Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Minority Report - good film, big flaw?

OK, I went to see Minority Report on Saturday. I enjoyed the film, but Tom was supposed to be set up, so how did the bad guy make it happen? What I mean is, the chain of events was set off by Cruise seeing the future, so how did the bad guy manage to start that off?

It was the future vision that made Cruise go and find that bloke in the hotel room and kill him, but there was nothing that would have lead him there naturally.
    krooks

[live=Captin Harris]Captin Harris[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

mmm.......interesting......a good question krooks mate.
    i cannot think of an answer to it....must be a big error.

just like in the film Memento, how did he know that he had the disease? he was constantly explaining that to people without having to look at any tatoo, so how did he know he had the disease?

its the kind of fault were the whole film looks as though it is built round a mistake.

can anyone answer the memento query of mine ?
    We Are....The Mighty Liverpool Reds

Seen a Movie lately? Share your opinions in the Movie Section

"There is no doubt we are in the shadow of Liverpool, but we are doing out utmost to compete with them." - David Moyes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats the whole paradox of seeing into the future, just like in Bill an Ted when they place all those convenient tools they will need around the place after they have got out and travel back to place them where they will need them, LOL

Just accept it I think it's the whole point of the film that the future isnt set and you can make it what you want, and the reason that there are minority reports when there are disagreements between the prethingy's because they are just predictions.

All the dude had to do was setup that ped0 in the room, the prewhatsit was obviously prefixed on that episode where he did the nasty deed to her mum so it's not a giant leap to also see what he could be planning and how it could turn out.

What bothered me more was how he was using his eyes to access all the topsecret areas after he had been withdrawn from service, I mean if they could make is car return in an instant then surely they would have withdrawn his access to the temple. And yet he continues to use them to gain access to these places are the cops dumb or what !!!!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think the best film to actually explain time travel was the Back to the Future trilogy, very well written and even to a point belivable, but I still dont think going back in time is possible , as nice as it would be. There will always be little errors, like what happens to the original body whilst the "time traveling body" is flying about in Hyper time ? and what would really happen if you could go back to see yourself or be in the same "physical area"? I still think that you can only be in one place AND time at the same time, so sorta kills the whole time travel thing unless you are talking about the time loss issues when you approach the speed of light etc, at least thats proven.

mmmmm fuk it, just watch the film

Thanks
    Karma Level

of course time travel is possible you don't think i'm here because i have to be,i came back to be here because i want to be,could not bear to be parted from the forum

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hehe I was gonna use BTTF trilogy as an example but couldnt think of a good example in the films, of a complete paradox as it's been that long since I seen it.

Cant wait for the BTTF Trilogy DVD's in september

Thanks
    Karma Level

because the 3 who see the future (cant remember what their called) saw the murder, thats what they do! becuase he didnt know it was going to happen didnt mean it wouldnt happen.

It did happen therefore the prediction was right.

to answer webslingers question, he knew the story about that guy (cant remember his name) who couldnt remember things and killed his wife, therfore making him know his condition.
    [live=p0pid0l]p0pid0l[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Still doesn't explain how the bad guy set him up!
    krooks

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a paradox the whole point of the film.........how can anyone know for any certainty the future (talking in context of the film) before it happens, hence why minority reports exist, ie when there are differences between the predictions made by the 3.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by krooks
    Still doesn't explain how the bad guy set him up!
    Ok.

Agatha has shown Cruise the image of a murder that has happened - he finds out it is Ann Lively, he tells the bad guy. Bad guy thinks - shit - if he finds out who she is, he'll find out about the flaws in the system - better have him killed.

I.E. the vision of the past set off the setup which resulted in the pre-cogs seeing a death.

ALARM - red ball - for cruises murder cos the bad guy has set him up.

And as mini-me says -- the whole point is that cruise finds out no matter what they see, there is a choice.

Or maybe I can't see your point, but I didn't see a flaw there.
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah, I know that the bad guy is thinking, right, I'd better get rid of Cruise, but how did he know that getting Leo Crow in that hotel room with those photos would be enough to make Cruise try and kill him, and hence make the precogs have the vision?

I mean, if he'd given an anonymous tip off to the cops (or Cruise) that there was this child killer stayin in some hotel room, then maybe he would think that was enough to get Cruise to kill him, but that never happened.
    Last edited by krooks; 10th July 2002 at 12:06 PM.
    krooks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by krooks
    ... but how did he know that getting Leo Crow in that hotel room with those photos would be enough to make Cruise try and kill him...
    Cruise, in his dialog says, he/you knew using my son was the only way to get me to kill someone.
    (not a direct quote obv.)

Of course the biggest plot hole was why didn't the bad guy move the mother away from the area where pre-crime worked -- it wasn't nationwide -- and then kill her?

but hey, I really enjoyed it, and after all, it's only a film.
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

Thanks
    Karma Level

First off, big SPOLIER here, if u havent seen it, dont read on

didnt it all happen when, the women pre cog grabbed Tom and goes can u see, then he saw the images of the Ann Lively (i think her name was- pre cogs mum) then when tom got curious he went to the jail got the info on disk and went to that Lamars house and showed him, then after that, lamar set up cruise, cos lamar saw that cruise was onto something.

its fresh in my mind as i just watched it last night at cinema's or i could be wrong

Thanks
    Karma Level
    of course time travel is possible
    If we had the technology it is possible to go in the future, but not back.

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

Thanks
    Karma Level

Webslinger.

In Memento, he only had short term memory loss. He could remember important things that had happened a while previously ( I think, I haven't seen the film for over a year), but sort term he was properly ****ed

Oh yeah, I think biggy7's right on the Minority report plot hole
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

good point matey, if she hadnt of seen that non of the film would have happened, but then again she maybe knew he was going to see that and that trigerd a chain of events to where he killed someone and thats what she saw so then them events happend and led up2 where he kills the guy

Thanks
    Karma Level

The event which triggers everything is the precog showing tom cruise the vision of the past - then the old guy realises tom will find out about minority reports and bring the system down - so he deicdes to kill him.

There is no flaw - which I think is what Biggy was saying.
    NtB
    We'll be coming...

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ mini-me I think BTTF Trilogy is December m8, check Amazon.

@ Roty Ofcourse its possible to time travel in2 the future, I'm doing it right now!

Thanks
    Karma Level

In the whole paradox scheme of things, The Terminator is another one.

In the Terminator they send the dude back to protect Sarah Connor from been off'ed by big arnie. The dude has a wild fling with her and gets her up the duff which then results in the birth of whathisname connor who is gonna save the world. Now if the bloke was never sent back to protect her she would never have never have got preggers and given birth to the kid and and "oh no ive gone cross eyed"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right correct me if im wrong but wouldnt it be possibe to pay a load of people money to actlike they were his kids killer it would be a probability in theory that he would meet one of them and kill them, therefore the event would be pre seen. if it wasnt pre seen then the old man would know to hire more people, paying them on the assuption that the money goes to there family once they are killed.
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast