Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Red Light Camera's

OK,

Saturday I was able to take the car out for a bit (after getting it back from the Police).
    There is a very good chance that I went through a set of lights with a Red Light Camera...

I was approaching as it was amber and probably could have stopped but it would have been a slam the brakes on moment. I was doing 40ish in a 40 zone, but after looking on the interweb I can see that the junction in question does in fact have a 'Traffic Light' camera..

My question is when do they take the photo... Is it as soon as it goes red? I think I already know the answer to this, but if I am passing as it goes red have I been caught?

That'll be £140 in fines (including a non motoring offence) this month alone if it is the case! from what I have read, there is no point in appealing one of these...

I guess it's a 14 day wait now...
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Red Light Camera's

AFAIK - each junction is set up according to a preset time to allow anyone crossing the white line at the exact second the lights go amber to clear the junction at an appropriate speed then the camera is activated - some sets of lights stay on amber slightly longer than it takes to clear the junction before going red so there are no hard and fast rules - but if you're in the "kill zone" when it goes red then the only thing that will prevent you getting done is if the camera has no film in it or has run out.

sure pepipoo or one of the other dedicated traffic type websites will have more info - good luck though - you might be one of the lucky 20000 or so folks that will avoid a fine because the letters got delayed by the postal strike - was an article in the Sun today suggesting that might be the case

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    OK,
    Saturday I was able to take the car out for a bit (after getting it back from the Police).
    There is a very good chance that I went through a set of lights with a Red Light Camera...
    Didn't you see a bright flash behind you ?

I was approaching as it was amber and probably could have stopped but it would have been a slam the brakes on moment. I was doing 40ish in a 40 zone
    The photo will have your exact speed on it, just incase you can't remember.

My question is when do they take the photo... Is it as soon as it goes red?
    My son got caught by one earlier this year. As far as I can remember when we sent for the photo, it had 2 images. One as he crossed the line and another about 1.5 seconds later. It had his speed, time the light had been on red and some other info.
    He was doing 17 mph in a 30 zone as he had slowed approaching the lights, and I think the second shot had him in the centre of the crossing 1.5 seconds later, so he was hardly racing to beat the lights.

I guess it's a 14 day wait now...
    Send for the photos if they do get in touch it wont cost you, and it won't help your defence either, but it's something to look back at and think ................ if only I'd just stopped
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers guys.

No flash at all as far as I can remember, I am still struggling to remember which out of two junctions it was... I know one of them does have a camera but I cannot for the life of me remember...

Oh well, I am sure time will tell. With all the other shite happening to me at the moment I don't think an extra fine and points will hurt...........

So, if I got caught speeding and jumped the red, is that a bigger fine? more points?

The joy....

Thanks
    Karma Level

A couple of months back I got flashed going through a red. Similarly I could have stopped but it would have been a 'firm' brake.

The lights flashed for me and within a second or so flashed again as an ambulance past me.

When I got the letter, I replied that I had continued through the lights so as not to block the ambulance.

Case dropped

(I expect the next photo on the camera was an ambulance at full tilt)
    Nil Illigimtus Carbarundum

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had similar problem near Kings Cross/Euston on the Marleybone Road.

I was in traffic at a junction with a Red Light Camera. I was forward enough in my car past the camera to not not see it, and a bus was in front blocking view of the light ahead. There was a box junction that I was on the edge of, and as soon as the bus cleared the junction I moved forward, just in time to see the light go from amber to red. The camera behind flashed twice a la gatso and that was that. I thought I was done.

Luckily nothing came in the post and so I got away with it. Even tho there wasn't much I could have done to avoid it, I would have accepted it as there's not much of a case to argue.

On a side note I know someone who pulled over a red light to allow an ambulance to pass and was then pulled by the police who were sitting a few cars back. Think they only got a warning, but you can imagine the chaos if you just sat there!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

So, if I got caught speeding and jumped the red, is that a bigger fine? more points?
    It would appear so, but I would think it depends how much over the limit you were travelling.

Traffic Light Cameras
    Gatsometer BV, manufacturer of the UK's Red Light Cameras, (named Gatso RLC 36) has been producing RLC's since 1966.

The RLC system is triggered by sensors or ground loops that are cut into road surface as a vehicle passes over them, while a red light is shown.

The Red Light Camera was originally used to measure red light offences. Nowadays the RLC can also be used in combination with speed measurement, similar to that of a Gatso Meter rear facing speed camera (radar type 24 technology) and can therefore also record the speed of the offending motorist as well. So you could end with a speeding offence as well as a traffic light offence, if you go through a red light camera!

http://www.ukspeedcameras.co.uk/guide.htm#Traffic

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pooo!

I did not see a flash.... It was a very grey day on Saturday Morning so I think I would have seen one if it had done so. I also do not remember seeing the camera... Again it could be one of two junctions, fingers crossed I am ok, but with my luck recently I very much doubt it!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pooo!

I did not see a flash....... as I was travelling so fast I had closed my eyes expecting to be hit by someone as I passed through the red light

Hopefully you'll not hear anything then.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The truth be told I was teaching some woman in a 1.2 Clio what a 2.0 Rear Wheel Sports car can do
    I was 17 again for a couple of minutes, then I realised it is probably costing me a fortune in Petrol so went back to been in my 30's lmfao !

If it costs £60 for the privilege then so be it! It coast me £80 last weekend for me to tell a copper what she was.... That was worth it too (at the time...), then I grew up again!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's not so much the cost, it's the bloody points that go with it. Red light, £60 + 3 points

Thanks
    Karma Level

The truth be told I was teaching some woman in a 1.2 Clio what a 2.0 Rear Wheel Sports car can do
    Struggle uphill in snow?!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

That it will... But my BMW never had the issue so I am confident that if I turn off the traction control I should be OK

Not many Snowy hills in London so I should be OK.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That it will... But my BMW never had the issue so I am confident that if I turn off the traction control I should be OK

Remember that when a woman in a 1.2 clio goes past you when your car is wheel spinning into a bollard next February.

Karma: Always bites you on the arse. Speaking from so much experience its scary! LOL.

Saying that maybe the Karma is, showing off at the lights and then get flashed. That seems a little quick tho. Karma can be very patient and very sneaky!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I remember when it snowed earlier this year, my mum's c180 was undriveable. She managed to get it to the end of the road at low speeds where the snow wasn't packed, but once we got on the main road where the snow had been packed the back end was everywhere except where you wanted it. After literally 100m I told my mum it was too dangerous and to go back home. Just trying turn round to go back I had to dig the back wheels out of snow 3 times.

Different cars take it better though - I remember when my old man had a 2.9 scorpio years ago, once we we turning right from stationary at a junction and we went over a patch of ice - wheels were spinning and car was going nowhere. I don't think my old man realised - he just pressed pedal harder and speedo went over 50 at one point while we were doing walking speed. However all the time the car felt absolutely composed and in place.

Thanks
    Karma Level

So to recap....
    Had a kerfuffle with the police - got arrested.
    At the same time a kerfuffle broke out next to your car (in a sepearte incident) and it was seized for evidence
    Then the car was dented while in posesson of the Rozzers
    Finally you get the Car back and you decide to race a 55bhp Clio and go through a red light camera?

Should I get popcorn in for next week?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by MsDG View Post
    So to recap....
    Had a kerfuffle with the police - got arrested.
    At the same time a kerfuffle broke out next to your car (in a sepearte incident) and it was seized for evidence
    Then the car was dented while in posesson of the Rozzers
    Finally you get the Car back and you decide to race a 55bhp Clio and go through a red light camera?

Should I get popcorn in for next week?
    Buhahahahaha... Thankfully things have settled down now.... It was a bad couple of weeks for me....

Because of the Postal Strike I have not received a ticket... yet.... Still expecting that to thump in my mail box.

The reason my road was closed off was because of the kerfuffle around my car. They would not let me home even though I could see my house (and the kerfuffle had ended). However they then let some other guy through, with an officer, to collect his car right outside my house!! I then asked why they could not take me home to which I was told to shut up as a serious incident had happened and they didn't care about me getting home.... Goldberg been drunk said a couple of things he should not have and the rest is history..

At 5:30am after leaving the Hotel PoliceCell I got home to find my car had gone! A quick call to the Police to report it stolen then resulted in them advising me they had taken it!

I just hope that's all the trouble I have now. I have not had any booze since as I promised my other half I would sort myself out.....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Struggle uphill in snow?!

DJ OD
    Front wheel drive cars are the ones to struggle uphill on slippery rads since the front wheels are unloaded. A properly driven, similar spec rear wheel drive will piss on a front wheel drive on an upslope, in fact in just about any conditions leaving aside all computer controlled toys.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    Front wheel drive cars are the ones to struggle uphill on slippery rads since the front wheels are unloaded. A properly driven, similar spec rear wheel drive will piss on a front wheel drive on an upslope, in fact in just about any conditions leaving aside all computer controlled toys.
    Only if you are going backwards mate!

On snow, ice and sand, rear-wheel drive loses its traction advantage to front or all-wheel drive vehicles which have greater weight on the driven wheels. Rear wheel drive cars with rear engine or mid engine configuration do not suffer from this, although fishtailing remains an issue.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-wh..._drive_layouts

I saw it last feb first hand. Kid in an old BMW, tinted windows, big exhaust, nice stereo and alloys, going round and round and not going up a hill in Wembley in the snow. Was a picture I can tell you. Then bang, barriers...

DJ OD

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    Only if you are going backwards mate!

On snow, ice and sand, rear-wheel drive loses its traction advantage to front or all-wheel drive vehicles which have greater weight on the driven wheels. Rear wheel drive cars with rear engine or mid engine configuration do not suffer from this, although fishtailing remains an issue.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear-wh..._drive_layouts

I saw it last feb first hand. Kid in an old BMW, tinted windows, big exhaust, nice stereo and alloys, going round and round and not going up a hill in Wembley in the snow. Was a picture I can tell you. Then bang, barriers...

DJ OD
    Of course, WIKIPEDIA!! the font of all knowledge!!
    I've been driving since 1970, taught driving (beginners, advanced and skid pan) through much of the 80s and raced a bit in the early 70s. Without any toys rear wheel drive is better uphill because the front wheels are unloaded, fact.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast