Close

Thread: Digital con.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Digital con.

Is it me or is this digital switch over a con? I mean the picture is no better? The sound is the same??

The only difference is, three of my boxes don't work anymore. The T.V flickers now and again.
    This is the same for many of my friends. Is this another con like the millenium disc was??

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Digital con.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisar View Post
    Is it me or is this digital switch over a con? I mean the picture is no better? The sound is the same??

The only difference is, three of my boxes don't work anymore. The T.V flickers now and again.
    This is the same for many of my friends. Is this another con like the millenium disc was??
    You're crazy if you think gaining 30 channels (some to be HD) is a con. 3 of your boxes dont work?? What boxes, are you on about your TVs? They will work, you just need a freeview receiver plugged into each of them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ooooh,, whats a millenium disc.???

anyhow:-

Why Is Digital TV Better?

Why are we switching to digital television broadcasts? Aside from the money the government gets from auctioning off the old analog broadcast spectrum, there are some very real benefits for you, the viewer.
    The first thing you'll notice about a digital broadcast is that it looks better than current TV broadcasts. A digital picture is noticeably sharper and less prone to ghosting, snow, and other reception problems. What you see on your TV set is an exact reproduction of what's broadcast; the digital signal doesn't degrade as an analog signal does.
    It's kind of like the way digital DVDs look better than analog videotapes, and digital CDs sound better than analog records. DTV has a much improved picture over what you're used to with analog television. You'll see the difference with your first DTV broadcast.
    DTV also enables broadcasts in high definition, which really looks better than current standard-definition TV. Now, not every digital broadcast is in high definition, but you can't have high-definition television (HDTV) without digital transmission. So if you want to receive HDTV programming, you need digital broadcasting.
    Of course, it's not just the digital picture that's better. DTV broadcasts have crystal-clear digital stereo sound, as well—and HDTV broadcasts feature Dolby Digital surround sound. A DTV broadcast both looks and sounds better than what you're used to.
    And here's another big benefit to DTV. Because digital broadcasting makes more efficient use of the airwaves, broadcasters can cram more data into a given frequency range. That means that a television station can transmit multiple digital channels; instead of a single channel from your local TV station, you may be able to receive two, three, or more channels of programming. That's a big benefit when you're looking for something interesting to watch.

http://www.informit.com/articles/art...15429&seqNum=2

the thing is you dont often realize how much better things are till you go back to the older thing, then it hits you.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I watched an old episode of sum 80s crap series the other day and the picture quality was DIRE. well when i say watched i was flicking thru the channels like you do when the adverts are one. Digital has a better resolution and HDTV is there also. but old programs before the new high def are deff crap

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wot will they think of next (blue Ray)
    If your happy with the help push the rep button

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    You're crazy if you think gaining 30 channels (some to be HD) is a con. 3 of your boxes dont work?? What boxes, are you on about your TVs? They will work, you just need a freeview receiver plugged into each of them.
    No i was talking about my free view boxes. As soon as the digital switch over occured, everything went tits up. My first free view box went blank with no life in it.
    The second box would not tune in and the 3rd is working but hardly as it flickers.

I also have a friend that owns a t.v with a built in free view box, since the switch over it's gone dead.

Plus when i put my ariel straight into the t.v i get no reception anymore?

-------
    Yea there was surposed to be a millenium bug in the year 2000, so.....

The millenium disc was a program that you install onto your computer, it was surposed to make your computer work in the year 2000. So people like myself was taken advantage of .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I watched an old episode of sum 80s crap series the other day and the picture quality was DIRE. well when i say watched i was flicking thru the channels like you do when the adverts are one. Digital has a better resolution and HDTV is there also. but old programs before the new high def are deff crap
    But how much of that was down to the cameras when it was filmed?

The only thing that bugs me about digital is when they don't allocate enough bandwidth, the blockiness at times is horrendous and makes it worse than an old ghosting analogue picture.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I assume you've tried a retune, stations move from time to time but the digital broadcast format has not changed.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

they will just need retuning as many of the channels moved location.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisar View Post
    No i was talking about my free view boxes. As soon as the digital switch over occured, everything went tits up. My first free view box went blank with no life in it.
    The second box would not tune in and the 3rd is working but hardly as it flickers.

I also have a friend that owns a t.v with a built in free view box, since the switch over it's gone dead.

Plus when i put my ariel straight into the t.v i get no reception anymore?
    I assume this all happened around 30th September? Five moved frequencies which had a knock on effect on all other channels.

http://www.five.tv/articles/re-tune-your-tv

As for the millenium disc, did you pay for this disc? What made you think your computer wouldn't work after year 2000? The worst that would happen is the date on it would have reverted to 1st Jan 1970 but the computer would still have been fully functional.