Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Building regulations

A friend of mine has just had the front of his house replasterd. And today has had a letter from the local council to say Renovation of thermal elements and he needs building regulations and its going to cost him £142 for this.
    This permmision that you need for doing your house up will also apply to reroofing and floors to your house aswell.
    Another tax on the householders of britain

Mummy's little soldier I Black Belt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Building regulations

Quite right too. For most of us, a house is the most expensive thing we'll ever buy. It's also something that's usually worth more when you sell it than what you paid for it.
    So what's £142 ? - fuck all in a five year plan mate. Despite what people think, building regs officers know their stuff and won't take any bollocks from anyone when it comes to workmanship, so to me it's a good investment I'm afraid. It gives you a very good defence against the cowboys.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i totally disgaree with this. planning dept invloving themselves - maybe as he has changed the look of his house. but as for changing the thermal values and building reg people involving themselves, he can only have added to them. another fucking robbery of the general public by the government.

Thanks
    Karma Level

He aint changed the look of the house. he replasterd it as he had cavity wall insulation done and you could see all the drill holes so he replaterd it back to white dash. the £142 apllies to every job that you do that will change the thermal elements. so could run into a £1000 if you do 1 job at a time like front then rear then gabel end

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by I Black Belt View Post
    Quite right too. For most of us, a house is the most expensive thing we'll ever buy. It's also something that's usually worth more when you sell it than what you paid for it.
    So what's £142 ? - fuck all in a five year plan mate. Despite what people think, building regs officers know their stuff and won't take any bollocks from anyone when it comes to workmanship, so to me it's a good investment I'm afraid. It gives you a very good defence against the cowboys.

IMO.. Planning officers are another set of low IQ, work shy, over pambered, sick taking, work to rule, cant exist in a proper job, dont understand the needs or normal people, observer reading, council employees..

It makes me cringe to think that we leave so many important decissions to these council employees.. 70% or what councils do should be outsourced to the private sector so we get a better service based on competition and market forces. So we are not forced to follow decissions of people who make a career of treading water.

.... ah... erm... sorry.. off topic.. rant over.. yeah.. that charge is crazy...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnerfreak View Post
    . 70% or what councils do should be outsourced to the private sector so we get a better service based on competition and market forces.
    And the privatisation of other resources has worked so well for us hasn't it...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by I Black Belt View Post
    And the privatisation of other resources has worked so well for us hasn't it...

Yes........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ginnerfreak View Post
    Yes........
    - You genuinely believe that ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i work with building control every day and the reason without knowing the ins and outs of it. hes paying for an afterwork inspection! if he would have informed them before it would have been mininal also tell him to inform them when hes doing any more work and put it all in the one docket and it would be a one of payment!
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by B B Leo View Post
    i work with building control every day and the reason without knowing the ins and outs of it. hes paying for an afterwork inspection! if he would have informed them before it would have been mininal also tell him to inform them when hes doing any more work and put it all in the one docket and it would be a one of payment!
    He never knew that you needed it before the work started. According to the council they have started impilmenting it from september 1st work was started in august and the plasterer didnt even know about it. The council said they are in the prosses of sending letters out to all builders to inform them of it.