Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Modded box---xbox live....worth the risk?

Well I went and indulged myself yesterday and bought a 360. Simple question, is it worth the risk to go on xbox live with a modded dvd?

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Modded box---xbox live....worth the risk?

When you say risk, do you mean risk having your xbox banned from live, or risk something worse, such as getting your ass sued by MS? I know a few people who have taken the plunge. Whether or not it is detectable i don't know. To be fair though, if you pay over £200 for something, you have the right to do whatever the hell you want to it, mod it, whatever. If MS want to stop people playing on live then they can simply ban them if they have evidence that people are playing games they do not legally own. It is going to be fairly hard to get the evidence though i should imagine.
    LEEDS AND PROUD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Safest way is to have 2 360`s.

Play all the copies on the modded 360, then swap over the HD to the retail 360 on Live and let it update your gamerscore

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just Do It.

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BFG
    Just Do It.
    agreed - if you get banned you get banned, sell it on ebay and buy a new one!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dooo it, Dooo it, Dooo it

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm probably going the route of a 2nd system. Probably a Core and swap over my HDD as rIKmAN says.

As time goes on a 2nd-hand system should be cheap enough...
    360 Gamertag: crazyai
    PSN Gamertag: psxgalaxy
    IM me at pushme.to

Thanks
    Karma Level

Do it, Do it, Do it .... I have modded about 7 360's now and all my friends use them on live no problems of yet - only time will tell ... But if unsure then do what I did and go out and buy a 2nd 360 one for mod and one for live ...

Added to that the fact that the 360 chip is out which patches the fw on the fly .. this should help if M$ cannot detect this chip ..

So you pay your money you have the choice ...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

yay!!! DO IT lol, methinks I will

as others have said...if ms are detecting the mod but not banning yet and just gathering evidence, wouldn't swapping the hd not work? I mean where do they store this info if not on the hd? If the dash detects the mod and then stores that it has detected it even tho you only go on live with an unmodded dvd (ie using a chip) then wouldn't putting that hd into an untouched 360 also screw that one up? Just pondering that's all

Thanks
    Karma Level

I upgraded a mates 360 for him and he has been using it on live with backup games with no problems so far.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont think the firmwares detectable, playing copies probly is tho if each game has its own unique id and then 1000 people log on with the sameone, but they cant ban them all, cause sum1 will probly b using the original one, on the old xbox if u had it chipped the m$ systems didnt recognise your system as an actual xbox as it had been modified, they cudnt detect a mod (they said they could) but all they cud see at there end is that something other than an xbox logged onto live, obviously it could have only bin a moded xbox
    as far as this firmware goes theyl bring out dashboard updates which dont support our firmware, but then you could flash it with sum other firmware and get round it anyways, guna b hard this time for em i suspect

m$ shouldnt sue the people that do this, if they had any brains theyd hire them to help protect the console, saying that, they probly work at m$ or have m8s that do lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin M
    i dont think the firmwares detectable, playing copies probly is tho if each game has its own unique id and then 1000 people log on with the sameone, but they cant ban them all, cause sum1 will probly b using the original one, on the old xbox if u had it chipped the m$ systems didnt recognise your system as an actual xbox as it had been modified, they cudnt detect a mod (they said they could) but all they cud see at there end is that something other than an xbox logged onto live, obviously it could have only bin a moded xbox
    as far as this firmware goes theyl bring out dashboard updates which dont support our firmware, but then you could flash it with sum other firmware and get round it anyways, guna b hard this time for em i suspect

m$ shouldnt sue the people that do this, if they had any brains theyd hire them to help protect the console, saying that, they probly work at m$ or have m8s that do lol
    Hi,

Dont want to be rude, but you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Posting this stuff on forums causes the spread of misinformation and confuses people.

Backups are easily detectable by Microsoft, just as soon as they want to start looking for them. It's in Microsofts short term interests to have a hacked box, allowing them to get a much larger userbase before the ps3 hits the market.

You can pretty much guarantee the bans will come, and unless their is a mod available, once a 360 is banned, there is no bringing it back (yet).

This next bit is pure speculation, but seems like a good plan to me if I was Microsoft.

Apparently, the first to 10 Million sales is the winner (not sure where I read that)

1) 360 sales increase due to the hack being released. Lots of people playing 1st gen backups on Xbox live. No a great deal of cheating going on due to the signed code (although data is not signed)

2) Around August time, a big release game will have code in it that will detect firmware changes, and possibly alert microsoft but not do anything about it. This code cannot be removed, as it will destroy the signing on the game.

3) End of August, Xbox live bannings start. No way to get 360 back on Live, so lots of people go out and buy a 2nd 360 for live usage and original games only. Greatly boosting 360 sales before the ps3 release.

4) September, new firmware hack is released to get around the checks. The banned 360's remain banned as no way to change unique machine id.

Cat and mouse game to follow, with different checks implemented by microsoft, and different firmware releases to get around the checks.

Blah...

Glen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

so evidence for microsoft would be the fact that i've played 38 games on my 360

seriously though do you think microsoft will care a great deal how many are modded? surely it affects the software sales but console sales increase drastically

look at it this way the main reason the playstation is so popular is the fact that its so easily modded and the games are piss easy to copy. How many ps ones or ps2s do you think there are in the world that havent been modded???

i agree with everything glencook said except i dont see bannning from xbox live happening though, they will want a large user base to compete with sonys online service. Got a question though, if you pay for a years worth of xbox live and then you get banned the next week wouldnt you be entitled to a refund from m$? I just dont see m$ pissing people off like that not when possible leadership over the fony gaystation is at stake

just my 2 cents....

Thanks
    Karma Level

M$ won`t be making money on the hardware - in fact they will be losing oney on every unit sold. They make the big moolah on software.

As Glen says, it`s in M$ short erm interests to do nothing as loads people will buy a 360 now it`s been modded, boosting the userbase before the PS3 release.

After this userbase is installed they can ban whoever they want as they have established their market, and then start making money on the sales of games as people go out and buy a second 360 and original games for Live.

I`m going the 2 console route,getting a second core for Live and will swap over the HD to transfer gained gamerpoints on the modded machine my "legit" Live account.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Microsoft loses money on the 360, around £100 for everyone sold. They take this loss as their business model suggests that the average console gamer will purchase 40 games over the lifetime of the machine.

Software sales are almost pure profit, the disc and packaging costing only pennies to produce. They will ban xbox's as you are damaging their income.

The xbox is banned from live, not you. You can play with your gamertag on another 360 that isn't banned, so you wont get a refund.

Glen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by rIKmAN

I`m going the 2 console route,getting a second core for Live and will swap over the HD to transfer gained gamerpoints on the modded machine my "legit" Live account.
    Bah, beat me to the reply by a few seconds

One thing to remember, although I'm not to sure if it's pertinent or not. Orginal xbox's were also banned using the hard drive serial number.

Although with the 360 drive being removable, I'm not sure how they will go with this one.

Glen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont c how ms is goin 2 find out that u have modded ur 360 just through live and i dont they really wannt mess up their sales cos that is wot is makin d 360 sell

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Andy0228
    i dont c how ms is goin 2 find out that u have modded ur 360 just through live and i dont they really wannt mess up their sales cos that is wot is makin d 360 sell
    A simple forced dashboard update can perform any number of checks on the disc.

1) A simple checksum test on the drive will determine if it's modded or not

2) All copied games have the security sector in a fixed place on the disc, MS can check the disc to see if this exists.

Glen.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if the firmware makers are to be believed, they are working on firmware to return the correct checksum when/if the dashboard requests it.

even with modded consoles, MS can still make money out of people. we still have to pay for most of the downloadable content.

Thanks
    Karma Level

hmmm I'd personally only go online if I had a original disc. Although I'd be peeved if they banned playing a original on a homebrew machine hehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast