Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Help LED TV'S WORTH IT ?

Sorry if there is another post here, just wanted to know what you guys think about upgrading from a 42 pioneer plasma hd quite old has the tuner box still speakers are amazing tbh, just wanted to know what you guys thought of all the hype of led tv's and is it worth upgrading ?
    thanks in advance
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: LED TV'S WORTH IT ?

I was quite tempted by the samsung led's after seeing one in a shop. I even posted a thread up on df, but in the end I went back to my original plan - the pioneer krp-500a (the 5090 seems pretty sweet as well). Haven't really put it through it's paces so sorry can't detail the differences, but when I read up, everywhere agrees pioneer kuro is undisputed king at the moment, but they won't be using pioneer panels after this generation so it's the last chance to get the best of a good thing (until everyone else catches up in a few years).

Dunno if this is a big factor to you, but here pretty much everything is in normal definition, many programs significantly worse, and I was told LED may appear amazing in hd, but won't hold a candle to the pioneer in sd. When I looked, samsung led vs pioneer kuro looked similar league price wise.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read somewhere that Panasonic have bought Kuros so their future sets will start to feature the same technology?

Aren't LED TVs basically just LCD screens with different backlight technology - therefore they have the same flaws as LCD with high speed motion in terms of them not being entirely detailed with moving objects?

Have to admit I just recently picked up a bog standard Samsung LCD 40 inch B550 and I'm more than happy with it as I don't like all the high speed motion interpolation stuff the higher spec sets do as it looks weird to me - it was just over £500 which didn't seem too bad to be honest.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by reverend View Post
    I read somewhere that Panasonic have bought Kuros so their future sets will start to feature the same technology?
    That's the exact opposite of what was info was around when I got my telly recently. However it's not like I work for them so if you've read it recently (within last 3-4 months) you're more likely to be right. (Damn, I probably look a bit of twat in another thread now)

Aren't LED TVs basically just LCD screens with different backlight technology - therefore they have the same flaws as LCD with high speed motion in terms of them not being entirely detailed with moving objects?
    That's what I thought when I read up on the technology. I've got a mate who's kind of into av stuff and he was telling me about the led's before I had heard of one and was insistent that was the future of tv and how they are a lot better than normal tellys. I just nodded along and let it go in one ear and out the other until I actually saw one on demo in dixons of all places!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah mate it was in the last few weeks - http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php...&id=1257521076

As for the current LED range out you do get better blacks I think as it can turn off a section of lighting in a dark scene completely so the contrast levels go through the roof, did think a lot of what were classes as LED were just fancier LCDs though - will have to have a nosey next time I go in the shop - they are proper thin though that I do remember!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tbh, I thought the whole black level thing was overrated hot air till the pioneer landed so I didn't notice when looking at the samsung, but the picture was stunning, sharper than any I've remembered before. My mum whose 62, has poor eyesight and knows fa about av was asking me in the shop why that tv looked amazing/better than the rest. That one comment almost had me sold until others on df advised me it probably wasn't a level playing field - they probably had most of the other tellys on sd. Still was a seriously stunning picture.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah those Pioneer panels are the absolute nuts mate - I'd definitely love one of them!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Is there a led with wifi media streaming yet as reading your post's and having just had a little google looksee, that we can be not far off prob a different post tbh all this tec hurts my brain
    I STINK GET OVER IT !

Thanks
    Karma Level

OLED is the future:
    http://www.oled-display.net/oled-television

I remember seeing the technology when it was first developed. Maximum 1inch screens were capable of higher resolution than FullHD... Only lasted 10 hours though lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sony 11" OLED. Only £3300!!! http://www.johnlewis.com/230725482/P...x?source=14798

Give it a few years....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by greens117 View Post
    Is there a led with wifi media streaming yet as reading your post's and having just had a little google looksee, that we can be not far off prob a different post tbh all this tec hurts my brain
    There are a few with DLNA but it's not great yet from what I've read - some sets will also playback MKV files off the USB port but I'm not sure if any can handle files with DTS soundtracks. Still it's impressive they can playback 1080P MKV with DD out of the box though

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are a few with DLNA but it's not great yet from what I've read - some sets will also playback MKV files off the USB port but I'm not sure if any can handle files with DTS soundtracks. Still it's impressive they can playback 1080P MKV with DD out of the box though
    The problem you normally get though is that they can't read NTFS USB sticks so you're limited to a 4GB file size which chops 1080p files into a good few segments.

Bit of a pain really.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's one thing that's wank about the pioneer - has built in dlna with no bloody pause button

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's not led so not too relevant but I have a samsung series 6 & the handbook says it recognises file system in ntfs format as well as fat 16 & fat 32. It plays mkV though I don't have any to try with it I have watched a few films off a usb stick in standard definition & the media player is very slick
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

those samsung leds are super sharp. But if your anal like me you would notice the bad viewing angle. I also read 5090 pioneer is still king.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast View Post
    It's not led so not too relevant but I have a samsung series 6 & the handbook says it recognises file system in ntfs format as well as fat 16 & fat 32. It plays mkV though I don't have any to try with it I have watched a few films off a usb stick in standard definition & the media player is very slick
    What he said. MKV playback is very good on the Samsung. 1080p plays very well and it changes the framerate to 24p which helps things. It looks better than when I play the same film on my Revo which doesn't change the framerate. No DTS but you can convert to DD when you copy from your PC to USB drive.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi
    I was checking out the LED tv's this week and as my other LCD was LG I was checking out their offer, nearly bought one, then noticed something. Why spend all that extra £££ for a tv thats only 1.5 cm thick if all the plugs on back face directly on to wall, no point in being thin if u have to mount it 3 inches from wall or only use on stand - designed by idiots.? all the samsung ones have all the connections facing downward so no issues.
    cheers
    LS

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think we really need to talk techno bollocks for a moment here. Unless I am sadly mistaken...

a) Traditional LCD Tv's use LCD screens with ya Kitchen flourensent light as back lighting

b) LED TV's are also actually LCD tv's just with LED backlighting (sounds like a massive con at the price)

c) OLED - are totally different to LCD and LED TV's and have no backlighting. I have never seen one yet, but I am guessing these are the MOFO's to wait for.