Close

Thread: Close Calls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Close Calls

This could be a completely useless boring thread but I thought it would be good reading our tales of close calls, drops and crashes. I'll start...

Crashes:

Right hand turn 5mph over a wet drain cover. Whooops! Front wheel goes, I roll off. Damaged indicater, left fairing and scratched leathers. Sad excuse for crash/drop.

Close Calls:
    80Mph> down a dark country road that I didn't know that well, trying to keep up with a local in his Porshe. He obviously knew the roads better than I did. Bike went up a mud/field embankment righthand corner but somehow came back down again. I was posed ready to jump off of the thing into the field!

Drops:
    Once while back paddling up a slope. Scratched fairing. Easy repair.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Close calls: I've stoppied my RS125 a few times. Back wheel only went a foot or so off the ground but it always scares the hell out of me. Must remember that traffic lights turn red after they go orange.

Drop: Not my fault, but the bloody wind blew it over before Xmas! I'm glad I only patched up the repaires though, 'cos...

...Crash: 2 months ago doing just 25 mph down the Greenford Road a tit in a car pulls out infront of me when I'm almost on top of them. I still cannot remember the actual incident (nor the 15 mins preceding it, nor anything at all in the hour immediately afterwards!) but I'm told I swerved and managed to avoid the bloke only to be scuppered by the bollards / cross-the-road point Ealing council had planted in my escape route. Nowt broken 'cept the bike, I'm still efiin' sore almost everywhere though. Drove my bike again for the first time earlier this week, but only around the carpark it's been stored it since. Needs plenty of work done, sob sob, and I still want to find someone friendly who'll de-restrict it on a baby driver's restricted licence..?

stan.

Thanks
    Karma Level

last week i wrote off my instructing bike (RF600R)

A505 near pampisford just about to tip the bike into a left turn at about 25mph when a kamikasi rabbit flung itself under the front tyre, bike went down, scuffed the left side up and ripped out a blanking plug in the lower cases of the engine in such a way that it is not a viable repair.

all i can say is

BOLLOX.

now im on a poxy ER5 until the insurance stumps up for the bike to be replaced - at least it's not my insurance

Thanks to tiggerbiker

ZX7R (31st January 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Close Calls

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    last week i wrote off my instructing bike (RF600R)

A505 near pampisford just about to tip the bike into a left turn at about 25mph when a kamikasi rabbit flung itself under the front tyre, bike went down, scuffed the left side up and ripped out a blanking plug in the lower cases of the engine in such a way that it is not a viable repair.

all i can say is

BOLLOX.

now im on a poxy ER5 until the insurance stumps up for the bike to be replaced - at least it's not my insurance
    fook, id forgotten about this - thanks ZX7R for digging this one up!!

i actually fixed the bike by TIG welding the oil pressure test port blanking plug back in place, i continued to use the bike for about 6 months then sold it it a student when he passed his test.

Thanks to tiggerbiker

ZX7R (31st January 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

thrills n spills eh i could write a book

where do i begin.....
    i havn't ridden a bike for years now (the wife won't let me) but during the mid 80's i had loads of fun i was never off them.

first accident was on a suzuki rg 125 down a fairly quet road a woman pulled out of a side street and i woke up 5 hours later with a broken jaw (remember alien helmets there shit the jaw piece collapses) the bike was totalled forks into the engine ect..
    this bike had only done 1125 miles from new it was 2 weeks old

first minor spill i was a pillion on my own bike a suzuki rg 500 this time (bought it a couple of days after the rg 125 incedent ****ing awesome ) the pillock who was riding decided to let the bike more or less fall out of a junction turning right and rely on the power to straighten it ( on a mean 2 stroke in the wet what was he thinking) any way after doing a full circle i was pretty pissed at the guy end result was furring damage and a scraped silencer
    next spill was on a suzuki xn 85 turbo i dropped it at around 5 mph ( that was one heavy bike ) end result furring damage dented tank broken crank cases and the usual indicater footrest damage (thank god for comprehensive insurance)
    last major spill was on a suzuki rg 250 ( i liked the rg's ) going round a fairly major left hand bend at 60 ish mph any way the front end broke away and i ended up on the other side of the road on the pavement with the bike next to me i was ok just the usual gravel rash but the bike was in a sorry state it had hit the kurb with the back end of the bike so the damage was quite extensive now this particular spill put me off a bit because i used to go round this bend every day at the same speed same line it was nothing unusual i even checked to see if there was diesel splillage or anything that could have caused the spill and found nothing

there's quite a few more but some were just down right embarrasing :o:

i had a lot of fun on bikes despite the spills i never broke anything major or damaged anyone despite the lunatic capers we used to get upto in the early ours of the morning (less traffic then) but alas i don't think i will be doing it again
    Last edited by cosmicma; 4th September 2002 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Close Calls

I live about 40km out of the city that I work in. One day, coming home from work on my Honda 750 Shadow, I hit a bad pothole on my highway, causing my bike to "bottom out", then my rear started to "fishtail". Being on the highway, I was traveling at 110kph. While scary, I was fortunately able to bring the bike under control without dumping it. I was still a fairly new rider at the time, but that taught me to ALWAYS pay attention to where you're going and while enjoying the freedom of a bike, not to get distracted by it.