Close

Thread: Inverness

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Inverness

I'm going to work in Inverness for a couple of weeks and i'm having to hotel it the whole time. Obviously i'm going to be bored out of my skull whilst im there. i have Sunday nights sorted as i'm training with the local hockey team.

Can someone reccommend some things to do, any entertainment that is on offer i'll take it up.

Whats to do, wheres to see?

GO!

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Inverness

LOL
    I remember when i worked there 20 odd years ago. First night we had a battle of the English against the klans. coming back to our digs and sum cnut came out and wanted a fight, so doing the right thing my brother took him on and was doing ok then i saw the eyes start appearing out of the woodwork. ohhh bless me i ended up in with stiches and a concusion. FUN and GAMES

Best night we had was the Country and weasten night over at the Golf Club. We all bet £20 quid they could get the ugliests bird. Well i didn`t win. but got pi$$ed. Apart from the work; nothing really good to see in Inverness Exept the loch where nessie was spotted. But i blame the copious amounts of fine scotch for that.

Prob better now

Thanks
    Karma Level

its not really changed m8 i have to go there 3 or 4 times a year for work, the last time i was there was a few months back, its still a shit hole filled with some of the most drunk people on the planet, and yeah I got 3 of them trying to goad me in to a fight -id been done for common assualt the weekend before so declined with a 'fcuk off' and one of them threw a glass at me, it missed and hit a barmaid the landlord went batshit crazy and pulled out a baseball bat, two of them went to hospital (one of them with an obviously broken knee the other holding his arm, the 3rd legged it)

if your going out on the piss m8 while your there watch your back

Thanks
    Karma Level

ha ha, fukkin hell. This sounds glorious. Theres only myself going up. Think i'll load the laptop with DVDs and barricade myself in for the fortnight

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno where you guys went but Inverness is one of the nicest place's to live in Britain and has trebled in size over the last 15 years.

I'm up there every month or so and I can tell you that about one third of the population is English, so all the anti-english crap is exactly that.....crap.

I know at least four of my ex work colleagues (all english) that have retired there over the last five years so it can't be that bad.

The only one draw back I would say is that it is expensive but not London-expensive.

I can't really help you in terms of what to do as I normally go for a meal and a quiet drink with relations. There's a few clubs but it's not exactly the west end. Buy yourself a fishing rod maybe.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

in fairness they werent having a go at me cos I'm english (i didnt think earlier when I posted the other post that it would be taken as they hated me cos im english) they had a go at me cos I cracked on to a woman who happened to be either engaged or married to one of them.

maybe saying its a shit hole was a little strong, its mostly like doncaster with different accents in my experience and i stand by some of them being the most drunk on the planet, which considering there isnt a lot to do after 6pm other than drink isnt suprising.

only other thing I'd say is if your driving up there your going to need to pay to go over the 4th road bridge (£2 i think) also fill up with fuel in either kinross or perth depending on the time, as alot of them shut early and you dont want to run out. and watch out for the speed cams they have loads
    Last edited by casio; 27th September 2009 at 10:49 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Firstly mate it's nothing like Doncaster. Inverness is a really beautiful place.

Secondly it's the Forth Road bridge and no you don't need to cross it.

Thirdly there are no toll roads/bridges in Scotland.

Casio are you sure it's inverness you've been to?
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

are you sure it's inverness you've been to?
    lol, your making me wonder, when i said it was like doncaster i knew what i meant , its rare that i have to stay over night i normally deliver one of the vans with the equipment, pick up another and drive it back. so other than the surrounding landscape on the journey (which i freely admit pisses all over donny) i see industrial estate and offices. which reminds me of the industrial estates in and around donny

true you dont have to cross the forth road bridge you can drive around, when i go it depends on where im setting off from (wigan or scunthorpe) i drive up and around musselburgh/edinbourgh then over the bridge and on to perth and inverness if you go the glasgow/dumblane way though you dodge the bridge (and the traffic)

the last time i went over the forth road bridge it cos me either £1 or £2 i cant honestly remember correctly, although I know I didnt have to pay to come back over it so unless theyre collecting for charity and didnt mention it i dont know what I paid for, although after being sat in traffic for the best part of an hour waiting to cross i'd have paid them £10 to speed thing's up (I'd say 9 times out of 10 I go the glasgow way)