Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default British F1 Saved - 17 year deal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8397777.stm

Silverstone signs 17-year deal for British Grand Prix

Silverstone will continue to host the British Grand Prix from 2010 onwards

Silverstone has agreed a 17-year deal to host the British Grand Prix from 2010, ensuring the prestigious race is not axed from the Formula 1 calendar. The Northamptonshire circuit stepped in to stage the event, which next year takes place on 11 July, after Donington Park was stripped of the rights.
    And the news ensures the oldest race on the F1 calendar retains its place.
    Under the new agreement, Silverstone, which hosted this year's British Grand Prix in July, will be redeveloped.
    The modernisation of the facilities at Silverstone, which first staged the British Grand Prix in 1948, will focus on rebuilding the pit lanes and paddock - with work due to start as soon as possible after Christmas.

606: DEBATE

Brilliant news. The British Grand Prix where it should be, SILVERSTONE, and for the next 17 years

saintmaggiore

"This announcement is tremendous news," said 1996 F1 world champion Damon Hill who is president of the British Racing Drivers Club president (BRDC), which owns Silverstone.
    "It's not easy to enter into an agreement of this magnitude. It's a big commitment.
    "But the BRDC felt we wanted this relationship to continue, and we were prepared to back the negotiating team, with the level of risk satisfactory for the deal to go ahead."
    F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone welcomed the deal: "This will ensure the British Grand Prix is included on the Formula 1 calendar for many years to come, which is something I've always wanted to happen.
    "The team at Silverstone already know how to organise a good event, and now everyone can look forward to next summer at Silverstone."
    The 2010 race calendar will be officially released on Wednesday when the Silverstone showpiece will be confirmed for Sunday 11 July - the same day as the 2010 World Cup final.
    Talks had been ongoing between Formula 1 management and Silverstone since Donington Park failed to show it had the necessary £135m funding.
    The main delay in establishing a deal appears to have been the length of the contract and the inclusion of a 7% annual escalation fee.
    Silverstone admitted it needed to improve its ageing facilities, but insisted it needed the security of a longer-term contract to justify and help raise the finances needed to upgrade.
    The contract on the table was believed to demand a £12m fee for 2010, with an increase of 7% per year after that, however it is now understood that the increase has been pegged at 5%.
    There is also a clause in the contract that allows either side to end the contract after 10 years.
    BBC F1 commentator Martin Brundle said: "It's brilliant news. I always assumed it would happen in the end because everyone wanted the same thing. The new circuits are exciting and interesting but they always had to balance up with the historic circuits, like Silverstone."
    Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips said: "We've always had five-year deals and never been able to get the investment we needed to redevelop.
    "But 17 years gives us the ability to invest and move forward.
    "We've always had the belief the British Grand Prix was an important cornerstone of Formula One but, with Bernie, you're never quite sure, at the end of the day, though, you have to have a British Grand Prix."
    Silverstone is also due to stage the British MotoGP in 2010 and the venue is planning to use that modified track layout for the grand prix if they can get FIA approval. If not, they will stick with the old circuit.

Nice 1
    Last edited by 4me2; 7th December 2009 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: British F1 Saved - 17 year deal

its took them long enough i was starting to worry that we were'nt going to be on the calendar next year

finally bernie's got something right, I blame that ducks arse of a haircut he's got for buggering up donnington, it must have got in his eyes or started growing inwards and messing with his head cos after the mess he and Simon Gillett have made of donnington they should be beaten by some of max's "non nazi themed" pr0stitutes with lumps of the donnington track till they were as mushy as over cooked peas

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wonder what will happen to Donnington now that they have ripped up the track?

17 year deal is massive as well. I always look forward to Silverstone

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well the Motogp is at silverstone next year also, so another kick in the teeth for donnington.
    Shame donnington has allways been one of my favourite bike tracks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

same here, its also had some cracking btcc races as well not to mention the btcc support races all of which cant race without a track and without any money coming in theyre not going to be able to replace the track it looks like donnington could be dead in the water.

although im looking forward to the motogp at silverstone, which now with the motogp, F1, Btcc and all its supporting races being there has now earned its name as the home of british motorsport

Thanks
    Karma Level

The good thing about this is I doubt very much old bum boy Bernie will still be around to see out the end of the contract.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    The good thing about this is I doubt very much old bum boy Bernie will still be around to see out the end of the contract.
    Me neither!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

dont tempt fate like that, saying something like that will mean were all sat here in 2026 wondering if bernie will take the british gp to rockingham or snetterton, or maybe donnnington (if theyve found the money to rebuild by then)