Close

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default sleep paralyzation

Anyone ever have sleep paralyzation happen to them?

It happens to me often . Its were Im supposedly asleep yet fully aware of whats going on around me and I cant move my body. Its actually scarey as sometimes Im left in this state for ages . I found out how to escape from it by shaking my head left and rigth till I wake up. I found this by telling some guy once about my sleep paralyzation and he told me that some peoples bodys kinda switch off during sleep but the brain is kinda left in standby mode . I used to read a magazine called X Factor which one day made a request for people that suffer from this and I contacted the professor , Its a lot more common than I thought.

Any one suffer from this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds exactly like Narcolepsy. It has been treated with Amphetamine. It can also be brought on by the withdrawal process from Amphetamine - amongst other things. It's a symptom of more than one thing though.

Some research has shown (in some cases) that it seems to be caused by the brain trying to enter into REM sleep too quickly.

It is often medically harmless but in a small amount of cases it does have other, more concerning implications.
    Last edited by tef89; 27th June 2002 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hi folks

yes had this hundreds of times, I have found it seems to happen when I'm returning from out of body experience (OBE).
    I also get it if I feel a negative entity around my body or if its over my body while asleep.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Taken From:-

http://www-med.stanford.edu/school/P...ry/narcolepsy/

"In sleep paralysis, a frightening symptom considered to be an abnormal episode of REM sleep atonia, the patient suddenly finds himself unable to move for a few minutes, most often upon falling asleep or waking up. During hypnagogic hallucinations, patients experience dream-like auditory or visual hallucinations, while dozing or falling asleep"

Sound familiar Fett ? It does to me, cos I've had it periodically for 10 years - and I know exactly why aswell
    Last edited by tef89; 27th June 2002 at 09:00 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the responses guys .

Id say this has been happening to me since I was say 4 , so its been on and off for 20 years now.
    At one point rather than being scared I tried to relax myself after about 20 minutes of this it seemed like there was electrical pulses about a mile high just flying past me.

Sound familiar Fett ? It does to me, cos I've had it periodically for 10 years - and I know exactly why aswell
    tef89 why exactly?

Thanks
    Karma Level

You get like an electrical pulse shooting through your head and you feel like you're falling. I get it through, ahem, lack of sleep

I get the auditory hallucinations aswell, for me it's related to my recreational activities, and how tired I feel afterwards.

tef

Thanks
    Karma Level

A mate of mine has narcolepsy and cataplexy. If she laughs too much or gets over emotional thte loses motor control and hit the floor and goes straight to sleep. - thats the cataplexy

The sleep paralysis she gets from narcolespy gives her really bad nightmares. Its more like being on a really big dose of acid she reckons.

Sleep paralysis can happen to anyone it just takes the body a little while longer to wake up. Try making the most of this state as a lot of people spend years trying to reach this state to aid in astral projection.

]Lost

Thanks
    Karma Level

I must admit Lost, when you're used to it you can play with the auditory hallucinations

My friend, ahem, didn't think it was much like acid though, more like having my, sorry, their head hooked up to the mains supply.

I am getting a bit concerned tho because I got it last week for no reason which has never happened before.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got this last night - accompanied with a load of nightmares. I don't usually dream much, but there was some serious REM activity going on and at one point I woke up and heard some creaking floorboards downstairs. Probably just the boards contracting, but thought I'd better check it out anyway - and found I couldn't move...

I felt pretty vunerable, but not overly concerned as I was really tired. Could be withdrawal related... I gave up smoking two weeks ago after 15 years.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Auditory hallucinations are really common with Narcolepsy Kudos, it's thought that it's the brain over compensating for the lack of sensory information.

I've not read that it can be triggered by nicotine withdrawal but lack of rem sleep is certainly heavily implicated in causing the problem
    Last edited by tef89; 26th August 2002 at 09:18 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Give this a try, some interesting links here also.

sleepdisorders.about.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

No Way! I dont believe this thread!
    I have had this for as long as I can remember, I had it 3 times on the trot in one night once and thought fuk it! and got up at 4 am and watched TV til it was time to go to work cause there was no way I was going to try going to sleep again that night! But over the years I have learnt to control it or should I say live with it, my Mums Auntie had very bad narcolepsy and used to fall asleep eating, walking everything, I have fell asleep walking/talking and standing on occasions but only when very tired (working through the night etc) never eating though, but not sure if it can be hereditary or just coincidence?
    Anyway, when I was a kid my parents have even had the docs in cause of my hallucinogenic dreams, I would wake up screaming etc but they have pretty much calmed down as I got older now although I do remember most of my dreams very clearly (as weird as they are) and do know I am sleeping a lot of the time and have taken control of my dreams and done pretty much whatever I wanted. This can be really cool at the time as it feels no different than actually doing something in real life (or someone if you know what I mean) but it always seems to fade off somewhere when I forget its a dream, I have even killed people on purpose within a dream to see what it felt like, tried flying (like superman, not in a plane), jumped off buildings etc etc, pretty much most of the things that you may wonder about but done them without consequence.
    On holiday a couple of weeks ago I was having this Sleep paralysis (never knew it was called that, my cousin also has the same thing but didnt realise it was this common til I read this thread), and it was the first time I have ever realised I was in a dream while having it and I managed to calm myself down at first (usually I am trying to thrash myself awake or trying to bang my head on the wall/headboard, although in reality I am not moving at all, or very little) although the calmness only lasted for a while and I screamed four times then my girlfriend decided to wake my up as I was shouting "its real" as at the time I was convinced we were all in the Matrix and the sleep paralysis was the effect of me realising that the matrix wasnt real and my body was rejecting me out of it! Hence shouting “Its Real” Work that one out.
    Anyway, after reading all of that back to myself it sounds like I am on drugs, but I am not, never tried anything un natural so there’s no Acid floating round in my spinal column making this kinds sh1t happen, so ???? what does it all mean? I don’t think it has anything to do with anything supernatural or UFOs or anything, I think its more likely to have something to do with only using a max of about 15% of our brain, and maybe this is when we try to access the other bits? I don’t believe that dreams mean anything (like dream of a baby means a death. And vice versa) I think its just thinking when you are asleep, like “Mind Doodling” although I was told by this indonesian guy that this kind of thing is the body's way of telling you that when you are asleep you shouldn't realise or know that you are, its not allowed?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just found this that may sound familiar to some people....

SYMPTOMS

The main symptoms of narcolepsy are excessive daytime sleepiness and abnormal REM sleep: Narcolepsy is not only a serious and common medical problem, it also offers basic sleep researchers a unique opportunity to gather new information on the central mechanisms regulating REM sleep and alertness. Since the 1960s it has been known that several of the disabling symptoms of narcolepsy, such as sleep paralysis, cataplexy and hypnagogic hallucinations, are pathological equivalents of REM sleep. In sleep paralysis, a frightening symptom considered to be an abnormal episode of REM sleep atonia, the patient suddenly finds himself unable to move for a few minutes, most often upon falling asleep or waking up. During hypnagogic hallucinations, patients experience dream-like auditory or visual hallucinations, while dozing or falling asleep. Cataplexy, a pathological equivalent of REM sleep atonia unique to narcolepsy, is a striking, sudden episode of muscle weakness triggered by emotions. Typically, the patient's knees buckle and may give way upon laughing, elation, surprise or anger. In other typical cataplectic attacks the head may drop or the jaw may become slack. In severe cases, the patient might fall down and become completely paralyzed for a few seconds to several minutes. Reflexes are abolished during the attack.

Taken from http://www.med.stanford.edu/school/P.../symptoms.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I said at first Morph my experiences with narcolepsy have always been self induced so I have never really felt threatened by it (afterwards), but it sounds in your case it's really a major thing the have to deal with

Only ever really experienced the cataplexy element once at work where I nearly fell into a river at the back of the site

From what I read over the years I think it's the cause of the narcolepsy that makes it more serious - along with the obvious disabilitating nature of the cataplexy.

tef
    Last edited by tef89; 26th August 2002 at 10:28 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by tef89
    Sounds exactly like Narcolepsy. It has been treated with Amphetamine. It can also be brought on by the withdrawal process from Amphetamine - amongst other things. It's a symptom of more than one thing though.

Some research has shown (in some cases) that it seems to be caused by the brain trying to enter into REM sleep too quickly.

It is often medically harmless but in a small amount of cases it does have other, more concerning implications.
    Cheers m8 i get this often mmm when i been out all night with friends and used a little bit of amphetamine usually get this in the week that follows....but i have had this condition for a while
    especially since packing up smoking too so could be nicotine related as well

Thanks
    Karma Level

That's why I used to get it Shady - about 2-3 days after an all-nighter I'd get it for a week or so.

It's seems to be the brain attempting to drop into REM sleep too quickly which then causes the hallucinations etc.

I searched for information on it for ages - found loads of data saying it can be treated with Amphetamine but very little showing it can also be induced by withdrawal from it.

Narcolepsy seems a lot more common than we think - people just don't tend to talk about it I think

Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont think drugs is the answer to be honest although I quit smoking 5 weeks ago now so that does tie in that it has started again, but the dreams are no more real or less/more frequent so I am inclined to think that the lack of nicotine hasnt played a part. I would keep away from fets though, never a good idea to get "hooked" on anything, even nicotine!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sleep paralyzation i've had this twice, But then i was renting a room a old house at the time two nights on the run i had this happen, And the feeling some one was watching me it was very scary i felt some one was controling my whole body, First night i said to my self was a dream of some sort, But the second night NO WAY i could'nt control it a real force holding me there, That was a couple yrs ago, And i've never had any thing happen like that again i dont want to either.
    I've never told any one to this day about it.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mines definately not down to me taking drugs etc as its been happening to me since I was a kid. It was more terrifying as a kid as id probably be stuck for hours till my mum come and suposedly woke me up.

When it happens to me nowadays im scared to fall back asleep but when it does happen I just have to shake my head side to side till I wake up. My g/f has noticed me doing this the odd time before waking up. What I want to know is how am I aware of whats going on around me . I am definately asleep yet I can recall things people are saying etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

As for what Morph said:

tried flying (like superman, not in a plane),
    I have these type of dreams every so often and there amazing I too have tried flying in dreams like this . There called lucid dreams were you apparently know your in a dream . This type of dream can be induced by before going to sleep think of an item - Say a huge red elephant etc and when that appears in ya dream you can kinda distinguish some how your dreaming.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast