Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Sky Installation

I'm a previous customer of Sky, but being lured back because my Mum is after Sky+ functionality.

I'm interested in running a cable up to my bedroom and a couple of other rooms possibly. Not another Sky box or multiroom, just for a freesat box I'm going to purchase later on down the line. Just wondering if the engineer that comes round will be happy to do it, if not for free then for some kind of fee? Also am I right in thinking I can ask him to fit an Octo LNB instead of a quad for a further fee?

The other question was about satellite reception on a PC. I've got one of the Acer Revo ION (with the dual core atom 330) nettops, would that have enough clout to be able to receive (and record) HD broadcasts using one of those DVBWorld S2 boxes? I want to set it up with MythTV in my bedroom so I can use the box as a recorder (hard drive space not an issue).

Finally anyone know what the best deal is for previous (not sure if new will apply to me) customers? Had one through the post which seems OK, but not sure if I'm missing something.

Thanks alot chaps!
    // Lassan

Awaiting Email Confirm masterbates69's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Sky Installation

*Bump*

Got installers coming round next week, and I'm in pretty much the same situation. Installing Sky+ downstairs, want to put my old standard box upstairs. If I tell them I'm interested in multi-room would that do the trick?

Thanks
    Karma Level

most installers i have dealt with are happy to stick up an octo lnb if you ask them nicely (providing they have a spare one in the van)

just be honest and tell him that your going to stick your current box upstairs, my old man did that and the installer even left him enough cable and a couple of f connectors.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I did the same thing and I had my Freesat box plugged in downstairs and told the engineer that Sky was going in the bedroom. He installed it were he was told and I swapped the boxes when he left. They have to install it were you want it installing as long as its a basic installation.

Tell them that you want the new box in the bedroom so you can record stuff and watch it in bed and you'll get the old box downstairs for the free channels.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not happy...

Tried doing it the honest (well, semi-honest!) way. Asked if he'd mind fitting an extra run of cable upstairs so I could put my old box up there. Said he didn't have time because he had too many jobs on. Wouldn't budge on it. Wish I'd been stroppy now and said well fit the thing upstairs then - but seeing as he took the old cable out anyway, I'm guessing he'd have done just that - fit it upstairs leaving me with no connection downstairs. Grr...

So.... what next? I asked if I could split the signal and run it that way, he said no. I'll probably fit another length of cable in the near future, but in the short term is there any harm in me disconnecting the second LNB connection and just using an extender to add more cable to that? I know it would mean I'd only have 1 tuner so wouldn't be able to watch one channel while recording another, but it is only a temporary measure anyway - any risk there?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by masterbates69 View Post
    Not happy...

Tried doing it the honest (well, semi-honest!) way. Asked if he'd mind fitting an extra run of cable upstairs so I could put my old box up there. Said he didn't have time because he had too many jobs on. Wouldn't budge on it. Wish I'd been stroppy now and said well fit the thing upstairs then - but seeing as he took the old cable out anyway, I'm guessing he'd have done just that - fit it upstairs leaving me with no connection downstairs. Grr...

So.... what next? I asked if I could split the signal and run it that way, he said no. I'll probably fit another length of cable in the near future, but in the short term is there any harm in me disconnecting the second LNB connection and just using an extender to add more cable to that? I know it would mean I'd only have 1 tuner so wouldn't be able to watch one channel while recording another, but it is only a temporary measure anyway - any risk there?
    Sounds like you had a right jobsworth there

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well annoyed, SiE.

Done a bit of reading: seems it's not as simple as I thought. If I disconnect the second feed it will pretty much disable recording completely - and make things very difficult for myself. Tempted to phone them up and say take the ****ing equipment back!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just run a new cable run up there from the lnb m8 its a piece of piss.

If youd told him you wanted it fitted upstairs then thats where he would have had to fit it, and he wouldnt have touched the other one.

You were advised earlier in the thread to take that stance to be fair m8!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    most installers i have dealt with are happy to stick up an octo lnb if you ask them nicely (providing they have a spare one in the van)

just be honest and tell him that your going to stick your current box upstairs, my old man did that and the installer even left him enough cable and a couple of f connectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    I did the same thing and I had my Freesat box plugged in downstairs and told the engineer that Sky was going in the bedroom. He installed it were he was told and I swapped the boxes when he left. They have to install it were you want it installing as long as its a basic installation.

Tell them that you want the new box in the bedroom so you can record stuff and watch it in bed and you'll get the old box downstairs for the free channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibb View Post
    Just run a new cable run up there from the lnb m8 its a piece of piss.

If youd told him you wanted it fitted upstairs then thats where he would have had to fit it, and he wouldnt have touched the other one.

You were advised earlier in the thread to take that stance to be fair m8!
    True, but I got contradictory advice and just went for the other option. Suppose I shouldn't moan, bit I just can't help myself sometimes!