Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 2G glass replacement

I've got my daughters old 2G Iphone here and whilst it works perfectly there is a crack in the middle from when she dropped it a good while back.

So I can either order the screen/digitiser from ebay for £68 and DIY , or send it off and have it fitted for £110 odds or buy the glass screen for about a tenner.

Ive watched the videos on youtube and it looks very fiddly, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has done it that way.
    I figure I will give it a try , If I fail then send it off for the repair so Id only be down a tenner if i send it away.

just wanted some feedback from anyone on here who has done it

thanks
    Last edited by pumpman; 13th December 2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 2G glass replacement

im pretty sure that it's impossible to fit just the glass (without digitizer) on a 2g, so you're going to need both.
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've not dismantled an iphone (yet) but ive changed the glass/digitizer on a 2nd gen ipod touch and it was pretty simple but its not for the fainthearted when i was halfway through i had one of them "what do i do now" moments when the instructions i was following were different to what I had infront of me but its not massively hard to do

have a look at this first to give you an idea if you think you can do it, also while your in there id change the battery as well the 2g iphones are getting on a bit and a new battery isnt going to hurt it's standby time im not brilliant at this stuff but I am too cheap to pay for repairs so if you get stuck and need help, giz a shout

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...al_photos.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

sorry to hijack thread.

Casio

if i was to replace a ipod touch 2nd gen screen would i just need this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-GEN-LCD-Sc...item2304519bdb

i just want to get rid of the scratches on the screen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

as long as the lcd underneath is ok that should be enough, just make sure you get the proper little plastic spatula things to open it and maybe some adhesive just incase the glue thats holding the screen on needs changing, i just heated the screen with a hair dryer and opened it with my fingernails after taking it apart then replaced it with the new screen and digitizer and heated it again and stuck it down. it worked fine but if i were to do it again id change the glue as well but thats only cos i thought it felt a little creaky after it cooled though it went away and has worked fine since

have you tried using some glass polish and a screen protector? if your changing the screen anyway it cant hurt and if its light scratches they could polish out then just whack a screen protector on and it'll feel as good as new

only thing id say to watch out for is the tiny ribbon cables inside theyre crazy small and can be hard to get back into place right, in the end i had to use some tweezers cos me fingers were too big and got in the way