(17:18:34) (+Cam) i need to mount my xbox hdd in linux
    (17:19:02) (+SpikeWork) youth of today, they'll mount anything

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cam

LOL ;-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well they say that everyone has a story to tell and yours is one that I would go out and buy!!!

As has already been commented, alot of food for thought. Some points I agree with and some I dont, but that is what makes for stimulating thought which is what I think you are aiming for the reader to do.

I think it is very interesting the link you make between religion and war. Religion being the cause of about 95% of wars in recorded history when on the whole most relgions preach against it = control of the masses.

Great post and you have my respect for airing it publicly.

P.S surprised you didnt mention anything on Alchemy when speaking of ancient secret societies....
    Last edited by Shotgunjim; 17th September 2003 at 09:29 AM.
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shotgunjim

Alchemy it is m8;-)
    Bare with me in this one please as it takes some time to dig deep into the waffling brain;-)...
    I'll put some (3) papers together and be back soon.

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow! ... too much for me to read in one sitting, but good/interesting nether the less.... you have covered so many different avenues and I think you probably would have covered more if you had time to. Have you got a webpage?

all the best man ;)¬~

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ffrr
    wow! ... too much for me to read in one sitting, but good/interesting nether the less.... you have covered so many different avenues and I think you probably would have covered more if you had time to. Have you got a webpage?

all the best man ¬~
    Thanks for the input m8;-)
    No I don't have a web page, wish I did though.
    Wish I knew how to make one;-)
    And all the best to you too

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry, too much to read, might get around to it someday.

Anyway, here's my waffle.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gr8 post Gadgetman.

I've now reached an age where I feel my own mortality needs confronting and I've began to examine questions about life, the meaning of why we are here, the cosmos and our place in the scheme of things.

I have read various books about cosmology etc over the past few months to try and get a perspective of the scientific view of our place in the universe and how and why we came to be here. The overwelming facts are that although we have a certain amount of knowledge about the physical world around us, we still have no real understanding of the cosmos or why things are as they are. Probably the most disturbing thing I have learnt is that the quantum world is probably where all the answers lie and we understand very little about things at a sub-atomic level. For instance, scientists have performed experiemnts where a photon has existed in 2 places at the same time, and they cannot explain why. Also, they have also discovered that pairs of photons have some kind of incredible connection, when they are split up and seperated by even great distances, changes made to one of the particles is mirrored in the other. Again scientists have no idea why.

The holy grail of sceince as I've understood from these books is a grand unified theory that brings the macro world of general relativity and micro world of quantum physics together, but we are nowhere near close to that happening anytime soon. Some sceptics believe that maybe the human mind will never fathom the true nature of the cosmos. We exist in 3 physical dimensions and it is nearly impossible to contemplate a 4th physical dimension, but with some of the latest developments in quantum theory the suggestion is there could be more than 20 physical dimensions.

When I started out reading these books on cosmology I was looking for answers, mostly to learn more about the physical world we live in, the question of our existance and our place in the universe, but the more I read the more questions it created rather than answered. But one thing is clear, we know very little about our cosmic habitat and why we exist at all, if you believe some of what the scientists say then we shouldn't really be here at all because the odd's of it happening accidentally are so small as to make you think maybe there is an all-mighty creator.

Heres a list of books I've recently read if anyone is interested in knowing about the things we don't know.

A Brief History Of Time - Stephen Hawking
    The Universe Next Door - Martin Chown
    The Magic Furnace - Martin Chown
    Our Cosmic Habitat - Martin Rees
    Just Six Numbers - Martin Rees
    The Universe That Discovered Itself - John D. Barrow

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    But one thing is clear, we know very little about our cosmic habitat and why we exist at all, if you believe some of what the scientists say then we shouldn't really be here at all because the odd's of it happening accidentally are so small as to make you think maybe there is an all-mighty creator.
    I have read article that kind of goes in the opposite direction from that theory.

It was saying how the diamter of earth is so optimum that if it was bigger it would collapse upon its self, if it was smaller we would be too far from the sun to support life, etc.... etc... basically saying that the chances of the all the different elements and dimensions of the planet existing all at the same time has a probabilty of whatever, something really small. like 1 in 100000000000000 or something daft, but the things that makes it go in the opposite direction, was it saying that basically there are so many stars out there, and all the others in other solar systems and galaxys that we cant reach or see, that basically the chances of there not being one or more planets of our circumstances is very remote.
    The article was pro other planets having life, basically saying we cannot be the only ones.

Food for thought?

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are so many reasons why we shouldn't be here, and the odds are much bigger than you suggested, if the force of gravity was only a fraction stronger the universe would never had expanded after the big bang, if it had been a fraction weaker then the clouds of particles that came together to form our solar system and every planet and star in the universe would never have formed and the universe would be a massive void.

Then of course once the earth came to be formed, it ends up in the perfect orbit around a star that isn't too big that it won't burn up its fuel too quickly and turn into a red giant. In this orbit the earth finds that is exactly the right distance for liquid water to form on the surface, thus creating primitive organisms that produce oxygen to create the atmoshpere we have today. Not only that but we also become the only planet in the solar system that has plate tectonics, without plate tectonics the volcanoes would never pump carbon dioxide into the atmosphere which helps to keep the planet warm and hospitable, and underwater sea vents would never have been and this is probably where the first signs of life on earth were formed.

A good read is 'Just 6 Numbers' by Martin Rees as it explains in detail just how small the chance is that we ever came into being.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    There are so many reasons why we shouldn't be here, and the odds are much bigger than you suggested, if the force of gravity was only a fraction stronger the universe would never had expanded after the big bang, if it had been a fraction weaker then the clouds of particles that came together to form our solar system and every planet and star in the universe would never have formed and the universe would be a massive void.

Then of course once the earth came to be formed, it ends up in the perfect orbit around a star that isn't too big that it won't burn up its fuel too quickly and turn into a red giant. In this orbit the earth finds that is exactly the right distance for liquid water to form on the surface, thus creating primitive organisms that produce oxygen to create the atmoshpere we have today. Not only that but we also become the only planet in the solar system that has plate tectonics, without plate tectonics the volcanoes would never pump carbon dioxide into the atmosphere which helps to keep the planet warm and hospitable, and underwater sea vents would never have been and this is probably where the first signs of life on earth were formed.

Read the book, Just 6 Numbers by Martin Rees as it explains in details just how small the chance is that we ever came into being.
    Yes, thats all the stats I read and tried (and failed) to describe in my last post, but when you apply that theory to every star the law of averages basically you are bound to get that happening, more than once.
    Thats what I read anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Who knows m8, like you say, with more stars out there than there are grains of the sand on this planet then it seems likely to us that we aren't on a unique planet and that many more should harbor some kind of life. When I first started reading these books on cosmology etc., which are all written by scientists as opposed to philosophers or religious nuts, I expected to have my non-belief in a god confirmed and that still stands but it has opened to my mind to the idea that there might have been a creator of some kind who engineered the right conditions for life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep its a possibility mate, but then again, if theres are more stars than grains of sand on earth, then it could just be down to chance.
    If it was engineered like this, what are all the other planets and stars there for?
    Failed attempts?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob2002
    yep its a possibility mate, but then again, if theres are more stars than grains of sand on earth, then it could just be down to chance.
    If it was engineered like this, what are all the other planets and stars there for?
    Failed attempts?
    No, when I said that I was open to the idea of a creator, I mean of the whole universe from the big bang, not engineering every individual star and planet, if there are failed attempts then I imagine it to be other universes which are just massive voids due to the non-forming of stars and solar systems etc. or universes that snapped back into a singularity because the energy created at the big bang didn't have enough force to keep the universe expanding.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The way i see it is a bit bizarre.
    Its almost like taking a magnifying glass to microscipic bateria.
    If you zoom away from our planet and our solar system and the universe, we could just be bacteria in a pile of old food on "some bigger being's" planet and 1 minute of time to them is like 100 million years to us.
    Obviously not that literally but that kind of concept.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi m8 and yes i back you all the way and if when it does happen a lot of people will be shocked

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12