Close

Thread: Exercise bike

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Exercise bike

I'm looking at getting an exercise bike and they go for decent prices second-hand (bout 40 quid). Does anyone know what I should look out for, I'm happy to pay up to 100 if that's what it takes to make it decent. I don't need fancy extras but I do want it to be smooth and have good resistance. My basic reading suggests magnetic resistance control is a must? Cheers.

Found this one for £40 quid but can't find any reviews. Anyone got any comments? What difference does the weight of the flywheel make (this is 7kg)?
    http://www.jjbsports.com/content/sho...ferrerid=buyat
    Last edited by Kushty; 21st October 2009 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Exercise bike

Have you ever had anything like this before ?

Most people buy them and desert them again after two or three weeks,why because they are bloody boring mate.

In my personal experience cross trainers have been better for me, but it's all down to personal taste.

What are your goals ?

I've yet to see anyone who's doing weights sat on an exercise bike.

If you are overweight looking to burn fat then I'd definately use a cross trainer untill I had become disciplined enough to use a bike. What I mean by that is I see overweight people sat on training bikes all the time putting in very little effort and expecting miracles. Most don't even make the two week point before giving up.

Starting on a cross trainer gets you into the right frame of mind from the start because you are stood up and not sat on your arse.

Some harsh words but these are my experiences.

If you wish to go the cycling way then I'd advise to join a gym and do spinning.
    45 mins of intense training whilst you are amongst others certainly brings results.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

where do you live Cushty? I might be selling a top banana cross trainer, but you'd have to collect it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

To echo the above, a cross-trainer is the way to go. Far less boring, and less perceived effort as you can use loads of different muscle groups.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How much for the cross trainer out of intrest? I've no were to put it but was wondering how much they go for as I could put one in the cellar when i've finished the conversion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the replies. I want the bike for fitness as I am intending to play rugby again when I've sorted my rotator cuff injury (had it for over a year). I've lost 2 and a half stone in 3 months from a strict diet and various HIIT training first thing in the morning. Now I just need to maintain fitness and with the weather getting shit I want to do it inside and in front of a telly.

I actually fully agree with you both about cross trainers, I would prefer one but unfortunately my housemates would much prefer a bike and we only have enough room for one thing. I dare say they prefer a bike for the laziness reason you suggest 4me2 but what can I say, democracy's an arse!

I did actually find this cross-trainer for 60 quid online but the reviews suggest it is poor quality and will fall apart. To be honest, if it worked well for 3 months and fell apart I'd be more interested than if it was shoddy for 12.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kushty View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I want the bike for fitness as I am intending to play rugby again when I've sorted my rotator cuff injury (had it for over a year). I've lost 2 and a half stone in 3 months from a strict diet and various HIIT training first thing in the morning. Now I just need to maintain fitness and with the weather getting shit I want to do it inside and in front of a telly.

With your rotator cuff injury have you seen a physio? I damaged mine about a year ago and i completely forgot i'd even damaged it after a few sessions with a physio/acupuncturist, and some exercises which i did for a few months.

It might be down to the severity of the injury and i don't think myn was that bad, but it was a very noticable injury for a while.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is the one I have, or very similar...

I'd have to check the proper model number and what have you, but its only been used by me twice! I have no discipline!