Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Datel's answer to propietary GC format?

I have a little theory here...... Datel are gonna release a 'free region' CD to make all region GC games play on PAL system - now, seeing that the media format is licensed to Nintendo, and nintendo will no way in hell allow datel to release such a software on propietary format, does it mean that datel have found a way to boot some other dvd/cd format on gamecube ? Kinda like the Dreamcast situation.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

well its obvious datel have the pressing facilities at there disposal and they have found a way of making the cube discs, but I dont think nintendo will be to pleased about this, as this will more than likely be a way into constituting piracy, so I would expect some retaliation from ninty now.

kd

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rumour had it that it was Datel that found out about 'MIL-CD' working on Dreamcast and how to do it.... I bet that the Cube 'reads the data off the DVD outside to inside' is a stupid rumour, and, Datels Free Region thing for cube will answer at lot of questions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dunno about datel and MIL-CD and dreamcast, but I think its already known or thought the data is read from outside-in, therory though this disc would still be able to be read in a pc with right software, as if a certain software was available for these discs then sending the image file to the hard drive and burning it back would mean that it would be exactly the same as the original as the software would command the data to be read and written in exactly the same way as the original, so IMO I think that this could be another possible way around the cubes media storage.

kd

Thanks
    Karma Level

There is no need for the PC to read and burn the data backwards. If you can find some way of reading the discs then you could dump the content of the whole disc in an ISO image file, which can be burned onto a mini-dvd.

It matters not that the PC won't read or burn it backwards; the gmaecube will do that. The PC won't do anything with the info any way.
    "So right, so pure,
    so hoodedclaw"

Thanks
    Karma Level

The 'backwards reading' thing is just an old rumour that seems to be inherited from console to console. I remember they used to say the same things about the Dreamcast....

Thanks
    Karma Level

[QUOTE]
    The 'backwards reading' thing is just an old rumour that seems to be inherited from console to console. I remember they used to say the same things about the Dreamcast....

I wouldnt be to sure about that mind, I opened my cube the other day and placed in the game as i was watching the disc while playing it the laser seemed to hang onto the outer part of the disc and with very smal movements inwards toward the middle .
    however on first insertion of the game it seems as if the laser does a media check at the begining of the disc and hangs for about 3 seconds there before moving to the outer side of the game, this could be one of the reasons that when inserting a game disc into a dvd rom drive you only get the the first 44 bytes of data which is an audio file read by the dvd drive and then not being able to recognize the rest of the disc, so it could be that when the cube reads the first 44 bytes of the disc it could be a command to then say start reading from the outer part of the game.

But thats just one theory but i could well be wrong

kd
    Last edited by kingdong; 8th May 2002 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if thats the case, the only way to play backups would be some sort of an external drive - certainly its not going to be easy

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes an external drive would make good sense as this is the rumour going round that hong kong hackers have done to get around the problem because apparently there are silvers already doing the rounds in hong kong, dont know if theres any truth in this yet though.

kd

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

dual layered dvd movies read the second layer from the outside in.

arnt original xbox games the same exept they have no game info on the first layer?

the xbox boots the copies which are written inside to out and they work so why shouldnt the gamecube be the same.?
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv

ABCMan

cos the xbox is designed to boot the top layer first anyway the correct way around

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

datel didnt hack the dreamcast utopia did - datel disassembled the utopia boot disc for the information
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Mystical_2K
    datel didnt hack the dreamcast utopia did - datel disassembled the utopia boot disc for the information
    Utopia didn't hack the dreamcast.
    That "secret" was shown to Utopia by someone "on the inside".

You don't come across things like that by yourself.
    Which is why I don't believe the gamecube will be able to read these mini-dvdrs or whatever. The gamecube backup solution will be an add-on dvd drive I reckon (like the V64).

Obviously if someone does crack this mini-dvdr idea, I will be the first in the queue to reap the rewards.

The question is what are the developers doing to try out their beta copies and the like? They can't possibly be having a master copy made for each games-tester and for each stage of a games life.

They are either using a special gamecube that allows regular sized dvd-r/cd-r to run, this would be useful if someone could get hold of one. There could be a way to boot the games like there was with the dreamcast, in which case it is a matter of time before someone talks about it. Either way, I find it hard to believe that Nintendo are making master-copies for developers to test, it would cost too much money and reap £0 profit.
    "So right, so pure,
    so hoodedclaw"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Mystical_2K
    No, Datel was first, utopia used the action replay as an example on how to do bootable dc cds (weeks after the release of the AR)

ABCMan

datel made the mistake with a coverdisc of a beta ar for the dc utopia used that flaw to develop the bootdisc.

cube developers DO have custom cube units to test betas on, there is a gc unit that slots in between a devkit and a home gc i believe its called something like the gc nv or nb, its still bloody expensive and only available to developers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's called an NR reader - look like a normal cube but no ATI badge on the front, and a diff label underneath.

They are all sealed up with a label etc (like PS2s) so I wouldn't expect someone 'on the inside' to just open one up :/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

oops i was wrong about the Utopia boot disc - oh well
    You know he grew up as a little shitspark from the old shitflint and then he turned into a shitbonfire and driven by the winds of his monumental ignorance he turned into a raging shitfirestorm. If I get to be married to Barb I'll have total control of Sunnyvale and then I can unleash the shitnami tidal wave that will engulf Ricky and extinguish his shitflames forever. And with any luck he'll drown in the undershit of that wave. Shitwaves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by arrid
    They are all sealed up with a label etc (like PS2s) so I wouldn't expect someone 'on the inside' to just open one up :/
    Why not?
    Everyone is curious...
    "So right, so pure,
    so hoodedclaw"