Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Car insurance advice

i lent my dads car ,left it in a car park when i returned the car had a big dent in the wing
    someone left a note on the windscreen telling me the car reg of the person how done it and drove off ,the car park had cctv right on my car ,i passed the car reg on to the police they found the person how done it ,i received a letter off the police , that they sent this person a advice letter for failing to stop and thats about it but im left with my dads car still with a dented wing how do i get there insurance to repair my dads car when all i have is the reg of the car that drove off,i rang my insurance company but was told i have to contact the drivers insurance because i was only 3rd party and it wasnst my fault, advice needed thanks for you time

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: car insurance advice

I am no expert but i would have thought that if you reported it to your insurance then it is up to them to get in contact with other parties insurance and get your car repaired, i would be phoning the insurance company back and request a supervisor

Thanks
    Karma Level

Seeing as how it was your dads car tell him to get on to HIS insurers. I pressume when you say you only have 3rd party insurance you mean that is because you were driving someone else's vehicle with their consent, but you have your own insurance.
    As mentioned above your or your dads insurance company should be making the claim on your behalf, that's what you pay the buggers for. As for telling you to contact his insurance company, that is bull. How the hell are you supposed to know who he is insured with.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Start with this, http://www.askmid.com/askmidenquiry.aspx
    I ALWAYS have legal protection on my policy, if you are a named driver on your Dads policy ask him if he has legal protection.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

might struggle getting it done as it was in a car park not on a road car parks and bumps do go private land you will find a insurance company will say so you may have to fix it yourself hope not though
    there are two kind of people in this world those who are GEORDIES and those who would like to be a GEORDIE.......

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not likely on 3rd party, unless your dad has legal insurance, which I always go for as well.
    Also depends what your dad has himself, because if he has fully comp, he could claim - no-one was in the car at the time, so it essentially doesn't matter who claims.

From the reg. no, your dad's insurers will be able to find out who insures that care through the insurers database - it's not a toughy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by taxi View Post
    might struggle getting it done as it was in a car park not on a road car parks and bumps do go private land you will find a insurance company will say so you may have to fix it yourself hope not though

If this is true then it is fecking ridiculas, insurance companies are robbing b******** who will quickly take your money but find any reason not to pay out, when my car was stolen i had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get paid out (less than i owed on the car), not only that my excess was £500 (i was 18 at the time) yet if i had said my mum had parked the car prior to it gettin stole then the excess was only £50, i can see why i should pay high excess if i had crashed the car but the fact that is was parked and as secure as i could make it the standard excess should have applied.

RANT OVER

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, There are four things you really need to explain in more detail..

1) You mentioned CCTV... do you have access to the CCTV footage of the accident?

2) You also mentioned that someone left a note on the screen with the reg. Does this mean you have a independent witness (as in a name and address)?

3) You mention the police involvement... what exactly are they doing?

4) What is the estimated damage to your car... £100, £200, £500, £1000, more???

If you give these answers we will be in a far better position to give advice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

as MsDG stated above, that info will help.

The Police might be able to help with the insurance company, if not the I'd go and see a no win no fee accident assistance company, (www.national-accident-helpline.co.uk 0800 376 0150) they'll fleece the other persons insurance company but as long as you get what you want, that's the main thing.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Car insurance advice

thanks very much for your replies but after a couple of hours on the phone to my insurance company ,my dads insurance to no avail i was told because i was lending the car they couldnt help ,ive had enough, so i will just fix it myself
    1 cctv the police said they would check it you make sure the reg was right it must be right as the person would done it got a advice letter off the police for failing to stop
    2 the person who left the note left no name or address
    3 police give them a advice letter for failing to stop thats it
    4 damage to car needs new wing