Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Mould caused by condensation?

Hiya
    I have just been IM chatting with a freind and she asked me if I could decorate her bedroom, Im an IT engineer where is the decorating thing comming from? anyway the reason for decorateing is that parts of the walls have gone black and clothes are going mouldy as well.

A few things to come from the conversation, the door is kept closed so the cats don't go in the bedroom, the house is warm so its perfect for breading mould no air movement and warm. I am guessing there are no trickle vents in the bedroom window and that the house has been cavilty insulated pretty much sealing everything in, im going to call round and check.

So I need to sort the air circulation out
    kill the mould
    then redecorate.

Can vents be fitted after double glazed units have been fitted or would it just be best and easier to knock a hole in the wall and fit some brick vents?

How to deal with the mould? is there somthing I can paint over it or do i need to use a steamer to kill it I guess if I just paint/paper over I will end up with the mould showing through again.

So any hints tips etc for when I go round later this week?

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Mould caused by condensation?

Once you have stripped the wallpaper off, wipe the mould with neat bleach. It will remove the mould quickly & cheaper than a mould killer. Leave to dry & its fine to decorate over. BUT you do need to determine the cause - maybe moisture from outside i.e broken downpipe / gutter etc. Most rooms arent airtight enough to cause this problem on its own, there will be moisture coming from somewhere.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Little John View Post
    Hiya
    I have just been IM chatting with a freind and she asked me if I could decorate her bedroom, Im an IT engineer where is the decorating thing coming from?
    Nudge Nudge, Wink Wink.... 'Decorating' it's called now is it!! Just make sure you don't go around when the 'Painters' are already in!

Sounds like one of the lamest attempts to get you into the bedroom, and your IT Engineering skills are making you blind to the advances

On a serious note however, I have a similar problem and I used bleach and even a bit of Cillit Bang on the mould. Not come back after painting over.. I would suggest sealing with PVA Glue before painting over.

It does sound like she maybe needs a dehumidifier in that room. It has certainly helped us and it is amazing how much moisture those things collect!!

Oh, and use Kitchen/Bathroom paint! It may cost a little extra but it will prevent the mould as best it can and also allow it to be cleaned much easier!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

There may be water ingress from a source such as rmj says, so wothwhile checking for blocked gutters, leaking down pipes etc. Does she dry clothes in the room / house over the radiators. Or is there a bathroom without an extractor, or tumble drier not vented properly?

As goldberg says, use bathroom kitchen paint after getting rid of the mould but an airvent should help.

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get rid of the cats so the door can be left open, easier than trying to retrofit trickle vents or airbricks. Leaves you more time to focus on the real reason for the visit

Thanks
    Karma Level

My brother had a problem with mould in his kitchen on one of the walls, it kept getting worse when it rained, turned out it was because of some holes n the cement in the outside brickwork. We filled these with expanding foam, on the inside he used a paint undercoat specially for mould, and then painted over it with the normal kitchen paint he used, so far it hasnt come back. Hope that maybe helps a bit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And yes I did think it was a euthenism, I didn't even know who I was speaking to untill she mentioned her partners name who is a freind so I aint going there.

Im going to pop round tomorrow or saturday and have a look and see if I can work it out why its happening, there is littl epoint decorating and not finding the casue of the problem.

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup: