Anglo-Saxon gold was found near Woodbridge in Suffolk.
    Leslie Webster, former keeper at the British Museum's Department of Prehistory and Europe, said: "This is going to alter our perceptions of Anglo-Saxon England as radically, if not more so, as the Sutton Hoo discoveries.
    "(It is) absolutely the equivalent of finding a new Lindisfarne Gospels or Book of Kells."
    'Absolutely phenomenal'
    The Book of Kells and Lindisfarne Gospels are intricately illuminated manuscripts of the four New Testament Gospels dating from the 9th and 8th Centuries.
    Mr Herbert, 55, of Burntwood in Staffordshire, who has been metal detecting for 18 years, came across the hoard as he searched land belonging to a farmer friend in July. The exact location has not been disclosed.
    "I have this phrase that I say sometimes; 'spirits of yesteryear take me where the coins appear', but on that day I changed coins to gold," he said.
    The hoard is the largest Anglo-Saxon collection of gold found in the UK

"I don't know why I said it that day but I think somebody was listening and directed me to it.
    "This is what metal detectorists dream of, finding stuff like this. But the vast amount there is is just unbelievable."
    Duncan Slarke, finds liaison officer for Staffordshire, was the first professional to see the hoard which contains warfare paraphernalia, including sword pommel caps and hilt plates inlaid with precious stones.
    He said he was "virtually speechless" when he saw the items.
    "Nothing could have prepared me for that," he said.
    "I saw boxes full of gold, items exhibiting the very finest Anglo-Saxon workmanship.
    "This is absolutely phenomenal.
    "It is a hugely important find - the most important one that I have dealt with, but this has got to rank as one of the biggest in the country."
    'Truly remarkable'
    The collection is currently being kept in secure storage at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery but a selection of the items are to be displayed at the museum from Friday until 13 October.
    A Treasure Valuation Committee made up of independent experts will then value the find.

Hundreds of gold artefacts were discovered buried in the field

Dr Kevin Leahy, who has been cataloguing the find for the Portable Antiquities Scheme, said it was "a truly remarkable collection".
    "All the archaeologists who've worked with it have been awestruck," he added.
    "It's been actually quite scary working on this material to be in the presence of greatness."
    He said the most striking feature of the find was that it was almost totally weapon fittings with no feminine objects such as dress fittings, brooches or pendants.
    "Swords and sword fittings were very important in the Anglo-Saxon period," Dr Leahy added.
    "The Anglo-Saxon poem Beowulf describes after a battle a sword being stripped of its hilt fittings.
    "It looks like a collection of trophies, but it is impossible to say if the hoard was the spoils from a single battle or a long and highly successful military career.
    "We also cannot say who the original, or the final, owners were, who took it from them, why they buried it or when.
    "It will be debated for decades."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...re/8272058.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

must get my metal detector out then. Only used twice. found a few bullets and a sixpence!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Huge Anglo-Saxon gold hoard found

best ive found is a few gold celtic coins, but crops are down now so it detector season again
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”