Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newsgroups

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Newsgroups

hi all
    could anyone give me a dickheads guide to newsgroups and how to use them ive got
    grabit
    xnews
    newsbin pro
    and lots of other stuff relating to newsgroups i just wanna be able to d/l stuff out of it
    ive visited http://www.slyck.com/newsgroups2.html
    and a couple of other sites but cant get my head around it all so a nice easy idiots guide would be great
    thanx

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi sbaxter9 i'm very fresh to all this as well and like u downloaded several programs, the one that i found easiest to use is Grabit so if your like me stick with this for know.
    U need to enter a news server into grabit to get going which u do by clicking on edit at the top left and going into preferences there r lots of free news servers around and your internet provider will most probably have one to, i'm with ntl and the address for them is news.cable.ntlworld.com here's a couple of free ones but i've not tried them yet so i don't know if they work or not:

biggulp.readfreenews.net
    leech.news.easynet.net

Once u have set grabit up u select all groups and up date the list next u need to find the groups that have what u r looking for, I use these links to find what i want:

http://www.nfonews.com/
    http://binaries.502overloaded.net/

If u get stuck here's a link to the tutorials for grabit:

http://www.shemes.com/grabit/forum/viewforum.php?f=6

BTW
    U will need this eventually : http://www.fluidstudios.com/fsraid.html
    It helps u to recover corrupt files, but cross that bridge when u get to it.

Jonny
    Last edited by JONNYG; 19th July 2002 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers johny
    i want to d/l movies and software mp3
    im with pipex so ill use there news server ive got loads of proggys for newsgroups but cant seem to get the hang of them ill stick with it and see what happens
    Get your stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!"

Thanks
    Karma Level

try direct connect (see forum main board), kazaa, edonkey2000
    for movies and mp3s et al.
    my pipex sees about 2gigs a day coming in and out...

Bug

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just tried Grab It and found it was an excellent resource. It has full tutorials from how to install to grabbing.

Thanks
    Karma Level

x-news is by the best software. Install it and connect to a newserver. Once you've collected a list of newsgroups subscribe to a newsgroup and start downloading.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just my two pence worth.
    Dont take my word for this when you get on the newsgroups just ask the guys on there me for one what they use because 9 out of 10 downloaders prefer Agent :signs: it will even cope with y enc which can be a pain but saves bandwidth.
    Ferret

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I am a pipex customer also, their newsgroup server is SEVERLY missing parts/complete posts etc. What I did was subscribe to Claranews when it was 20 quid, and also subscribed to easynews (About 7 quid per month).
    Then, just use newsbin pro (I paid for it as it's so good!), and set up my servers to access pipex, then claranews, then easynews. This way, about 80% of my download is from pipex, and 15% from clara and 5% from easynews. This saves me credit on easynews which I use to download old stuff that only their servers retain (by old stuff I mean stuff posted say more than 3 days back as that is the retention time of the other servers). To save my self from downloading loads of headers for easynews to access something old, I just download what I want from their excellent zip manager on the webpage. Only major downfall to this is that downloading an unencoded file direct from their webpage costs you more credit (as yenc compresses stuff at about 15% but the webpage unencodes before downloading thus deducting the actual file size from your credits).

Sorry for ranting but that might help you if it didn't put you off altogether
    In a nutshell, usenet is a gold mine for those without top sites. It beats all irc/share clients/fxp warez.
    Last edited by Jarre; 1st August 2002 at 11:21 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Top advice peeps.

I always had problems getting my head around obtaining files via newsgroups.
    I installed Grab It and it's a peice of piss! Solid max download rates and no need to suscribe to another newsgroup provider (ntl ng service is fine). I've already stopped using edonkey.

thanks again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Use xnews, it's one of the easiest proggy to use. Grab it is good too but it's not as flexible as xnews. I used to use Agent but it did have its limitation (THEN). Haven't tried the 1.91 but I heard it's much better than the older version. At least it has internal decoder so you don't have to install a proxy.

Once installed xnews, enter the required details, your isp news server etc. Then get all the 'rooms' which will take a while there there are 50000 of them or something. Then you pick those you want. Just narrow the number down by typing ie. warez, doggystyle..etc (let me know if you want a list of good rooms - np perverse stuff plz, but I am sure you will find what you want yourself)

then mark the room by pressing '=' or something. Then just double click the room and it should load the headers (mostly 'stuff' that split into lots of messages with attachements.) Just press spacebar to highlight what you download and then F4 to start downloading.

Yeah, NTL is fine, don't need to subscribe another news service. Xnews can max your d/l rate too.

However, it's wise to use more than one news reader as sometimes one gets data better than the other. I find Grab it download headers better than xnews. Xnews needs cache clearing every now and again (more often than Grab it anyway)

My 2p.....ignore it if you want to.
    Last edited by smack; 28th August 2002 at 05:44 PM.
    Smackie

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers m8 very intresting
    thanx for the reply

Thanks
    Karma Level

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Gonna try xnews tonight.

I suffered from ntl's poor retention on their newsgroup service last night. As a result of that I ended up paying 50 quid for 1 years access on claranews. I was able to find the posts that I missed and continued downloading.

Now that I have forked out, I better make sure I make full use of claranews and meet the 20GB limit every month! Lovely jumbly.

Can anyone tell me what happens when you reach that limit? Does it resfuse any further access/download? Or do you end up with extra charges?

ta

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive used xnews and it seems fine ive worked out how to download but how do i download all the files needed and where are they for instance
    part 3 of 4 now where will i find the other files there not directly underneath or below
    thanx for the help

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ZX7R

You shouldn't pay that 50 quid imo. NTL server has been very good overall. I haven't had any problem with it, of course the peak time speed decrease is unavoidable whichever ISP you use. There was just one day last week I think that the server stopped and there was no data came through. Ended up having few files missing. Apart from that, it's been great.

again, my 2p
    Smackie

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by smack
    @ZX7R

You shouldn't pay that 50 quid imo. NTL server has been very good overall. I haven't had any problem with it, of course the peak time speed decrease is unavoidable whichever ISP you use. There was just one day last week I think that the server stopped and there was no data came through. Ended up having few files missing. Apart from that, it's been great.

again, my 2p
    Yeah it is ace but I found that because of it's retention period, I missed some posts from a large release (3 cd's worth of data).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think typical newsgroup access from ISPs is poor as the retention rate is slow and d/l from Newgroups is one of those things, u either get it or you dont. As an alternative can I suggest the oft overlooked Filetopia, yes its p2P but what other p2p can offer you the films same day they appear up on vcdquality? And no fakes / viruses. Check out filetopia 2.10 (ignore 3.xx for now, its still testing). Come into FBO room, I am always there as DrMabuse2k2 and I will give you a hand if you mention u are from DF
    www.rickwitter.net
    Rick Witter and the Dukes

Thanks
    Karma Level

wheres the FBO room m8

Thanks
    Karma Level

its ok m8 ive found it couldnt see you in there sent drmab a message hope to see you in there soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah seen you mate, I'm op on a few rooms so get me films VERY quick, gimme a shout and I will send you whatever as I often have long q's
    www.rickwitter.net
    Rick Witter and the Dukes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast