Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Xbox `v` Playstation 2.

Hi,
    Just had xbox chipped and a 120 gig HD put in. After speaking to the man in te shop, he reckons that sony have shot themselves in the foot, by making the chipping of their consoles illegal. He reckons that people are now buying xboxes because they can still be modded. Microsoft are apparently losing $100 on each box they sell and they are willing to do this to try and gain more market share. Also the build quality on the xbox is much better than on the playstation. Apparently playstations break down at a ratio of 10 times more than the xbox

Regards Cain.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Xbox `v` Playstation 2.

Is it illeagal to mod a PS2 & not an Xbox?

I think most people would chip their consoles illeagal or not, so I doubt thats the reason the PS2 sales have slowed.

Maybe it's more to do with the fact they are more expensive to get chipped? Or just that the Xbox is just better?

I've got quite a few of the later games now struggle to play smoothly on my PS2, but they are a breeze on the Xbox.

I do agree with the comment about the cheap quality of the PS2 though, well shoddy.

Can't go wrong with the sturdy box!

Thanks
    Karma Level

In the UK all chipping is illegal... have a look on the legal section for more info.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CueballKrill
    In the UK all chipping is illegal... have a look on the legal section for more info.
    Find it hard to believe that chipping an Xbox that you own with a 100% legal cromwell BIOS loaded modchip to be illegal???

E~Mail Me @: wWw.Tribe2k@GMail.Com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 2meo
    Also the build quality on the xbox is much better than on the playstation. Apparently playstations break down at a ratio of 10 times more than the xbox

Regards Cain.
    that's true.. even the CapCom president commented on this earlier in the year, stating that PS2's are renowned for breaking down and hence owners having to buy new machines.. this results in Sony's PS2 sales figures increasing and this results in continued strong support from almost all developers..

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think most people would chip their consoles illeagal or not, so I doubt thats the reason the PS2 sales have slowed.
    Are you mad!!!! might be illegal but ps2 is kicking xbox's ass in the shops.. dont see any signs up saying "NO xbox's in stock!!"

you can buy an xbox in any shop..

ps2 is the way to go... :thumbs

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by daz73
    Are you mad!!!! might be illegal but ps2 is kicking xbox's ass in the shops.. dont see any signs up saying "NO xbox's in stock!!"

you can buy an xbox in any shop..

ps2 is the way to go... :thumbs

for someone who spends a lot of time on df you dont read too much do you? there is no shortage of ps2's, its just they are all in one place cos sony want idiots to THINK they are so popular and are hard to get hold of, the shops will be stuffed with them just before xmas and all those stupid enough to believe sony's crap about shortages will get their hands on one.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    for someone who spends a lot of time on df you dont read too much do you? there is no shortage of ps2's, its just they are all in one place cos sony want idiots to THINK they are so popular and are hard to get hold of, the shops will be stuffed with them just before xmas and all those stupid enough to believe sony's crap about shortages will get their hands on one.

EXACTLY!!!! well said that man
    TAR seems to be a decent bloke!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Re: Xbox `v` Playstation 2.

An X-BOX is for life ...................................not just for christmas :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

the ps2 doesnt come even close to the xbox for its functionality. xboxes are in fact cut down pcs and therefore can be moded as media centres thats why some people buy them for.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by spyke
    An X-BOX is for life ...................................not just for christmas :thumbs
    love that phrase :thumbs

Karma awarded.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by inoxx
    the ps2 doesnt come even close to the xbox for its functionality. xboxes are in fact cut down pcs and therefore can be moded as media centres thats why some people buy them for.
    Also very true and the components in them have all be put through thier paces in normal pcs and developed over years.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ABCman

I think there is a shortage on PS2's,

There was a news report on the BBC news website and on The registers website explaining that there was an oil tanker that had broken down on the Suez canal in the Egypt area, the ship holding Ps2's was 67th out of about 100 ships. Sony then decided to ship em in ( no pun intended ) Via helicopters.

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by kookachooo
    ABCman

I think there is a shortage on PS2's,

There was a news report on the BBC news website and on The registers website explaining that there was an oil tanker that had broken down on the Suez canal in the Egypt area, the ship holding Ps2's was 67th out of about 100 ships. Sony then decided to ship em in ( no pun intended ) Via helicopters.

hmmm ever thought they were liars?

every year there is a shortaage, every year they "manage" to ship enough in, the ps2's and pstwo's have been sat in a warehouse since mid november to create a false shortage so the press gets full of "you cant buy a ps2 anywhere" rumours.

you should of heard the sont pr guy squirming when interviewed on radio 5 the other day all was fine till the presenter said "but you do this every year, surely you dont expect people to believe it" they then opened the phonelines to dozens of callers who were all negative about sony's quality and its sales tactics, it was certainly not the kind of pr that sony wanted.

those who remember these things will also remember some of sony's other lies.

"a modchip allows you to make copies of games, but a sony burner doesn't"
    " the ps2 is not a console, its a computer"
    on finding out the law allows you to alter your computer...
    "the ps2 is not a computer, we lied, its a games console"
    "the psp will have a battery life comparable with other current handhelds"
    "there is a shortage of ps2's because they are so popular and we are having problems shipping more because < INSRT LAME EXCUSE HERE > but we assure our customers that we will have stocks in time for christmas"

its all the same, its all lies, its all sony, welcome to the third place.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently both Xbox and ps2 are now out of stock, so that ends the theory of the ps2 being more popular because its sold out!!

xbox rules!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

ABC man

Your making me out to be a fan of Sony lol.

Sony are liars I agree, In fact I couldnt agree with youy more. The story about the canal was on the BBC simply because it was holding up traffic, thats it, it was nothing to do with Sony realesing the story, it just happen to be that one of the ships carrying PS2's was in the middle of it. And as all good marketing teans do, they saw a marketing opertunity to make a bad senario good, And the end result from the pubic was hail Sony, they are doing all they can to help Joe Public to get their hands on PS2. I hate Sony as much as the next man because of their PS1 and PS2 but there marketing can not be faulted. I am a Sega man through and through and the Dreamcast is one of my favorite consoles, but when Sony anounced that PS2 would be able to show 66 million Pologons over DCs 3-6, that was the end of DC because retards believe in marketing hype.

To summerise. I hate Sony ( although they do make some good electrical goods-their own media center is amazing and puts anything out there that Microsoft has made equivelent to Fisher Price's My First Media Center)

I have PS2 as it was not that much powerful ( and some argue less powerful) than the DC

The story of PS2 shortages is true, not a Sony lie, they just turned teh story into something to their advantage.

ABCMan

Your making me out to be a fan of Sony lol.
    many apologies for that

The story of PS2 shortages is true, not a Sony lie, they just turned teh story into something to their advantage.

it would be true if they didnt have a warehouse with 285,000 pstwos and 140,000 ps2s in that they are refusing to ship out to retailers till nearer xmas to create these shortages, the tanker / helicoptor story doesnt ring true simply because ships arent fast and even if it got through when it ws supposed to it would still take 2 weeks to dock in the uk a little to close to xmas to be usefull maybe its their new years stock?, can you honestly imagie the cost of helicoptering / air freighting a container ship full of ps2's to the uk? you'd be paying £200 a piece for them

Thanks
    Karma Level

ABC man

Where did you get this info that there is a warehouse full of these machines?

Ships are slow but the ship would hjave been here 1st week in Dec if there wasnt the hold up. Sony was going to take surplus stock from Europe but ( ans I cant remember the exact reason ) there was some rule or law stating that they couldnt take stock that was intended for europe and re package with a UK plug, something like that anyway.

Anyway, who cares PS2 sucks a bit anyway. Bring back a Sega machine. oh and some decent marketing :0)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I just don't understand all this negativity and hatred against sony. have people forgotten all about the evil Micro$oft, Windows crashing/security vulnerabilities and the megalomaniac bill gates 'take over the world' , etc, etc.? I've never had any problems with sony products, whether it be my awesome 32" widescreen wega tv, playstation or the small sony dvd player I gave to my nan last year.

It's all about the games for me, and that is why I am happy and fortunate to own all of the most recent consoles.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would agree with the comment that it is the games that matter, In have both systems and cant really say i prefer one system over the other, I just use the one that has the games i want to play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast