Originally posted by Doc On www.worldxbox.co.uk

Well I have an Xbox fitted with a Modification device so earlier on today I changed the DVD-rom drive in the Xbox to see what would happen.

Drive used was a Pioneer DVD- 105SZ.
First of all I had to set the drive to Slave and since the original drives power connector is different I had to use a splitter cable for it to power the Pioneer drive, so I took the power from the Hard Drive connector then attached the IDE cable from the original Drive to the Pioneer.
Results were that the Xbox loaded all the cdr's I had that the original drive would not load, also the cdr games loaded much quicker due to it being a 40x reader and the dvdrs seemed a bit faster too hence the 16x DVD reader.
The only problems I had was that it did not load any original games and that the Power connector on the original drive must include the eject signal because when pressing the eject button on the Xbox the Pioneer didn't eject but the original Drive did, also when u inserted the backup you had to power the machine OFF and then back on to boot the game as when u pressed the eject on the Pioneer it ejected the disc but the game was still playing.

Here is a link to some media tested on an Xbox also I have managed to get the Vivastar Branded Cdrs to work without any problems. You can ether get em from Argos for a large amount of money or maybe try here

Lets hope someone makes a DVD-rom drive for the Xbox that runs any kind of media